BA/Meoli’s projected 2026 lineup and rotation

Frobby

BA Is out with their Orioles top 10 list, assembled by Jon Meoli.  I’m not a subscriber so I can’t access the list or write ups, which can be accessed for subscribers here.  But I can access the projected 2026 lineup and rotation:

PROJECTED 2026 LINEUP

Catcher: Adley Rutschman (28)
First Base: Ryan Mountcastle (29)
Second Base: Jordan Westburg (27)
Third Base: Gunnar Henderson (25)
Shortstop: Jackson Holliday (22)
Left Field: Cedric Mullins (31)
Center Field: Colton Cowser (26)
Right Field: Kyle Stowers (28)
Designated Hitter: Coby Mayo (24)

No. 1 Starter: Grayson Rodriguez (26)
No. 2 Starter: John Means (33)
No. 3 Starter: D.L. Hall (27)
No. 4 Starter: Kyle Bradish (29)
No. 5 Starter: Dean Kremer (30)
Closer: Felix Bautista (31)

Obviously it will never shake out exactly this way, but a few interesting things to note:

- Mullins still on the team into free agency but moved to LF in favor of Cowser.  
- Gunnar at 3B deferring to Holliday.  
- No sign of Hays, Santander, Kjerstad

- No sign of Ortiz.

- Other than Rodriguez, no new home grown pitchers in the next four years to dream on.

- Means still on the team.  

• Upvote 1

The Future: Henderson reaching the majors this quickly and succeeding in the manner he has puts his career on a steep upward trajectory. The Orioles believe he can be an MVP-caliber player, but at worst he can be a regular all-star who will be a cornerstone in the ongoing Orioles turnaround.

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 60. Power: 70. Speed: 60. Fielding: 60. Arm: 70

For Gunnar 🤤

• Like 1

D.L. Hall -  

The Future: Hall has a No. 2 starter ceiling given his stuff, but a high-leverage relief role is more likely at this point in his career. The Orioles will continue to develop him as a starter, with a realistic mid-rotation goal. He'll be in the major league rotation mix come 2023 spring training.

Westburg -  Westburg is an above-average runner and can play shortstop but may be stretched to be average there, with above-average potential at second base as an everyday position. He can play third base, too.

"Norby showed the capabilities of an above-average hitter with potentially above-average power, with his ability to drive the ball the other way and overall consistency in elevating hard contact key factors in that. Defensively, Norby is limited to second base on the infield or maybe left field due to a fringe-average arm, though his actions on the dirt are fine."

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

"Ortiz started producing elite exit velocities. His adjustments and improvements raised his offensive capabilities to potentially an above-average hitter with average power. He drives the ball well to all fields but could improve his pull-side power. "

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

"Stowers' power is imperative to his future, because he can be a fringe-average center fielder but is better suited for a corner outfield spot, where he can potentially be solid-average with a plus arm and above-average speed.

The Future: Stowers' power potential and all the drawbacks that come with it make him a high-ceiling proposition, but his progress makes it possible he becomes a first-division regular."

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 40. Power: 65. Speed: 55. Fielding: 50. Arm: 60.

Obviously I think Tony spends more time on his list than any other credible source, but I do respect Meoli as someone who pays a lot of attention to our MiL system.   It’s interesting that he’s much higher on Cowser and lower on Mayo.  I’m not sure why Stowers is on there, since he has more than 45 days of service.   

• Upvote 1

"Mayo's carrying tool is his plus-plus raw power, and his ability to turn on inside pitches while driving balls over the heart of the plate gives him significant in-game power potential. Upper-minors pitchers exposed his issues with outer-third channeling and spin away, but the Orioles feel another offseason of adding strength can help Mayo control his body and the moving parts of his aggressive swing better to be more adjustable to those pitches and cover more of the plate. "

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

D.L. Hall -  

The Future: Hall has a No. 2 starter ceiling given his stuff, but a high-leverage relief role is more likely at this point in his career. The Orioles will continue to develop him as a starter, with a realistic mid-rotation goal. He'll be in the major league rotation mix come 2023 spring training.

Westburg -  Westburg is an above-average runner and can play shortstop but may be stretched to be average there, with above-average potential at second base as an everyday position. He can play third base, too.

I really like Westburg as the 2B option. It feels right to me. Another reason I think it's time to trade Urias - we have a (hopefully) better Urias in Westburg, who can play all over. Should have way more power, too. 

I'd sign up for Westburg at 2B, Mateo at SS, Gunnar at 3B all day. Could we make a big signing for SS? Sure, that would be fun. But if not, I think that's a pretty stellar infield. Ortiz in the wings in case of injury. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

"Stowers' power is imperative to his future, because he can be a fringe-average center fielder but is better suited for a corner outfield spot, where he can potentially be solid-average with a plus arm and above-average speed.

The Future: Stowers' power potential and all the drawbacks that come with it make him a high-ceiling proposition, but his progress makes it possible he becomes a first-division regular."

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 40. Power: 65. Speed: 55. Fielding: 50. Arm: 60.

Not sure where he’s seeing “above average speed.”   Stowers was 43rd percentile at 27.0 ft/sec.   Maybe he’ll show slightly better in a larger sample.  

• Upvote 1