Sign Nimmo, trade Mullins for P. Lopez?

vab

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Those are pretty bad options for CF. McKenna can't really hit. The others are not known as CF prospects. Any advantage we'd be getting from Lopez would come at cost of CF defense and/or offense if we don't sign Nimmo, and the odds are not good for us being the highest bidder on Nimmo and him wanting to play in Baltimore.  

Much simpler solution is to roll with Mullins in center, while using more expendable players (Hays, Urias) along with prospects to upgrade the pitching. 

Oops, just had to edit to add Hays, who of course would be first in line if Mullins is traded. I agree, I'd rather trade Hays (and Urias); wonder if that duo would bring what Mullins would bring.

57 minutes ago, owknows said:

We should sign Judge while we're at it.

And Verlander.

Also, I want a pony.

Yeah how dare anyone suggest a team with a low payroll sign two players that combined will make less than either of those two. How ridiculous of me to even suggest something like that.

57 minutes ago, owknows said:

We should sign Judge while we're at it.

And Verlander.

Also, I want a pony.

Yeah how dare anyone suggest a team with a low payroll sign two players that combined will make less than either of those two. How ridiculous of me to even suggest something like that.

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

I was just poking your ribs.... (although it sounds pretty harsh when I re-read it)

I didn't mean it to sound that way. My bad

• Upvote 2

The MLB Network had a writer covering the Marlins on the other day and she mentioned Mullins for Lopez and seemed to indicate the Marlins may have to add someone else. I wonder if that is an even trade or if we have to add someone. It seems to me that trading for a young pitcher and signing a veteran would be the best use of our resources.

BTV guesses Pablo's two years to go worth about 6% more than Mullins three years to go, though up around $35-40mm much of their ranges overlap.

It guesses the four years of Trevor Rogers are the closest precise match for Mullins straight up, and Jesus Luzardo's four years would get you about 75% of the way to fair Mullins value.

It's interesting the gap between Seth Johnson and Chayce McDermott in Tony's rankings - the Rays let Johnson go to get Jose Siri as a re-seed of the Kiermaier type player.    Mullins and Pablo make for an interesting debate how a Genuine CF and Pretty Good Pitcher contrast for run prevention.

Since everyone's a hedge fund manager, I'm sure all are trying to squeeze each other for that 2%.    I bet Sig and Oz Ocampo got on well back in the day.

Putting more eggs in 2 years of Pablo Lopez when you are subtracting Mullins from those rosters feels like a lot of faith for me in a Good not Great pitcher.    If we want to play the innings games with Lopez, he's had intermittent shoulder strains and before 2022's 180, 110 was his previous high.     That's not necessarily damning - pitchers are being intentionally trained to strain their mechanisms and if they tap out around 140-ish innings, just get another Driveline Student of the Week.

But I wouldn't expect Pablo Lopez in 2023 to be much more effective than a bullpen day in October if he completed 32 starts and needed to go in Game 2.     Also true of Taillon, Manaea, etc, but at least there Mullins helping the Club finish sixth or better in the league, no sure thing even with both those talents.