Is Hyde The Manager Moving Forward?

ORIOLE33

24 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Hmm, that's interesting. Does it not belie the team's rep for comebacks and late-inning snatching of victories from the gloves of defeat?

Well, they are better than average in each inning.  But I pointed out in a previous thread that the Orioles haven’t had that many more comebacks than an average team has.

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, they are better than average in each inning.  But I pointed out in a previous thread that the Orioles haven’t had that many more comebacks than an average team has.

Mea culpa: I see now that I read the MLB figures as the Orioles' and v.v.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:41 PM, Frobby said:

Fair question.  MLB average (O’s in parentheses).

Leading after 5: .857 (.917)

Leading after 6: .885 (.980)

Leading after 7: .915 (.962)

Leadind after 8: .952 (.965)

Thinking about this a little bit, that means a typical, average MLB team goes about 13-1 each month when leading after seven. If the Orioles numbers hold up they'll only lose 3-4 games all year when leading after seven.

Even a .500 team just getting through the fifth with a lead means you'll only lose two of those a month.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

After the rebuilding phase is over, most teams go out and get an established manager. Now that expectations will be higher in 2023, how long do you see the Orioles rolling with Hyde? And I’m not hear saying that Hyde is a bad manager and I know he’s going to get a few manager of the year votes, but is he good enough to be at the helm of a team that’s expected to win? 

God I hope so. Would be idiotic to fire him. 

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Thinking about this a little bit, that means a typical, average MLB team goes about 13-1 each month when leading after seven. If the Orioles numbers hold up they'll only lose 3-4 games all year when leading after seven.

Even a .500 team just getting through the fifth with a lead means you'll only lose two of those a month.

I think the O’s, while well above average in this regard this year, seem spectacular because they were so awful last year, blowing leads after 5 innings 15 times.   O’s fans have gotten conditioned to this over the last several years.   

Of course, not blowing leads is not just a reflection on the bullpen.   It speaks to whether starters are imploding in the 6th inning, and whether the offense is adding tack-on runs to make the bullpen’s job easier.