Who is left?

wildcard

From the Athletic.. basically saying that the Os have done zip so far … MFYs with A grade. 

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Grade: C

Free agents: RHP Kyle Gibson, 1 year/$10 million.

The Orioles have been aggressive on the free-agent starting pitching market, but have yet to land a big fish despite their efforts. However, they did sign veteran righty Kyle Gibson, who should provide innings in the back of their rotation. The Orioles also are trying to acquire a corner outfield bat and a backup catcher. They still have a lot of work to do this offseason.

Stowers is our OF bat. Why rebuild and develop prospects so just when you’re getting good you can say it’s too risky to start him?

I wouldn’t be upset if we brought back Lyles on a 1/5 type deal. Then signed a DH bat like Voigt on a one year deal. Backup C is overrated when you have Adley. 

People seem to be afraid of regression?  Just because we out performed predictions doesn’t mean that we had crazy over performances. Some players figured it out and some players just broke in. We got more players breaking in behind that too. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Backup C is overrated when you have Adley. 

I agree with everything you said except this.   The backup catcher will catch 30-40 games at minimum (assuming Adley is healthy all season).   If we are in a tight playoff race in the final days of the season, you're going to wish you had a solid catcher those 30-40 games instead of some cheap filler.  Could make the difference in winning or losing at least a couple games...and every game counts in a playoff race.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I agree with everything you said except this.   The backup catcher will catch 30-40 games at minimum (assuming Adley is healthy all season).   If we are in a tight playoff race in the final days of the season, you're going to wish you had a solid catcher those 30-40 games instead of some cheap filler.  Could make the difference in winning or losing at least a couple games...and every game counts in a playoff race.

Honestly, after watching go like 0-11 on Sundays, that was hard for me to say.  However, I think that had more to do with the rest of the lineup being flawed than it did Chirnos. 

If this team has $5 million to spend. I’d much rather us give that to Jordan Lyles or Voigt, than a back up C. 

I just think we’re all worried about the start the team got off to last year, and how that really buried us. I don’t think we have to worry about that. I also think the things we “need” to help us secure a WC spot/win a playoff series, will be available at the deadline. Upgrade to backup C, SP, and vet bat. 

Who really thinks that we’re going to spend near $100+ million in guaranteed contracts for Bassitt, backup C, vet bat, and a MR/SU?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I get the feeling that the sentiment is that on here is like “We love Stowers, Cowser, Westburg, and Norby, but we’re too afraid to trot them out there and take their lumps.”  

We didn’t develop these prospects for shiggles. Eventually, you gotta dance with the girl that you drafted. 

Or go for the upgrade.

20 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The Yankees are trying to buy all the best FA's. I feel angry that we have to be in the division with the world's richest team. How is it fair for us?

Fair? It isn't...

Awesome when you can put together a team that beats them though.

20 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The Yankees are trying to buy all the best FA's. I feel angry that we have to be in the division with the world's richest team. How is it fair for us? In the other divisions don't have nearly as tough as we have.  We want Rondon, well so do the Yankees and money is no object. We have interest in Corea, well so do the Yankees and money is no object. The team with the most money is the best team money can buy.  What are all your opinions on this issue?

It could be worse, the O's could be in the NL West competing with 3 teams w/ $200 mill payrolls, that can push into luxury tax territory and a 4th team that has a stacked farm system (Arizona).  NL East wouldn't be an easy division either.  The NY team that has been buying every free agent they want has been the Mets, not the Yankees.

It’s so sad that the free agency discussion has come down to “IF the O’s have a few million then maybe they can sign X mediocre player?” If they have a few million?? They received in profits over 250 million and have a 50 million payroll one of the lowest in the sport (I know it’s not new info).

But leave it up to the Orioles to take something that is supposed to be fun and exciting for fans to generate more buzz heading into the season and absolutely ruin it and take all the joy out of it.

I hope those talking “if this and if that” work for the organization and are a part of the propaganda machine. Otherwise you are being duped and under serious delusion.

But carry on hoping we can scrape the bottom of the barrel and pretending that is good enough…. Rant over…lol

What do we think the Athletic means by “aggressive on the free agent starting pitching market”?

I suspect we’ll get the usual jokes but, seriously, where is that coming from?   That’s not “the Orioles have not made serious offers”.  I doubt they are taking Elias’ word on that.   

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Backup C is overrated when you have Adley. 

I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall reading something about this upcoming season having more day games during the week. I think a decent backup catcher is even more valuable since you'll likely want to rest or DH Adley on day games following a night game.