Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

On 4/19/2023 at 8:47 AM, Orioles0615 said:

Its been 3 weeks, wake me up at the end of June

It was a foolish remark when made, based on Mateo’s performance last year.  Nobody expects Mateo to come even close to keeping up his current pace, but even so, that comment was way off base.  

20 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Probably with 145 BB and 27 Ks.  Hopefully he won’t miss three years of his prime to WWIII!

DIng ding ding, we have a winner!  I was hoping somebody would catch that.

Obviously, I don't think Mateo will stay exactly where he is at, but I do think this is a breakout year...I'd guess a 6ish WAR.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was a foolish remark when made, based on Mateo’s performance last year.  Nobody expects Mateo to come even close to keeping up his current pace, but even so, that comment was way off base.  

I would absolutely  be loved to proven wrong about Mateo, I think everyone would. He is fun to watch when he is hitting 

Definitely think Mateo is the guy we should sell high on if we get a deal with some legit pitching. His floor as a hitter is such (low) that I'm taking a deal if it's presented. Between Gunnar/Holiday/Westburg/Ortiz we have SS covered long term and short (no pun intended).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

MLBTR has an article up detailing how weak the SS FA market will be next offseason.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/05/the-upcoming-shortstop-class-looks-increasingly-bleak.html

How close is Jackson Holliday?  Could we do our own version of Luis Arreaz-Pablo Lopez swap?

Holliday joined Aberdeen (high A ball) like what a week and a half ago? There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance that he joins the O's this year. And I would give the odds no more than 5 percent that he is on the Opening Day roster in 2024.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Holliday joined Aberdeen (high A ball) like what a week and a half ago? There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance that he joins the O's this year. And I would give the odds no more than 5 percent that he is on the Opening Day roster in 2024.

I was talking about the offseason.  Hence, the Arreaz/Lopez trade comp, and the article linked.  Holliday could be ready by mid June next year, after the super 2 date.