“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

On 12/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, Roll Tide said:

He wants to win! He has very deep pockets! He doesn’t need to take money from the club like the current ownership group.

You know a lot of the stuff you posted in this thread about Cuban sounds a lot like Peter Angelos in the mid and late '90s. He spent big and talked a big game, actually loved talking to certain reporters and columnists until the juicy quotes he provided started to bite him in the butt. It doesn't always work out the way we hope when a cocky, successful, money bag buys the team.  Will be interesting to see how the owner of the Mets is perceived in ten years. Just thinking out loud. 

Manaea to the Giants for 2/25.  I know a lot of people are down on Manaea, but clearly 2/25 is in the Orioles comfort zone money-wise and regardless of your overall opinion, Manaea is an upgrade over Rich Hill who is the latest darling for Orioles off season feathering or whatever the hell Scott Boras called it.

WTF?

Shoot me now.

15 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Manaea to the Giants for 2/25.  I know a lot of people are down on Manaea, but clearly 2/25 is in the Orioles comfort zone money-wise and regardless of your overall opinion, Manaea is an upgrade over Rich Hill who is the latest darling for Orioles off season feathering or whatever the hell Scott Boras called it.

WTF?

Shoot me now.

Manaea is younger than Hill too. While Hill has been an effective pitcher for a long time he's going to fall of a cliff at some point. Manaea had a rough 2022 season, but if his vitals are fine, I would rather have taken a chance on him.

Manaea has spent his whole career on the West Coast, so it's possible he never would have even considered the O's. 

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

WTF?

Shoot me now.

You realize this deal was known about three days ago, right?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You realize this deal was known about three days ago, right?

Yes but we live in "interesting" times so I have to ration my outrage and I'm behind.    Look, like everybody else I'm conditioned to status quo.  Don't tell me it's time to blow up status quo then send me Rich Hill vibes.  I remember Garrett Atkins, okay?  He was "a swing for the fences".  That was patent BS, and I though we had moved past that long ago.

There's still plenty of time left in the off season to turn things around and I've been arguing for patience for a while, but all of a sudden, I don't like the smell any more.

How much is Elias taking into consideration the cost to sign some of these second/tier guys compared to what we already have in house who are considerably much cheaper and does he determine we can get better value out of what we already have vs signing some these guys to much larger contracts taking innings from guys who cost less and whose production might be very similar? 

Early but so far estimated payroll of the lowest team payrolls. Orioles move to second to last but close to Pirates. Hedges puts Pirates slightly ahead.

Orioles:

Estimated 2023 Payroll:$60MLegend:FREE AGENTClub OptionPlayer OptionMutual OptionVesting Option

Estimated Final 2022 Payroll:$63MEstimated Value|Money Owed to Team

Pirates:

Estimated 2023 Payroll:$63MLegend:FREE AGENTClub OptionPlayer OptionMutual OptionVesting Option

Estimated Final 2022 Payroll:$59MEstimated Value|Money Owed to Team

A's;

Estimated 2023 Payroll:$52MLegend:FREE AGENTClub OptionPlayer OptionMutual OptionVesting Option

Estimated Final 2022 Payroll:$50M

s

30 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Early but so far estimated payroll of the lowest team payrolls. Orioles move to second to last but close to Pirates. Hedges puts Pirates slightly ahead.

Orioles:

Estimated 2023 Payroll:$60MLegend:FREE AGENTClub OptionPlayer OptionMutual OptionVesting Option

Estimated Final 2022 Payroll:$63MEstimated Value|Money Owed to Team

Pirates:

Estimated 2023 Payroll:$63MLegend:FREE AGENTClub OptionPlayer OptionMutual OptionVesting Option

Estimated Final 2022 Payroll:$59MEstimated Value|Money Owed to Team

A's;

Estimated 2023 Payroll:$52MLegend:FREE AGENTClub OptionPlayer OptionMutual OptionVesting Option

Estimated Final 2022 Payroll:$50M

s

after we sign a catcher & whatever SP the rest of the league leaves for us around spring training time we'll be out of the bottom running lol

3 hours ago, Winter said:

after we sign a catcher & whatever SP the rest of the league leaves for us around spring training time we'll be out of the bottom running lol

Unless they sign Eovaldi or make a trade for a higher priced pitcher or position player they will finish 28th to 30th in lowest payroll.  Spend $15 mm. or more could catch the Reds or Rays. If neither team spends at all the rest of the off season.

Q&A by Roch

What happened to the big middle-of-the-order bat?
It might not come from outside the organization.

The Orioles have sought to upgrade the lineup and provide more thump. Again, the free-agent market doesn’t seem to be cooperating, and shorter-term deals are a harder sell for many impact hitters unless they’re seeking a pillow contract.

A soft landing spot before heading back out to free agency.

A hard reality that the Orioles might not execute one of those, either.

Elias isn’t done checking on available hitters, but the Orioles also are banking on the benefits of getting full seasons from Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson and perhaps Kyle Stowers, the ascension of other prospects and more consistency from the likes of Ryan Mountcastle and Austin Hays.

The free agent market doesn’t seem to be cooperating? This is just ridiculous to me. What are they expecting to talk one onto playing for cut rates? Anyone who is giving the Angelos’ the benefit of the doubt is clueless.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/a-handful-of-orioles-questions-that-remain-unanswered

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Like 1

More ….

Is a trade for a starting pitcher more likely than a free agent signing?
That type of deal seems like the only way to get a true No. 1 starter.

The Orioles would need to be willing to surrender some prospects or subtract from their projected 26-man roster. The former feels like a more likely scenario.

Otherwise, the Orioles are rumored to have interest in Michael Wacha and Rich Hill, former teammates with the Rays in 2021 and Red Sox in 2022. MLBTradeRumors.com predicted a two-year, $16 million contract for Wacha.

Hill turns 43 in March. I don’t see any six-year deals in his future.

That’s because you were wasting your time with the scrap heap and enjoying the winter meetings while other teams were taking care of business.

47 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

More ….

That’s because you were wasting your time with the scrap heap and enjoying the winter meetings while other teams were taking care of business.

So we know feathering up is talking to agents about players you think are too expensive and just flapping wings to due diligence.Seems a waste of time but maybe they had a nice spread in the conference room.

Executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias has been in contact with a large number of agents and executives throughout the offseason, and it’s hardly the kind of news that qualifies as “breaking.” This is front office due diligence that we often talk about, even if a player is likely out of its price range.

Doesn’t hurt to check the market unless the cringing causes a headache.

42 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So we know feathering up is talking to agents about players you think are too expensive and just flapping wings to due diligence.Seems a waste of time but maybe they had a nice spread in the conference room.

Executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias has been in contact with a large number of agents and executives throughout the offseason, and it’s hardly the kind of news that qualifies as “breaking.” This is front office due diligence that we often talk about, even if a player is likely out of its price range.

Doesn’t hurt to check the market unless the cringing causes a headache.

Waste of time …. I’d like to buy a Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW M850. However, I know my budget will allow me to spend about 45,000 on a Camry. 

I waste my time browsing at those dealers. When I finally get to the Toyota dealer most of the Camrys are gone. Due Diligence? Target the players you want and can reasonably be in competition for and get deals done.  

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a MLB player saying they took 50 cents on the dollar to play for a certain team in a competitive market. But, we’ve heard players say that they signed with a certain team saying that a team came to them extremely aggressive so they signed early.