What to watch for last 6 games

eddie83

Orioles elimination number is 1. 

Need 2-4 finish to have a winning record.

Need 2-1 vs TOR to win season series. 

Pitching matchups this weekend 

9/30@NYY Lyles - German 7pm 

10/1             Voth-Cortes 1pm

10/2             Bradish-Severino 1pm 

Lyles is back early due to short start vs BOS and Hyde wanting to give Voth an extra day. NYY is locked into 2 seed unless they win out and HOU losses out. So these games have little meaning for NYY except getting ready for playoffs aside from Judge HR record. The Yankees also have a DH Tuesday in Texas. That may play a role in how Boone handles this series. 

The weather in NY will be fine tonight. Tomorrow’s game looks tricky. Sunday weather is not great but looks to be playable. So possible delay Saturday or postponed and a DH Sunday. 

The home series for BAL against Toronto starts Monday. Currently TOR is one up in loss column to SEA and 2 over TB. They lose tiebreak to both teams. Home field is still at play in 4/5 matchup. 
This weekend in TOR they host Boston 

Pitching matchups 

9/30 Pivetta- Manoah 

10/1  Bello-Stripling

10/2  TBD-Gausman 

Potential Jays-Orioles pitching matchups ???? If stay on current 

10/3  Berrios- Kremer 

10/4     White -Baumann  

10/5      ???????-   Lyles 

This weekend will determine how important last series is for Toronto. 

TB       @ HOU (3) @ BOS

SEA     OAK(3) DET (4) DH Tuesday 

There is no way Manoah will go Wednesday. Clearly they have Manoah and Gausman set up for playoffs. Playoffs start Friday. They also are not going to want to work their pen hard against us as well. Good chance we see Kikuchi against us who has not started since mid August. A part of me would love to ruin their home field advantage. My main hope is to see the Orioles win as many as possible. Odds are Jays will not have home field wrapped up. Would require a sweep over BOS and SEA getting swept, plus 2 TB losses. 

I get the rational thinking that how they Orioles play the last 6 has no bearing on next year. Would stink not to see us wind up with a winning record after this kind of season. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Os don’t win another game, will it sour you on this season?

Not for the entire season but a minor blip in my overall feelings.  These guys are tired and have been playing under pressure with not enough horses to really compete fully.  Whoever we have had has played their butts off.  It has been wonderful to see what we have in Adley, Gunnar, Stowers and Hall.  The emergence of a bona fide pitching program was another nice perk.  Also, the handling of Trey and Lopez was a good move and glad for Trey.  I would love to get one in NY and one v. TOR.

• Upvote 3

If they don't win another game, that will be a 9 - 21 ending to the season.  Playing .300 baseball over the last 30 games would be a really bad way to end what was a good season.  So if they could even go 2 - 4 in these last 6 and end with 82 wins, that would be nice for me at least.  

• Upvote 1

Thrilled with the season.  Disappointed in how it’s wrapping up.  Excited for next year.  Can’t wait to see Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, Cowser and Kjerstad legitimately competing for spots in the Orioles lineup; along with Rodriquez and Hall claiming spots in the rotation.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes and no.  These last 6 games are about seeing what the young players can do.  6 games is a small sample size and ultimately meaningless, but you still want to see Adley, Gunnar, Stowers, Vavra all playing and doing well, finishing strong.

I'd like to see them win two more games, finish above .500.  This hasn't been the month that anyone wanted but I still want to see them fight till the end.  

That said, even if they don't get there, it's still been a hell of a season.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, probably for a month or so, and once in a while after that. It won't just be the season-ending losing streak assumed in the OP, but the way things went once the team put themselves in (or near) WC contention: the ABs given to Aguilar and Odor, the meltdown of the bullpen (I hope from overuse), the lack of situational hitting, all the guys left on base, the losses to Detroit, etc. 

By the winter meetings I'll remember how much this team exceeded expectations, wish I had put some money on the over for wins like I did last year and once or twice before then (all losing bets). I'll recall the potential shown by Rutschman, Gunnar, Stowers, Bautista, Lopez,  Kremer, Wells, Bradish, etc.. and the questions about the Oriole futures of Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Urias, Vavra, Akins, Mateo and others that this season raised or didn't resolve.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It would be a very disappointing finish but I'd still be happy about the season at the ML and minor league levels.  Things are in a good place moving forward and this season provided more entertainment and good times than I ever expected.   

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It would be a very disappointing finish but I'd still be happy about the season at the ML and minor league levels.  Things are in a good place moving forward and this season provided more entertainment and good times than I ever expected.   

This, 80 times over and counting!

3 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I think the tropical storm will likely cancel tomorrow's game and even make Sunday's game difficult. If the O's are eliminated will they even make up the games? Will Judge's HR chase make them make up the games even if it doesn't matter for standings?

I would say that in fairness to Judge, he should be given a full 162-game season to hit as many home runs as possible, even if he already hits #62 tonight. So I expect that the game(s) could be made up on Thursday if necessary.

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I would say that in fairness to Judge, he should be given a full 162-game season to hit as many home runs as possible, even if he already hits #62 tonight. So I expect that the game(s) could be made up on Thursday if necessary.

If there is no competitive reason for the game to take place they should cancel it.

No offense to Judge but you don't play a game just for the sake of one player accumulating stats.