Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

Bump…LOL, here’s a thread I started last winter that I have no memory of starting.  

Anyway, the silver lining of tonight’s loss was Fuji’s stellar two innings of high leverage relief.  He looked great.  More outings like that one, please!

• Upvote 3

On 12/1/2022 at 6:03 PM, Frobby said:

I wonder if this guy could be a second pitching addition for us.   Seems like he might make a good long reliever/spot starter.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/npbs-hanshin-tigers-post-shintaro-fujinami.html

Dang, you posted this all the way back in December 2022, Frobby? That's impressive that you knew about this guy that far ahead of the curve. In a game that left me feeling very sour and bitter, I have one bright spot to take away from it and that is how good Fujinami looked pitching tonight!

He was impressive tonight.  Threw some sliders for strikes.  Some really good splitters.  But it looked like he could have gotten by with just the fastball if he had wanted to.  Probably my imagination but I was thinking they already got him to come a little more over the top on his pitches.  He looked to be on a straighter line to the plate and wasn’t pulling the fastball outside.   As impressive a two inning appearance outside of first month Cano and all year Bautista.

Big DP for Fuji this night in rented of Grayson, after walking a batter.   If he can minimize the walks, he’s going to be very tough to hit.  

It must be surreal for him to go from meaningless gsmes in empty stadiums in Oakland to playing before huge crowds in important games.  He seems to be settling in and I’ve noticed the O’s pitchers chatting with Fuji through his interpreter and trying to make him comfortable.

• Upvote 1

I think Fujinami is going to turn out to have been a steal.

We  have to make a decision soon as to whether Baker and Cionel are going to be dependable. Worried about whether Cano can be fixed and whether it's just a matter of pitching him less. I think we're committed to Baumann, Irvin, and Coulombe.

Where will this year's Joe Saunders come from?

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fan4Life said:

If we don't make any moves for a starter... would you consider trying him there again... or we're happy for him to fill his current role?

He was awful as a starter, and I mean awful. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

• Upvote 1