Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All I can say is WTF.

Basically Elias just signed Odor with less power and a little more consistency on defense. 

It boggles my mind that it would take $8 million to sign this guy. I guess that 3 percentile EV or 2 percentile barrel % is valuable to Elias.

I'd rather give the job to Urias, Westburg or Ortiz before EVER considering this guy. 

Honestly, this is the kind of move that makes me think Elias is trying to get himself fired so he can leave here. I haven't even gone through this thread yet to see what people are saying, but this is one of the most ridiculous moves I think I've ever seen from a Orioles GM. 

This is Garret Atkins-esque type signing. 

Wonder if signing Aguilar is the next move? 

Really doubt Elias has built the organization up to what it is just to negate the progress and throw it all away.

To me, it does reek a little bit of “let’s just make a move to make a move” kind of thing. The guy is left handed and has positional flexibility. It makes no sense to me though if the plan is play him at second base everyday with what we have coming down the pipeline. 

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

He may not be a fool but this is an incredibly foolish move.  He made the Orioles worse today. 

How?  

To be clear I am trying to figure out what he is up to but how exactly did he do that? A depth move at $8M makes them worse? 

For years around here the bench has been terrible. I watch teams like LAD move guys all over the field. OAK was good at that. We add someone with positional flexibility and now we are worse? Jordan Westburg’s long term career in the majors is not blocked by a one year deal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

I don't think these signings are about improving playoff odds.  Maybe it's more about providing a floor in the event of regression across the board (or the early struggles of the players that will be promoted next year), preventing a truly catastrophic season that could harm perceptions about the rebuild / momentum with players and fans.  Seems pretty clear that this is going to be another "wait and see" type year for the team, which isn't completely crazy given the current roster IMO.

Clearly there has been some mismanagement of fan expectations this offseason by the FO...

You know a higher floor would have been singing better players? … Just saying

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yes.

They tried to get players to accept deferred payment for arbitration awards.

Sorry I keep bringing that up but it blows my mind they tried that.

I agree with you on that. Don’t get it either. 

I’m just of the belief that the 2023 payroll is minuscule. After this move it still is. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I agree with you on that. Don’t get it either. 

I’m just of the belief that the 2023 payroll is minuscule. After this move it still is. 

I'm not mad about it.

It just seems inefficient which is odd.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Vavra is not a MLB 2B defensively. Remember the CWS game that Stowers hit the incredible walk off? Vavra looked like a little leaguer in his start there. I don’t think he had much more after that. 

As far as Frazier, he doesn’t strike out a ton, shift ban, short porch in RF, more hitter friendly than Seattle. Good defensively. To look at it from the GM perspective. 

Westburg might play some 1B. 

Not a bad guy to have on the roster.  Plus defense, good speed, very good versatility.  Had a bit of bad luck with BABIP last year.  Turned 31 yesterday, but his age doesn't really bother me on a one-year deal.  Not a star by any means, but a solid pro.  There is value to having a guy like this on your team.  Makes trading either Mateo or Urias more likely and less costly, IMO.  $8 million seems a bit high, but not in a crazy way.  Not my dream signing, but doesn't upset me.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The trap with that though is he used 600 PA to compile what B-Ref has as 0.9 WAR.    That rate isn't good enough.

He's an oldish 2B who had one bad year after a very good 2018-2021.    Elias is saying he isn't cooked...we'll see.

Fangraphs 2018-2021 gives him as 14th best MLB 2B, but granted 2B at 30 can fall off cliffs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

Good point.  Trying to become more conversant in baseball metrics.  Looks like the projections seem inclined towards Elias’s (presumably optimistic) view?  

Visiting his Statcast page I also noticed it gave Steven Kwan as his most similar hitter from last year.   It is a given this player's loud contact metrics will be church mouse quiet.

I think this is one example what Buying Low looks like.    Any Buy Low will come with some risk the player you think might still be there is just gone.