Will the O's Make the Playoffs?

Bahama O's Fan

Nah. At the end of the day I think there are just too many teams to battle who are roughly in the same spot. 

Also, you have to look at the bullpen. It's starting to crack - I don't trust any of the following right now: Akin, Baker, Perez, Vespi, Krehbiel. I trust Tate and Bautista and that's about it. I think the weight of carrying this team is starting to show a bit. They could bounce back, sure, but there aren't any real reinforcements coming, bullpen wise. And no I do not count Hall because I don't think he'll be trustworthy either (yet). 

Edited by interloper

What's it looking like for the last playoff spot, like 88 wins? If the Orioles win 88 games that would be a single year improvement of 36.  In the last 130 years the biggest year-over-year improvement is 35 games by the '98-99 D'Backs who signed Randy Johnson, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzales, Buyng-Hyun Kim, Armando Reynoso, and Todd Stottlemyre in the offseason.

The 1989 Orioles improved by 32.5 games, the 2012 Orioles by 24.  So... odds are long. But youneverknow.

Gregg Olson was on both the 1989 Orioles and the 1999 D'backs.  Anyone got a way to find him, get him here for the stretch run?  I think he's on the Twitter...

• Upvote 4

No.

I think they'll be above .500 for the year though which would be insane and nothing to sneeze at.  Missing the playoffs would be a bit sad but if anyone were to be asked back in April if they'd be happy with a team that won more than 81 games but missed a wild card spot, we'd all take it in a minute.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nah. At the end of the day I think there are just too many teams to battle who are roughly in the same spot. 

Also, you have to look at the bullpen. It's starting to crack - I don't trust any of the following right now: Akin, Baker, Perez, Vespi, Krehbiel. I trust Tate and Bautista and that's about it. I think the weight of carrying this team is starting to show a bit. They could bounce back, sure, but there aren't any real reinforcements coming, bullpen wise. And no I do not count Hall because I don't think he'll be trustworthy either (yet). 

Grayson gets promoted, one of the starters to the pen.

Tyler Wells probably returns to the pen over innings limits

Edited by wildcard

Yes.  Forty games left, just 2.5 games behind Mariners and Blue Jays, and 3 behind Rays.  Best record in AL East over the last three months.  Lineup and defense should improve with Gunnar’s arrival.  One of the teams ahead of the O’s is going to stumble.

https://www.ballysports.com/news/amp/mlb-power-rankings-orioles-running-away-with-al-east-since-mid-june

Edited by jdwilde1
Added link