40-Man Additions for Rule 5 Deadline

Aristotelian

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The question is do you think any team would take them and keep them on the major league roster for a year?

RZNJ said he would eat his hat if Feliz was protected.  So I am rooting for Feliz even though I think RZ us normally right about these picks.

I'm looking for edible hats online, just in case.

My prediction.   Denoyer and Handley will not be protected.  Feliz neither.   

Protected

Ortiz

Rodriguez

Johnson

Rom (50/50)

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Its fun to think about Luke today tomorrow - he has his three paragraphs ready for the Rule V draft preference list on like 40 guys (10 Rays, 10 Guardians, and 0.7 each for the other 27 Clubs) except these 48 hours he's on like a Slack chat with Sig, Eve, etc. trying to puzzle out why the Rays are asking for precisely so-and-so from the complex leagues.     Assuming he's still doing the gig here.

Go Orioles!

Is the 30 Club hive mind flat enough stuff like this deadline classic can't happen anymore?

Interesting…a trade from a GM less team

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

From what is a now a 34 man roster? Let's see:

1. Cano
2. Vallimont
3. Watkins
4. Kolozsvary
5. Nevin
6. Cameron
7. Cave

Bordlerine:
8. Gillaspie
9. Voth
10. Zimmermann

Yeah, it checks out for the most part assuming we're replacing those guys with better players. 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

I don't know about that.

Watkins had a 4.17 ERA as  starter last season.   He probably will not make it through waivers.

I don't think Gillaspie or Voth get taken off the roster. 

Here is a question.  Hays goes down with an injury in ST.  Who are your 5 outfielder.   Mullins, Santander, Stowers,  Vavra and who?  I think that is why Cave is on the roster.   Especially to  play left at Camden.   And he has a option to be sent down when Hays is healthy.

Elias is not bringing up Cowser early.  Just not in his plan.

RZNJ will fight you on taking Cano off the roster.  He thinks Elias traded for him and believes he can be a good reliever.   We have had that discussion and I see his point.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I listed six (including Krehbiel). Who are the other four? Are you saying we should protect additional guys beyond Handley/Denoyer/Rom?

Krehbiel, Zimmerman, Cano, Gillespie, Vallimont, Kolovsvary, Nevin, Cameron and Cave.

Thats 9.  Probably wouldn’t hurt you to lose Vespi or Watkins but I wouldn’t advocate for it right now.

Of those 9, you don’t release them all now because it depends on who else you add and some of them you would keep over others but overall, losing any of those guys doesn’t really matter and you likely keep all of them in the organization anyway.

Let's say the Orioles don't protect Players on the 40 man MLB list.  When/what is the timeframe for setting the MiLB AAA 38 man roster to prevent being pulled during the MiLB portion?  These players being discussed all seem like they should at least be on the AAA 38 man list if not the 40 man MLB.  

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Interesting…a trade from a GM less team

Haha no...that was just a snapshot of one transaction 6 years back.    Between 2016 and 2018, I believe Friedman drilled down his knowledge further so that instead of giving up a future stud for a random reliever for two months, he wouldn't give up anything much that good for Manny bleepin' Machado.

It felt adjacent to these 48 hours just as transactions involving players even deeper than this board in all its awesomeness follows start to happen, mostly involving the Rays and Guardians.

I think last year at this time Felix Bautista was in the bubble zone, maybe less, for us.   Its a date on the calendar the Club's actions tell us the stuff they know having Statcast everywhere vs. whatever we can see in minor league stats and looks.

Its an appeal to authority slippery slope, but say if Ignacio Feliz gets protected, I'll start forecasting him as an October 2023 roster candidate.    Or maybe he's a minor league free agent...

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't know about that.

Watkins had a 4.17 ERA as  starter last season.   He probably will not make it through waivers.

Here is a question.  Hays goes down with an injury in ST.  Who are your 5 outfielder.   Mullins, Santander, Stowers,  Vavra and who?  I think that is why Cave is on the roster.   Especially to  play left at Camden.   And he has a option to be sent down when Hays is healthy.

RZNJ will fight you on taking Cano off the roster.  He thinks Elias traded for him and believes he can be a good reliever.   We have had that discussion and I see his point.

I agree with you on all of this. I actually deleted my post just because I didn't feel like receiving this exact type of response. That list of guys is who I could see being replaced throughout the season, not all at once ahead of the rule 5. 

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Deadline to add players to the 40 Man Roster for protection from the Rule 5 draft is tomorrow, 6:00 pm. Hope it's OK to post in the Orioles board since the protected players will be on the 40 Man and are almost certain to see at least some time in the Majors. With all the free agents now declared the 40 Man is starting to come into view. 

The 40 Man Roster as it currently stands has six open spots: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

Some players who could be DFA to make additional room: P Gillaspie, P Vallimont, OF Cameron, IF Tyler Nevin, C Kolozvary, P Krehbiel. That would be 7 additional spots, or potentially as many as 13. 

