Bryan Reynolds Trade?

DrinkinWithFermi

There has been some talk here about trading for the bat Elias wants instead of a pitcher and then signing a decent free agent pitcher like Bassitt or Eovaldi, and since Kyle Stowers seems to be disliked by management for some reason despite appearing to have solid potential, I wonder if he could be used as part of a package for Bryan Reynolds' remaining 3 years of control. Of course much more would be needed and Pittsburgh claims they won't trade him, but he recently turned down an extension offer that he allegedly found insulting and subsequently requested a trade, so it's really only a matter of time until they either have to trade him or risk getting nothing substantial for him. From what I have read, they are pretty well-stocked on IF prospects, so young OFs and pitchers would seem like things that would interest them.

Would Stowers, Cowser, and Hall be enough to keep them on the phone? Stowers would give them an MLB-ready OF coming off a decent debut with a full 6 years of control to immediately plug into their lineup, and Cowser and Hall would give them a pair of near-ready top 100 prospects to dream on. You'd probably need to include at least one more piece, maybe a lower minors arm with solid upside that they find interesting?

The guy is a legit MOO switch hitter that has OPS'd over .800 against both RHPs and LHPs for his career and he gets on base at a good clip, which would be a great addition to the Orioles offense, plus he is originally from Baltimore, which would be a neat bonus.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

How about a three way deal with Reynolds to the Marlins and one of the Marlins pitchers to us? We send prospects to Pittsburgh.

I really think that the Marlins will eventually link up with Arizona, the fit is just too snug and too logical. 

AZ really wants pitching and Miami really wants a CF. Miami has lots of pitching to deal and AZ has lots of CFs to deal.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If he was angry about not getting an extension with the Pirates, won't he feel the same way when he doesn't get one from us as well?

They allegedly lowballed him pretty hard.

17 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I really think that the Marlins will eventually link up with Arizona, the fit is just too snug and too logical. 

AZ really wants pitching and Miami really wants a CF. Miami has lots of pitching to deal and AZ has lots of CFs to deal.

Which is worse, lowball extension offer or no extension offer at all?   😄

30 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Arizona has a lot of OFer but may if them are questionable and most can’t play CF.

We might already have Brian Reynolds in Colton Cowser or Kyle Stowers or others. This is where Elias is, I think. He doesn't feel this club is close enough to make big splashes with trades and free agency. We saw it at the trade deadline last season when he sold off his closer in the middle of the wild-card race for more prospects. Remember, this club will never be able to spend with the Yankees, Red Sox or probably even the Blue Jays which makes these prospects even more important. Elias has to be very careful in dealing them and I think he wants to see more before he really makes the big play for that last piece or two for a World Series run. I think he's earned the benefit of any doubts at this point. 

• Upvote 1

Reynolds is an interesting name.  Thought about him last night. The problem I have in trading for him is his value is going to be set at CF value and we likely wouldn’t be doing that.

I tend to agree about a 3 way deal with Miami Being something worth exploring. The only thing is, why would those teams need us?  

8 minutes ago, vab said:

We might already have Brian Reynolds in Colton Cowser or Kyle Stowers or others. This is where Elias is, I think. He doesn't feel this club is close enough to make big splashes with trades and free agency. We saw it at the trade deadline last season when he sold off his closer in the middle of the wild-card race for more prospects. Remember, this club will never be able to spend with the Yankees, Red Sox or probably even the Blue Jays which makes these prospects even more important. Elias has to be very careful in dealing them and I think he wants to see more before he really makes the big play for that last piece or two for a World Series run. I think he's earned the benefit of any doubts at this point. 

He earns no benefit of the doubt if he doesn’t think this team is ready to contend.  That’s just a bad way of looking at things, if that’s how he’s looking at them.

They’d prob say yes to something like Holliday, Urias, Stowers, plus another lower level prospect. It’s up to the O’s to decide whether that kind of package is worth it. But let’s say they made that trade plus sign Correa and a decent SP? Pay roll wouldn’t be insanely high and they’d be a really good team. Dare I say, they could chart a path to winning the division. 

But naw. We’ll get half measures as to make sure the O’s make lots and lots of money. Good enough to seem relevant in a competitive environment, cheap enough to rake in the excess cash of public interest in a semi-good team. 

I highly doubt they're interested in him at all. They've already stated they don't see themselves as AL East contenders in 2023 so trading for a guy who would be leaving in 2026 doesn't seem like something they'd be interested in this offseason. It would also seem odd to me that a team who only drafts hitters in the early rounds and has a bunch of OF projected to be major league ready sometime between this post and 2025 would trade for an OF.

Plus, they already have Mullins in CF.

Reynolds 2021 - .302/.390/.522 for 6.1 fWAR and 6.0 bWAR
Reynolds 2022 - .262/.345/.461 for 2.9 fWAR and 2.9 bWAR

Mullins 2021 - .291/.360/.518 with 6.0 fWAR and 5.7 bWAR
Mullins 2022 - .258/.318/.403 with 3.4 fWAR and 3.8 bWAR

So yeah, he's definitely better offensively. I don't think he's really a big upgrade over Mullins when you take defense into account though.

• Upvote 1