Palmer thinks Tyler Wells will be a starter next season

wildcard

Listening to Palmer on WBAL Hot Stove he talks about Wells being so good as a starter in the O's 1st half.  He believes that Wells will work on his conditioning this off season and be ready to start coming ST.

O's will no doubt add a starter this off season but it makes some sense that  Wells can help in the 1st  half as a starter along with Grayson.  But innings limits for Grayson and how Wells pitches could change their roles in the 2nd half.  Means and Halls whenever they are ready can help as starters later.  Voth will try for a starting spot but can also relieve.

Considering that Elias/Holt picked up Perez, Baker and Krehbiel off the waiver wire to help in the pen last season,  I would think that they will be adding to the relief staff again this off season.  One way or another.  And relievers come cheaper than starters.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

• wildcard changed the title to Palmer thinks Tyler Wells will be a starter next season
1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

FA/Trade, Rodriquez, Hall, Wells, Bradish would be an interesting rotation.  Kremer to the pen.  Means available mid/late season.  Assuming Hall can hold down a rotation spot, I'm realling liking this group.

Possible but it's hard to believe Kremer goes to the pen unless he has a terrible spring.   I would be pleasantly shocked if Hall starts the year in rotation, unless one of the others went down with injury.   I do agree that if we only get one starter that Wells' chances of being in the rotation are pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Possible but it's hard to believe Kremer goes to the pen unless he has a terrible spring.   I would be pleasantly shocked if Hall starts the year in rotation, unless one of the others went down with injury.   I do agree that if we only get one starter that Wells' chances of being in the rotation are pretty good.

If you flip flop Kremer and Hall and Hall is a dominant middle/late inning reliever, I'm fine with that.  Or, it could be Bradish that gets pushed back.  But having Wells re-establish himself as a starter is good no matter how you slice it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

FA/Trade, Rodriquez, Hall, Wells, Bradish would be an interesting rotation.  Kremer to the pen.  Means available mid/late season.  Assuming Hall can hold down a rotation spot, I'm realling liking this group.

I can see Hall beginning the season in the Norfolk rotation and Kremer in the O's rotation.   Then let performance speak for itself.

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If you flip flop Kremer and Hall and Hall is a dominant middle/late inning reliever, I'm fine with that.  Or, it could be Bradish that gets pushed back.  But having Wells re-establish himself as a starter is good no matter how you slice it.

I'm not attached to any one starter.   I want the best combination of starters and relievers.   Durability does come into question regarding Wells though.   He had issues in 2021 and then it seemed like he was never quite right last year after the first IL stint.   I don't know Kremer, Bradish, or Voth would do in the pen but I have a pretty good idea of what Wells can deliver as a late inning reliever.  So, for that reason, I like the idea of Wells to the bullpen and keeping the other guys as starters.    If they believe Wells can hold up as a starter and pitcher like he did the first 2-3 months over a full season, I'm all for it.

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I like Wells out of the pen in 2-3 inning appearances. I would hope that we add 2 SP this off-season, and Grayson, to Bradish and Kremer. I could see Wells and Kremer switching roles, depending on performance. Voth and Hall could be in competition for the 5th SP role too. 

Give me Wells for 1 inning and occasionally 2 like he did in 2021.    I like the idea of him in the 7th and 8th to create that link to Bautista.   When it comes down to it, very few of the relief pitchers ever went 3 innings last year.    I like the idea of pairing Voth as a piggyback reliever with GrayRod, someone who can go 3-4 innings in relief of GrayRod or even start and then let GrayRod come in to do the 3-4 innings.

Of course, this is where we would need to acquire two starting pitchers to create that type of depth.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Give me Wells for 1 inning and occasionally 2 like he did in 2021.    I like the idea of him in the 7th and 8th to create that link to Bautista.   When it comes down to it, very few of the relief pitchers ever went 3 innings last year.    I like the idea of pairing Voth as a piggyback reliever with GrayRod, someone who can go 3-4 innings in relief of GrayRod or even start and then let GrayRod come in to do the 3-4 innings.

Of course, this is where we would need to acquire two starting pitchers to create that type of depth.

You want Grayson to relieve?

Just now, wildcard said:

I want him to start and keep his innings down.   The perfect way to do that is keep him on his turn every 5-6 days.   On some of those turns, Voth can start and go 5-6 innings and Rodriguez can go the final 3-4 innings.   If GrayRod gets 32 turns in the rotation this will keep his overall innings down but let him compete the entire year.   He threw 75 innnings last year.   What is his limit this year?

Just now, RZNJ said:

I want him to start and keep his innings down.   The perfect way to do that is keep him on his turn every 5-6 days.   On some of those turns, Voth can start and go 5-6 innings and Rodriguez can go the final 3-4 innings.   If GrayRod gets 32 turns in the rotation this will keep his overall innings down but let him compete the entire year.   He threw 75 innnings last year.   What is his limit this year?

If it will make you feel better they can let him start and go 3 innings sometimes but I see nothing wrong with my idea.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It might be fun for Grayson and DL to be a tandem - could picture that being healthy for the both of them.    Matt Blood's super precise "Important Arm" calendar can be synchronized to the same day.

As the game moves towards almost everyone's pitches 75-100 being worse than any schmo's 1-15, one game can occupy most of two guy's 1-75 any given day.    Give the other 7 relievers a down day - both of them twice through the order could flirt with 27 outs some nights.

Conserve Grayson beating Jose Altuve the third time for the fall.    

I'm not sure I get the hype around Wells. He shows flashes sure but this is now two seasons where he's had two great months and did poorly the rest of the season. He seems like more of a solid reliever to me than a starter on a playoff team. The lack of strikeouts as a starter concerns me as well as the fact he's never pitched over 120ip in a season as a professional.

I think of our rotation possibilities in pairs:

Rodriguez and Hall - new kids on the block

Wells and Means - returning from injury

Kremer and Bradish - flashed dominance, approached consistency

That's a great start but of course you need more than six candidates for a rotation. Here's another way to shake it out:

1. FA or Trade 

2. Rodriguez

3. Bradish

4. Kremer

5. Hall/Wells (piggyback)

6. Means (when ready)

7. Voth, Zimmermann, etc. 

21 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If it will make you feel better they can let him start and go 3 innings sometimes but I see nothing wrong with my idea.

That's better.  He begins the season in the rotation and allowed to go 100 pitches per start.  But at some point he becomes an opener to limit his innings.