“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes and no, they have to pay income tax for road games so the difference isn't quite as large as it might appear at first glance.

On a 40M salary let's say that gets cut in 1/2 due to playing other places.   I'm not a tax attorney so I don't know if it's anywhere near that cut and dry.   That said it's still 20M to be taxed if so.  Maryland has a top rate of almost 6%, so that equals 1.2M each year.  That's very significant. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

On a 40M salary let's say that gets cut in 1/2 due to playing other places.   I'm not a tax attorney so I don't know if it's anywhere near that cut and dry.   That said it's still 20M to be taxed if so.  Maryland has a top rate of almost 6%, so that equals 1.2M each year.  That's very significant. 

I'm not saying it's insignificant, I am just not sure everyone knows the process.

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

You sure about that?

https://awmcap.com/blog/jock-tax-2020

Here’s an example of how the jock tax would be calculated for a player in the MLB:

The first step is to calculate the portion of total income that will be taxable in each state. Divide the number of games played in a particular state or city by the total number of games played (including the regular season as well as pre-and post-seasons). 

Then, multiply against the total amount the athlete was compensated for the year. That amount is then taxed according to each state’s income tax rates.

For example, let’s take an athlete with the following stats and determine the amount of Pittsburgh jock taxes owed:

Total games played at PNC Park = 5
Total games played pre- through postseason = 105
Total salary for the season = $5 million

• 5 games divided by 105 = 4.76%

• 4.76% of $5 million = $238,000

• 3% of $238,000 = $7,134 in taxes owed

Edited by Can_of_corn

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting. Thanks.

I know from past experience that mere mortals who work in one state, and live in another only get taxed by the state and municipality in which they reside.

I guess states feel free to shaft athletes by whatever duplicitous rules they happen to feel like applying.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Alright so, let's hear some honest predictions of the next major Orioles acquisition. Gibson wasn't even mentioned as a target or rumor before we suddenly signed him. 

Who's next?

Going with Ross Stripling but late in the process 

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Alright so, let's hear some honest predictions of the next major Orioles acquisition. Gibson wasn't even mentioned as a target or rumor before we suddenly signed him. 

Who's next?

Matt Carpenter feels about right. He checks all of the boxes- left handed bat, can play multiple positions and DH, old and cheap, won't require a lengthy commitment or draft pick compensation, etc.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

I doubt it as well. And in the case of Rodon, I'd be glad to not sign him. No way he makes good on this next deal he's about to get.

Seriously? He’s had a 1.00 WHIP 2 straight years and 5 + WAR in each (10.5 total). I bet he’s more likely to be worth his contract more than DeGrom.

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Seriously? He’s had a 1.00 WHIP 2 straight years and 5 + WAR in each (10.5 total). I bet he’s more likely to be worth his contract more than DeGrom.

1 healthy season in his entire 8 year career due in large part to chronic throwing arm issues. Signing him to a 5 year deal is almost as risky as signing deGrom to a 5 year deal, and he will probably require more than 5 years.