Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

Why would you bring him up after September 1st? If he isn’t on the 40 man before September he wouldn’t be eligible for the playoff roster. Maybe I am missing something but that would make absolutely no sense to me. The whole point of bringing him up is to make a run at the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

If they are going for the Wildcard they need to call up Gunnar and find another starter,

I am not sure at this point you can complain about any of these 5 starters.   No not what I expected but they have been impressive.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/nine-prospects-who-could-be-impact-callups

Gunnar Henderson, SS/3B, Orioles (MLB No. 2)
Henderson can make a case for being baseball's best prospect, and he's probably a better pure hitter than Álvarez while possessing considerable power as well. He's also performing much better in Triple-A -- .279/.388/.502 with 11 homers in 61 games at age 21 -- while playing all over the infield. He'd be an all-around upgrade over Rougned Odor at second base and provide more offense than Jorge Mateo at shortstop or Ramón Urías at third base as the Orioles try to make up ground in the Wild Card race.

5 hours ago, Gurgi said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/nine-prospects-who-could-be-impact-callups

Gunnar Henderson, SS/3B, Orioles (MLB No. 2)
Henderson can make a case for being baseball's best prospect, and he's probably a better pure hitter than Álvarez while possessing considerable power as well. He's also performing much better in Triple-A -- .279/.388/.502 with 11 homers in 61 games at age 21 -- while playing all over the infield. He'd be an all-around upgrade over Rougned Odor at second base and provide more offense than Jorge Mateo at shortstop or Ramón Urías at third base as the Orioles try to make up ground in the Wild Card race.

So he is an upgrade over every player in the infield….can someone remind me again why he is not up?!? I have been the guy preaching patience and “stick with the plan”, but that was because I was confident he was coming up after the rookie deadline.

My frustration level is growing by the day.

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:32 AM, IPlayGM said:

So he is an upgrade over every player in the infield….can someone remind me again why he is not up?!? I have been the guy preaching patience and “stick with the plan”, but that was because I was confident he was coming up after the rookie deadline.

My frustration level is growing by the day.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't call him up other than the reason Elias gave the other day: that he hasn't graduated the level yet. He specifically said his K% is too high and that his righty/lefty splits are a bit skewed.

If that's the true motivation--and again I don't see why it wouldn't be given that they're not tanking and service time isn't an issue anymore--then it's justifiable. You want to set a top prospect up for success as best as possible and not sacrifice that for the potential boost to a team that isn't a true contender.

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't call him up other than the reason Elias gave the other day: that he hasn't graduated the level yet. He specifically said his K% is too high and that his righty/lefty splits are a bit skewed.

If that's the true motivation--and again I don't see why it wouldn't be given that they're not tanking and service time isn't an issue anymore--then it's justifiable. You want to set a top prospect up for success as best as possible and not sacrifice that for the potential boost to a team that isn't a true contender.

Or the plan is to promote him after the cutoff next season to try for the seventh year of team control.

That's a reason.

Does anyone think that his long term prospects as a player would be negatively impacted if he got called up and struggled for a few weeks?

Edited by Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or the plan is to promote him after the cutoff next season to try for the seventh year of team control.

That's a reason.

Does anyone think that his long term prospects as a player would be negatively impacted if he got called up and struggled for a few weeks?

The cutoff has basically already passed.  I have to believe that they plan on him starting in the majors next year to possibly get the extra draft pick for ROY, especially since they may lose some service time for Adley if he finishes top 2.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a reason.

Sure, that's a reason. But it's not one I'm giving serious credence yet. If it's bombs away from here or whatever Elias said, then I think Gunnar has to be on the opening day roster to start 2023. One thing was them doing that to Adley this year when there was no expectation of this team contending, but doing that again next year in the name of getting Gunnar another 100 ABs at AAA is different. If he swings one or two games in April, that could be the difference in getting an extra home game in October.

Maybe. Maybe not. But what for? This team isn't a true contender. I root for the O's every night and hope they get into the playoffs, but this is clearly not the year.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The cutoff has basically already passed.  I have to believe that they plan on him starting in the majors next year to possibly get the extra draft pick for ROY, especially since they may lose some service time for Adley if he finishes top 2.

You chose to believe that.

But that doesn't mean you should discount the possibility that it won't be the case.

Given what we have seen it is on the table as a possibility.

These are the reason I think he might not be up.

1. Elias doesn't think he's an upgrade
  2. Elias doesn't want to lose the 40 man roster spot
  3. Elias is worried it will impede his development
  4. Elias is leaving the option open to game his clock next season.

Anyone got another theory to add?