Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

45 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

For what it’s worth, I’m with you and the rest of the people trying to be optimistic about next season. Everyone else seems convinced we are going to punt next season, which is just flat out ridiculous. I’m just glad I wasn’t here when we were actually punting seasons because I don’t think I could have taken that much negativity.

I really don’t see how the majority of people here can be so negative after the season we just had. If Frazier is a slight upgrade from Odor, and Gibson is a slight upgrade from Lyles, you add in a full year of Adley and Gunnar, plus whatever other contributions we get from the upcoming prospects, it looks like we are at least a little better than last year with a little more depth. Obviously we’d all love to see a big free agent signing, but it seems like that’s not going to be the way most of this team is going to be built, and I’m fine with that. After all the money we gave away on bad contracts when we were more active in free agency, I would think going with a new strategy would be a breath of fresh air. 

It's pretty simple.

I know last year's team outperformed their talent level.

I'm expecting regression.

To me a "little bit better than last year" means a team that is likely to finish at or near .500 again.

I think that is wasting a year of team control for Adley and Gunnar (probably others).

Remember the 2012 team?  Remember the 2013 team?

Which was more talented?  Which won more games?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The only thing crazy is that there actually is a debate on this signing. 

I don't think people understand that we are getting into a role as a GM that Elias and his team has never done. 

After he traded away two players at the trading deadline (right thing to do) last year, his team out performed most expectations and kept in the wildcard hunt behind the improvements in the starting rotation led by Kremer and Bradish. What did he do to give it a shot, he signed a washed up recently released Aguilar and benched his rookie who had great numbers against lefties in the minors despite being a left-handed hitter.

So not only did Aguilar unsurprisingly fail to help, he wasn't even able to evaluate Stowers as a full-time hitter against both righties and lefties. So he failed to make the team better, and he failed to evaluate players at the major league level. 

Now we have him overpaying for a player that I can't imagine had much of a market after last season and seemingly disregarded his current metrics with bat and running speeds. just like he overlooked Aguilar's declining metrics and his lack of success against righties or lefties prior to being released by the Marlins.

To me, this is concerning. 

Aguilar had 20, 20 at bats off a lefty. So because they rolled the dice he would help in a SSS and Stowers didn’t play vs LHP that’s a big deal? 

As long as Urias was here Westburg was not playing much anyway. He may have been at AAA at the start regardless. Definitely he will be now. 

52 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

For what it’s worth, I’m with you and the rest of the people trying to be optimistic about next season. Everyone else seems convinced we are going to punt next season, which is just flat out ridiculous. I’m just glad I wasn’t here when we were actually punting seasons because I don’t think I could have taken that much negativity.

I really don’t see how the majority of people here can be so negative after the season we just had. If Frazier is a slight upgrade from Odor, and Gibson is a slight upgrade from Lyles, you add in a full year of Adley and Gunnar, plus whatever other contributions we get from the upcoming prospects, it looks like we are at least a little better than last year with a little more depth. Obviously we’d all love to see a big free agent signing, but it seems like that’s not going to be the way most of this team is going to be built, and I’m fine with that. After all the money we gave away on bad contracts when we were more active in free agency, I would think going with a new strategy would be a breath of fresh air. 

It’s not really about me being optimistic. I just don’t have an issue with the move. I have been complaining on here for over a week how worried I am about the SP. I still am. I don’t like they aren’t investing more into the team. They are at a point where they should be doing that. 

Now. I am optimistic about the future. I am clear on that. 

This move just does not bother me at all. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's pretty simple.

To me a "little bit better than last year" means a team that is likely to finish at or near .500 again.

I think that is wasting a year of team control for Adley and Gunnar (probably others).

But it’s not like they suddenly weren’t competitive and tanking the season in 2013. And yeah, we were basically adding a full year of Manny for 2013, but that was pretty much the only addition. Next year we are getting a full year of Adley and Gunnar, plus we have a ton of talent in the minors that’s close to coming up. I think there’s a lot more reason to be optimistic right now than in 2013. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s not really about me being optimistic. I just don’t have an issue with the move. I have been complaining on here for over a week how worried I am about the SP. I still am. I don’t like they aren’t investing more into the team. They are at a point where they should be doing that. 

Now. I am optimistic about the future. I am clear on that. 

This move just does not bother me at all. 

Yeah I agree with all of that. I would definitely like to see them invest in some more starting pitching and this signing doesn’t really change how I feel about next season. I just appreciate the few people that aren’t being all doom and gloom right now because the people saying we are tanking this year just because we didn’t sign any big free agents are being absolutely ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We’re that desperate…lol

I can't recall without looking it up the last time we bought a position player for $8 million.     Alex Cobb was the last death gurgle of the Buck teams, but they were already starting to trim back the payroll by 2018.

Checking B-Ref, looks like was probably the Trumbo Buy High coming off his 2.1 WAR ("Home Run Champion of the American League") 2016.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I can't recall without looking it up the last time we bought a position player for $8 million.     Alex Cobb was the last death gurgle of the Buck teams, but they were already starting to trim back the payroll by 2018.

Checking B-Ref, looks like was probably the Trumbo Buy High coming off his 2.1 WAR ("Home Run Champion of the American League") 2016.

Playing "without looking it up", didn't we get Trumbo in trade? Might have to go back to Cruz. Delmon, Alvarez, Kim, Franco... I don't think any of those guys would have come close to 8 mil.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Waste of money. Maybe 1/2 good years if he can stay on the field. 

He'll be at least as engaged as Kris Bryant in Colorado.

Seriously though, the White Sox are still competing, are closer to redlining their finances than many other Clubs based on history, have that 2B black hole, and there have been rumors they might dip into their bullpen strength to address it.

These Orioles would cut a different look with say Liam Hendriks and Craig Kimbrel on the roster.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's pretty simple.

@Can_of_corn I can see this perspective but… A couple of things…  We’re adding the #1 pitching prospect in baseball.  Didn’t we have the best, or near best record in the AL, after Adley came up?  Also, Gunnar only played in 28 games, and Stowers only 40ish.  Stowers “struggled” but put up an OPS only .005 below Conforto, people would be doing back flips if we signed him. 

The view here is that Hyde is just a puppet and has no say.  I think looking at this, this was a Hyde signing.  Something along the lines of “Give me a proven MLB defensive 2nd Baseman, and one that can turn two.”  So we signed the “best” available one.