“Liftoff - Perhaps a Bit Misunderstood “

Roll Tide

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You say this as if Elias didn’t know what the budget was going to be.

None of you are listening to what the man says. None of you are paying attention to how things are being done or what was and is being done in the place he came from.

Let’s make things perfectly clear. This team is only going to go as far as the players who are already in the organization  can carry it. This is how it’s always going to be and it’s how it should be and usually how it always works in pro sports.  Some teams will spend more money to supplement what they have but largely you go where your existing talent can take you.

I listen when he discussed the lift off thing back near the end of the season. I think he’s been pretty transparent up to that point. I think that John and company changed the budget forcing him to make a correction of his statement. Allowing the owner to save face rather than declaring that they made a change. 

I get that I have no proof ….but there is none that says that it didn’t happen.

As I mentioned, and Frobby agreed that we should have a gross income around $275 million. That includes the $100 tv deal revenue, $110 million from the revenue sharing formula, And $75 million that is an estimate based on the 52% of their revenue that’s not shared and an increase in game attendance revenues. That’s not counting the $30 million, one time payout from the Disney TV deal. We’re at $50 million or so. Even if we see another 10-20 million they are still socking away $230 million that will never be seen again.

All of the extra revenue is why so many teams are spending. Why we are not is at very least no mystery to me.

Edited by Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I listen when he discussed the lift off thing back near the end of the season. I think he’s been pretty transparent up to that point. I think that John and company changed the budget forcing him to make a correction of his statement. Allowing the owner to save face rather than declaring that they made a change. 

As I mentioned, and Frobby agreed that we should have a gross income around $275 million. That includes the $100 tv deal revenue, $110 million from the revenue sharing formula, And $75 million that is an estimate based on the 52% of their revenue that’s not shared and an increase in game attendance revenues. That’s not counting the $30 million, one time payout from the Disney TV deal. We’re at $50 million or so. Even if we see another 10-20 million they are still socking away $230 million that will never be seen again.

All of the extra revenue is why so many teams are spending. Why we are not is at very least no mystery to me.

You listened but you misinterpreted.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He did say they would be “aggressive” in free agency.   No one wants to hear “aggressive” and come away with only Kyle Gibson.   

And no one wants to hear aggressive if things don’t get signed..but it doesn’t mean they weren’t aggressive. He can play around with the words.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You raise a great point!! 

My problem with the O's not spending is that they will then turn around and ask us fans to. But my response will probably be along the lines of "since you didn't spend, why should I?" 

In this escalated inflation of an economy I am ready to rearrange my personal budget and possibly forgo so other things to purchase season tix this upcoming season. But not for this, to put more money in the owner's nest egg.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You raise a great point!! 

My problem with the O's not spending is that they will then turn around and ask us fans to. But my response will probably be along the lines of "since you didn't spend, why should I?" 

In this escalated inflation of an economy I am ready to rearrange my personal budget and possibly forgo so other things to purchase season tix this upcoming season. But not for this, to put more money in the owner's nest egg.

If the Os put a playoff team on the field for 70M, will you not go spend your money to see them?

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And no one wants to hear aggressive if things don’t get signed..but it doesn’t mean they weren’t aggressive. He can play around with the words.

Perhaps they’ve been aggressive (Boras seems to think so), but other teams have been irrationally hyper-aggressive.  I’ll admit I’ve been shocked at what the Taillon-Walker types have been getting, and the number of years being given to pitchers with spotty health records.  Still, we can’t go into next season with Gibson as our only SP acquisition.  It’ll be interesting to see where Elias goes from here.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Os put a playoff team on the field for 70M, will you not go spend your money to see them?

Of course I will do all I can to be at ANY playoff game played at Camden. But if you are asking will I spend money on season tix for this coming season if they don't spend significant money on any free agents or even be excited to see the team "as is" with no significant additions, then the answer is no. I will make purchasing decisions as the season goes along. I just hate the idea of supporting ownership not doing all it can for the club to compete at a high level or for that matter even making more than a cursory effort. I'm not okay at all with ownership going cheap.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Exactly.  But will they put a playoff team on the field?

Well who knows. They almost did last year.

I entered this offseason with the thought they should add 2 starters and 2 hitters and maybe a reliever depending on what you were doing with Wells and if you kept Tate.

Gibson wasn’t the type of starter I was looking to add.  As I said before, I wanted them attack the top of the roster. So far, they are attacking the middle to the bottom and that doesn’t make sense to me.

But there are a lot of guys still there and they have all the resources you need to get whoever they want. 

No one has been signed or traded where I can way, I wish we had beaten that.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Of course I will do all I can to be at ANY playoff game played at Camden. But if you are asking will I spend money on season tix for this coming season if they don't spend significant money on any free agents or even be excited to see the team "as is" with no significant additions, then the answer is no. I will make purchasing decisions as the season goes along. I just hate the idea of supporting ownership not doing all it can for the club to compete at a high level or for that matter even making more than a cursory effort. I'm not okay at all with ownership going cheap.

That makes sense. I agree with the idea of season tickets.

Cot's this morning has integrated Gibson into its 2023 Opening Day projections - bottom group now at:

OAK 31.3, BAL 53.5, PIT 54.1, CLE 68.6, CIN 71.2, KC 71.4, TBR 72.8

I don't believe the CLE number on homepage reflects Josh Bell yet - stepping into their 2023 CLE sheet they have him at the top pushing the Guardians to 83-84, may just be timing issue with individuals getting out to MLB-wide summary.

So BAL-TBR, we're about one Chris Bassitt away from 2023 parity for the moment.

Taijuan 18, Taillon 17 informs the Bassitt-Senga-Eovaldi batch decently.   I think Clubs might haggle more with Stripling-Kluber-Manaea.

Seth Lugo only cleared 60 IP last year - I hadn't compared him for bulk roles to other 2023 guys.   His K-BB was 18 - very good by SP standards, though almost certain to fade with more volume (Eflin for example last year got to a seasonal ~15 having run about 12 as a SP and 30+ as a RP).

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I have a share of season tickets, but it makes plenty of sense to go game-by-game instead.  I just don’t care about “punishing” the Orioles by not doing something I enjoy doing, i.e., going to baseball games.  I certainly go more often when they’re in the race than when they’re not.