Contenders Rotations

eddie83

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Funny stuff, as usual.  John had the sense to hire a baseball man and let him have full control.   Before all of the predictable negativity the franchise was in the best position overall, in a very long time.  Still is but you wouldn’t know it from this board.

Full control?

So keeping Davis around was Elias' idea?

Question, how useful is full control if you get your budget slashed from under you?

Edited by Can_of_corn

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Full control?

Question, how useful is full control if you get your budget slashed from under you?

I'd like to know more about what exactly the agreement was when Davis retired and how much of a break the Orioles got on paying out the rest of his contract. I remember there being some kind of retirement agreement right? 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'd like to know more about what exactly the agreement was when Davis retired and how much of a break the Orioles got on paying out the rest of his contract. I remember there being some kind of retirement agreement right? 

From what I remember he got every dollar just spread out over a longer period of time.  (so he lost a bit because future money is worth less than present money)

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Full control?

Have you determined the budget was slashed from the time of the liftoff comment and now, Sherlock Holmes?

I hope you don’t have to backtrack like you did about the J2 spending.

Full control.  Elias was able to hire the analytics department, create a Dominican Academy, spend on J2, draft who he wanted, hire his own manager and coaches.  No interference, that we know of on baseball decisions.  If, in all of that you want to point to Chris Davis, that would just be par for the course where you are concerned.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Have you determined the budget was slashed from the time of the liftoff comment and now, Sherlock Holmes?

I hope you don’t have to backtrack like you did about the J2 spending.

Full control.  Elias was able to hire the analytics department, create a Dominican Academy, spend on J2, draft who he wanted, hire his own manager and coaches.  No interference, that we know of on baseball decisions.  If, in all of that you want to point to Chris Davis, that would just be par for the course where you are concerned.

Maybe?

We know they admitted to letting coaches go over money was that something that was forced on Elias?  Did he decide on his own that was an unnecessary expense?  I'm sure we won't know.

I also don't recall being that wrong on J2 spending.  They didn't spend the full allotment in the early going just like they tend to leave a bit on the table in the regular draft.  I was I'll more in the I'll believe it when i see it sort.

I do hope the increased expenditures eventually lead to some quality players reaching the majors.

I also don't appreciate you comparing me to a known drug addict.

But that is of course par for the course where you are concerned. 

Edited by Can_of_corn

7 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Imagine the reaction when they do trade for Lopez and they will get them for less than what people thought. 

I am ready to rage

I don't even want Lopez anymore honestly. He only has 2 years of control left and competing in 2023 does not seem to be much of a priority, so why pay the likely heavy cost to acquire him just to waste the first year?

Rogers is the SP of theirs I want now since he has 4 years of control and could be part of 2 or 3 legitimately competitive Orioles teams.

8 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

That's fine, but Bradish showed no signs of potential improvement or an upcoming breakout last season so I'd say the odds of that happening aren't very high.

Bradish had a 7.38 ERA before going on the IL in mid-June.  After he returned, he had a 3.28 ERA in 13 starts.  How can you possibly say he showed no signs of potential improvement or an upcoming breakout?   No guarantees what he’ll do in 2023, but your statement is flatly wrong.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

I will try to look at this as optimistically as I can for a minute.  In the first half their starters had a 4.62 ERA, 13th in the AL.   In the second half, it was 4.03, 9th in the league.  We’re adding Grayson, substituting Gibson for Lyles, and may have Means back by the ASB or so.   There’s also some hope for a jump from Hall.   I will say it’s not out of the question that our rotation will be in the top half of the league next year.  I wouldn’t count on it, in fact I’d say the odds are against it, but it wouldn’t astound me if that happened.  

I’d still prefer to find an above average starter to add to the rotation.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bradish had a 7.38 ERA before going on the IL in mid-June.  After he returned, he had a 3.28 ERA in 13 starts.  How can you possibly say he showed no signs of potential improvement or an upcoming breakout?   No guarantees what he’ll do in 2023, but your statement is flatly wrong.  

Fair point. I honestly didn't realize that he did that well in the second half. It was definitely an under the radar resurgence (at least to me). Hopefully we get more post June Bradish in 2023 and less pre June Bradish. 

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Fair point. I honestly didn't realize that he did that well in the second half. It was definitely an under the radar resurgence (at least to me). Hopefully we get more post June Bradish in 2023 and less pre June Bradish. 

I honestly don’t expect a 3.28 ERA from him over a full season, but I do expect significant improvement from his overall ERA of 4.90.