Connolly: Don’t see the Os going beyond 2-3 years

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is part of a Twitter thread. He also ended up saying he doesn’t think they will for a hitter either.

He might be right but it begs the question, what is he basing this theory on?

Is he saying we didn’t offer more than 3 years to any FA or just that he doesn’t see us offering more than 3 years to the remaining FA.  I think when a reporter puts something like this out there he owes it to his readers how much is based on inside knowledge and how much is speculation on his part.   It sounds like he knows something but he may not know anything.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

FWIW …Cole Hamels is looking to pitch this year. Any interest?

Need to see how Hamels looks in a simulated game first before making decision. I hope we're past the days where we give pitchers like this a serious look. Random spring training invite why not if he's healthy, but I have to think his career is done. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He might be right but it begs the question, what is he basing this theory on?

Is he saying we didn’t offer more than 3 years to any FA or just that he doesn’t see us offering more than 3 years to the remaining FA.  I think when a reporter puts something like this out there he owes it to his readers how much is based on inside knowledge and how much is speculation on his part.   It sounds like he knows something but he may not know anything.

I think it’s pretty obvious why he feels this way.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Need to see how Hamels looks in a simulated game first before making decision. I hope we're past the days where we give pitchers like this a serious look. Random spring training invite why not if he's healthy, but I have to think his career is done. 

He was injured last year but pretty dam good in 2021. If his Medicals say he’s healthy I’d do a year with an option. He’s better than what’s left beyond Rodon.

End of the day, this isn't a terrible strategy.  It's frustrating because we as fans want to see the team bring in good players who likely require longer commitments.  But if they can, for instance, sign Bassitt for 3 years 60 or so, and Brantley for one or two years at $12-15M per season, that would be a fine offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s pretty obvious why he feels this way.

There’s nothing wrong with feeling that way.  Just be “clear” that you are speculating and don’t really know if that’s the case.  That seems like the tweet of a fan, not a reporter.  Unless he knows something.  If he does he should tell us.

1 minute ago, terpoh said:

Elias says there are multi year offers out there currently for SP. So either "multi year" means 2 to Elias or Connolly is only giving his opinion

Not true, Connolly said "2 or 3".   So we could be making 3 year offer(s) and Connolly would still be correct.