Sports Guy

Off the top of my head:

Hunter Pence

Braun

Fielder

D. Young

Gordon

B. Butler

Sizemore (not sure if he is in third or fourth season)

Kendrick

R. Martin

Verlander

Lincecum

Gallardo

C. Hamels

P. Hughes

Matsuzaka

Loney

Zimmerman, CArmona and Hamilton are close calls.

I don't know enough about some of those guys, so I won't include them...my list:

Fielder

Sizemore

Verlander

Lincecum

P. Hughes

Matsuzaka

Zimmerman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has Zimmerman shown that he is going to be better? Delmon Young has struggled, though likely has a greater upside.

BJ Upton is hitting way over his head. Holliday is like 28.

Ill stick with offensive players around the same age and not guys above 25 or have been in the league for 4 years. I think these guys are a cut above.

Rios

Fielder

Braun

Kemp(Love this guy)

Sizemore

Other guys I view equal to Markakis,

Chris Young

Delmon Young

Billy Butler

Alex Gordon

Jeff Francoeur

Guys slightly below, meaning I wouldnt accept them straight up for Markakis,

Zimmerman

Loney

Kendrick

Tulowitzki

Quentin

Loney is going to be a stud. He is going to be a great hitter and perhaps an even better defensive player.

Off the top of my head:

Hunter Pence, maybe

Braunway to early to tell on him

Fielder

D. Young

Gordon following a similar path to Markakis

B. Butler Plays no defense

Sizemore (not sure if he is in third or fourth season)

Kendrick why?

R. Martin nah ...

Loney too early to tell.

Zimmerman, CArmona and Hamilton nope

I think your list has way too many players on there.

For sure the ones that I would want over him, position players only are Fielder, Young, and Sizemore. Everyone else it is too early to tell.

I am spending the summer working for Las Vegas Sports Consultants, they guys that make the odds for all the major (and most minor) sports; needless to say, these guys watch a lot of sports and a lot of baseball! I have been watching pretty much all the O's games (and many other games as well) and talking sports with the guys.

One of the oddsmakers, who has been in the business for 20 years, really likes what he sees out of Markakis. He can really hit and really play. During the telecast today he mentioned that he views Markakis as far superior to Melky Cabrera and also Robinson Cano. He also thinks Zimmerman will be a Hall of Famers and the greatest defensive third basemen since Frank Robinson.

The other guy he really likes is Billy Butler--says he is the best pure hitter in baseball (although he can't field).

Anyway, just thought I'd relay some info from some guys who have made a livelihood out of analyzing baseball.

I think your list has way too many players on there.

For sure the ones that I would want over him, position players only are Fielder, Young, and Sizemore. Everyone else it is too early to tell.

You would not want Russell Martin over Markakis? He is a five tool CATCHER. He hits, hits for some power, runs, calls a great game and has a cannon.

Kendrick? Because he is going to be a .330+ hitter with some power.

The question was who I would take over Markakis now. Based upon what I know about the guys I listed from both the minors and from what they have done in the majors, I would, without hesitation, take them over Markakis and I'm a big Markakis fan. Just being objective. I hope I'm wrong.

The consensus around here is that Loney is a poor defender.

Is that a joke? Everyone I've heard speak about him (scouts, GM's, managers, etc.) think he could win 10 gold gloves. I have seen him play often lately and he reminds me a lot of Derrick Lee in the field.

I am spending the summer working for Las Vegas Sports Consultants, they guys that make the odds for all the major (and most minor) sports; needless to say, these guys watch a lot of sports and a lot of baseball! I have been watching pretty much all the O's games (and many other games as well) and talking sports with the guys.

One of the oddsmakers, who has been in the business for 20 years, really likes what he sees out of Markakis. He can really hit and really play. During the telecast today he mentioned that he views Markakis as far superior to Melky Cabrera and also Robinson Cano. He also thinks Zimmerman will be a Hall of Famers and the greatest defensive third basemen since Frank Robinson.

The other guy he really likes is Billy Butler--says he is the best pure hitter in baseball (although he can't field).

Anyway, just thought I'd relay some info from some guys who have made a livelihood out of analyzing baseball.

Someone should tell your friend that although he was a great player Frank never played 3B. His brother Brooks did and he was pretty good at it.:D

Archived