Does the MLB and ESPN want America to pick sides?

NewMarketSean

And become either Yankees or Red Sox fans?

That is the impression that I get. They are probably making money hand over fist with this rivalry so there is no reason for them to change anytime soon.

2011 will be the next work stoppage for a salary cap... I hope.

Do they want them to be "either" Cowboys or Steelers fans?

Either Lakers or Celtics fans?

Did they care about any of those teams during the different down periods they have had during the past 15 years of the ESPN-Hype era?

MLB according to ESPN:

AL- Red Sox, Yankees, Angels

NL- Mets, Cubs, Dodgers

And, like the poster above, I do believe that the MLB, NFL, and NHL Networks will begin to pull away viewers from ESPN. It may not be a drastic viewing change, but I believe some avid fans will go to the official sports' channel.

MLB according to ESPN:

AL- Red Sox, Yankees, Angels

NL- Mets, Cubs, Dodgers

And, like the poster above, I do believe that the MLB, NFL, and NHL Networks will begin to pull away viewers from ESPN. It may not be a drastic viewing change, but I believe some avid fans will go to the official sports' channel.

I certainly will. If the MLB Network actually has balanced coverage that doesn't cover NYY and Boston out of proportion (they can get more coverage because they are good teams, but no more than the other division leaders and top contenders)....then I will jump to their show in a minute and never watch Baseball Tonight again.

I just got home from work and have fired up the Hot Stove show that aired from 7 to 8 on my DVR. It's the first I have sen of it. It's been all about the news of the day -- the Burrell and Bradley signings, Pohlad's death. How refreshing! Actually covering the news even if it doesn't involve the Yankees or Sox. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Do they want them to be "either" Cowboys or Steelers fans?

Either Lakers or Celtics fans?

Pretty much. And maybe the Cavaliers too, but only until LeBron leaves for Europe.

Did they care about any of those teams during the different down periods they have had during the past 15 years of the ESPN-Hype era?

It was a much different era 15 years ago.

It's not the MLB. It's just MLB. Just like you wouldn't say, "Does the NASA want America to pick their favorite space shuttle?" Although maybe you should.

And to answer your question, I personally think that there are a surprising amount of folks at both companies that think that if you don't pull for one of those teams, you must pull for the other.

And become either Yankees or Red Sox fans?

That is the impression that I get. They are probably making money hand over fist with this rivalry so there is no reason for them to change anytime soon.

2011 will be the next work stoppage for a salary cap... I hope.

YESPNESN...of course.

MLB Network...less likely, as it has to answer to all 30 teams.

And remember, a salary cap without enhanced revenue sharing is simply a way to make the rich teams more profitable. This problem must be addressed from the revenue side...the salary issue will then mostly take care of itself.

YESPNESN...of course.

MLB Network...less likely, as it has to answer to all 30 teams.

And remember, a salary cap without enhanced revenue sharing is simply a way to make the rich teams more profitable. This problem must be addressed from the revenue side...the salary issue will then mostly take care of itself.

Well I think that is what the owners will be going for. Steinbrenner will never go for enhance revenue sharing.

Pretty much. And maybe the Cavaliers too, but only until LeBron leaves for Europe.

It was a much different era 15 years ago.

I'm not talking about 1993/1994. I mean during that whole SPAN.

We didn't hear much about the Celtics during their down years, nor the Cowboys. Even the Steelers don't get much press when they are 8-8 and out of the race fairly early.

If the Yankees go into another mid-80s down period (which would be difficult considering their resources, but that really is a separate discussion), they will get a year of "What's happening to the Yankees?" every day, but after that their press will go down fast outside of the big signing or manager firing.

Well I think that is what the owners will be going for. Steinbrenner will never go for enhance revenue sharing.

If he's outvoted 29-1, what's he gonna do...secede? Think anybody'd miss him?

If the Yankees go into another mid-80s down period (which would be difficult considering their resources, but that really is a separate discussion), they will get a year of "What's happening to the Yankees?" every day, but after that their press will go down fast outside of the big signing or manager firing.

The Yankee$ go into "down periods" only when their ownership is incompetent (see CBS in the sixties) or insane (see much of the reign of George III). One can only hope that Hamfisted Hank is a delicious combination of...both.

Archived