Jump to content

The 10th Inning


Objectivity

Recommended Posts

Is this awesome or what

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_en_ot/tv_pbs_baseball;_ylt=Aqs3jxzytzPiJL0V4JQawchxFb8C

Filmmaker Ken Burns is adding a tenth inning to his nine-part "Baseball" documentary series that aired in the '90s on public television.

I'm voting "or what"...although it will be intriguing to watch Burns strain to fit this period into his "whitey doing bad stuff" template.

It could turn out to be one long wail about declining African-American involvement in the sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OOOOOOO! 10th Inning! I have and LOVE the Baseball series. It accounts for about 80% of my baseball history "knowledge". Drungo has added the other 20%.

With all that's happened since that series first aired, he probably could have added an 11th and 12th as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm voting "or what"...although it will be intriguing to watch Burns strain to fit this period into his "whitey doing bad stuff" template.

It could turn out to be one long wail about declining African-American involvement in the sport.

Truth hurts, I suppose, but "whitey doing bad stuff" was a pretty huge factor in a lot of things for a while, especially baseball. I love Burn's "Baseball" and I'm definitely excited for this addition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truth hurts, I suppose, but "whitey doing bad stuff" was a pretty huge factor in a lot of things for a while, especially baseball. I love Burn's "Baseball" and I'm definitely excited for this addition.

I suppose it's (marginally) more palatable than the "the New York Yankee$ are baseball and baseball is the New York Yankee$" template that is usually rammed down our throats in this sort of endeavor--and if the price to pay for the recognition Buck O'Neil received as a result of Burns' work was yet another dose of Burns' "ain't the white man awful" self-flagellation--I guess it was worth it.

But I do wish he'd leave the self-loathing at home when he's producing documentaries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...