Rosenthal: Angels looking to upgrade SS, not likely to get any of the big 4 FAs

Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Joyce is their 14th ranked prospect in a system that isn’t good.  You are extremely overrating Joyce. 

And who is the better SS that is potentially available?

Hell if I know man. If Joyce isn't that good, why are we targeting him with our starting SS plus other players from, assumedly, our farm system? 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Hell if I know man. If Joyce isn't that good, why are we targeting him with our starting SS plus other players from, assumedly, our farm system? 

Because he has upside as a late inning reliever.  But he has a ways to go and needs to command and control his stuff better.  I wouldn’t do it straight up but he can be one of the 2 or 3 pieces you get back.

Griffin Canning, Jose Suarez or Chris Rodriguez are pitchers near Mateo's service time the Orioles might get some use out of, if the trade structure was exchanging 2023 contributors.

I figure Detmers or Sandoval way beyond Mateo, though as story mentioned LAA seeking relief help too Mateo and Tate, Mateo and Perez, etc.

We should be talking to the Angels then.  Silseth would be a great get if we can work a package.  He’s pretty close to being ready and has a few ML time already.  I’m fine if it’s for lower MiLB talent too because who really knows how other GMs really value Mateo?  I’m fine with taking our profits where we can get them in this case.

Would Mateo and Bradish get us Detmers?  Mateo, Bradish, RP for Detmers+?

I met all of the Tennessee kids last May, including Joyce.  I'd trade Mateo straight up for him any time.  I saw Joyce hit 103 against Georgia.  He topped out at 105 last season.  Mateo's defense is great but I don't believe he'll ever hit enough and we have several good IF candidates.

I think some of you are overvaluing Mateo. Great defense, no bat. Not a useless player but no one is going to give anything up for him that would improve the Orioles organization in any meaningful way. 

I don’t think the Angels are a good trade partner at this point. I’d be targeting controllable pitching mostly and the Angels aren’t in a position to be giving any of that up. Maybe once the infield logjam manifests then we could talk about trading our major league players for guys in the lower levels but we’re not there yet

1 hour ago, oriole said:

I don’t think the Angels are a good trade partner at this point.

I think they could be good in the sense we might have next summer's 7th, 23rd and 27th best shortstops and they don't have anyone in the Top 50.

Could they have soured enough on Jared Walsh to want Trey Mancini instead?

28 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think they could be good in the sense we might have next summer's 7th, 23rd and 27th best shortstops and they don't have anyone in the Top 50.

Could they have soured enough on Jared Walsh to want Trey Mancini instead?

Do you mean Mountcastle?

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

We should be talking to the Angels then.  Silseth would be a great get if we can work a package.  He’s pretty close to being ready and has a few ML time already.  I’m fine if it’s for lower MiLB talent too because who really knows how other GMs really value Mateo?  I’m fine with taking our profits where we can get them in this case.

Would Mateo and Bradish get us Detmers?  Mateo, Bradish, RP for Detmers+?

That an interesting way to look at things. 

Im guessing they wouldn’t move Detmers since they need pitching.  

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Do you mean Mountcastle?

No, just mentioning Trey as a guy LAA might look to if they had to backfill Jared Walsh because he became a new Oriole in a Mateo deal.     Walsh is coming off a bad year but is somewhere along the Lewin Diaz - Franchy Cordero - Joey Gallo - Brandon Belt spectrum for a left handed veteran option if Stowers is judged untrustworthy for a near everyday tryout.

I still want to see if stacking years of defensive practice Mountcastle can excel afield, and flaws and all his bat is still useful.