MLB Top 30 players almost certain to be protected: https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-prospects-protected-on-40-man-rosters

Grayson  Rodriguez #4

Seth Johnson #10

Joey Ortiz #17

Drew Rom #19

Additional Rule 5 eligible prospects:

Noah Denoyer - Had a great year primarily at AA. Wasn't great in the AFL but made the Fall Stars team. Appears ready to start in AAA and pitch in MLB if he progresses. Great resume, we have room. Protect.

Maverick Handley - Excellent reputation for defense, has some pop in the bat through AA. Don't want to risk losing him. Protect

Shayne Fontana. Progressed from A+ to AAA in '22, highlighted by .898 OPS at Bowie. Had some injuries and didn't hit in a very small sample at Norfolk (played CF though). Could he be more valuable to keep around than Daz Cameron? Bubble

Ignacio Feliz - Could be another Felix Bautista clone (13 K/9) but 5+ BB/9 and hasn't hit AA yet. I think someone said he may be a minor league FA, so might be N/A. Bubble.

Kyle Brnovich. 11.1 K/9 vs 2.1 BB/9 in AA in '21. Had TJ in May '22.  Could be an interesting Tyler Wells type. Bubble

Easton Lucas. 4.76 ERA at Bowie but 10.3 K/9. Sent to AFL, perhaps for a last look and pitched decently with 11.5 K/9. Bubble.

Zach Peek - Advanced to AA. Decent ERA but K/9 dropped and then got shut down for TJ surgery. Some Tyler Wells risk. Don't Protect.

Cameron Bishop - Advanced to AA in 2021. Pitched 17 innings in AA and cup of AAA coffee last year before shut down in June (anyone know the nature of the injury?). Could be solid but probably not better than anyone in our current bullpen. I could maybe see keeping him over Gillaspie but it's close. Don't Protect.

Connor Gillispie - Repeated A+. Decent peripherals but nothing dominant. Again, close call vs Gillaspie. Hopefully there will be only one Gillaspie/Gillispie left standing if only to reduce confusion. Don't Protect

Robert Neustrom. Going into '22 some thought he had a good chance to make the O's after advancing to AAA and putting up combined 16 HR in '21. He hit 15 HR but only .231/.704 in '22. Some team may want to take a chance on his power but doesn't seem to fit with the O's. Don't Protect.  

Adam Hall and Cadyn Grenier. These guys were decent prospects at one time. Could perhaps be selected as utility guys but don't have a future with the Orioles with so many infielders ahead of them. Don't Protect

Garrett Stallings. Repeated AA. Mostly solid except for an absolutely disastrous stretch in June. Could have been tipping pitches or needed to figure something out. Still, a longshot to be selected. Don't Protect

I'm guessing we keep Denoyer and Handley. That would max out our six open spots.

Of the remaining guys, Feliz and Fontana may have the most upside. I'd be inclined to keep them and lose Cameron and a pitcher (although I'm not sure Feliz is eligible). We have a bunch of reliever types who you'd like to keep but could also be replaced by guys on the waiver wire. Any other predictions?

Great post! It appears we all agree with the four top protected players. After that, I have Denoyer as a probable. The next group on the bubble for me is Lucas, Handley and Brnovich. They could keep just the top four, and I can understand it. Handley has never been in AAA, and catchers are not a good bet in rule 5, historically. Denoyer and Lucas still have a lot to prove and I don’t know what their metrics are. Brnovich with the TJ, who knows if a team likes the nasty CB enough to take him.

I hope they protect the top four, along with Handley and Denoyer,  but I have a feeling they will only protect the top four. 

They could DFA a few like Mark Kolozvary, Logan Gillaspie, Bruce Zimmermann, Tyler Nevin and Jake Cave (split contract). I am beginning to think Vallimont, Cameron and Krehbiel stick for now, the more I think about it. I think they like Vallimont and want more time with him. They could have easily DFA’d him earlier if they were going to. I have seen several comments recently that Vallimont was a shrewd move and they like him a lot. Cameron could be DFA, but I think they like what he brings, for now anyway. Krehbiel was so good for five months, and it just looked like he ran out of gas. He is expendable, sure, but there is something about his funky delivery and stuff that compliments the pen well. 

Elias might set the roster at 38 so he can add a R5 or two, or maybe a waiver claim. 

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Brnovich's TJ was in May, Peek's was in August. Brnovich could actually pitch this year. Not sure if that works for or against his chances of being selected.

You have as much of a chance of being selected as Brnovich in the this year's Rule 5 draft.

I don't think they have much of a roster crunch at all. They have six spots open, and only Grod, Ortiz and Seth Johnson must be added for sure. Any of P Gillaspie, P Vallimont, OF Cameron, IF Tyler Nevin, or C Kolozvary could be DFA'd and would make it through waivers.

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't know about that.

Ryan McKenna?