Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

55 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So would you rather be stuck with McCann for 2 years at 5 million per or Casali at 2.5 per if you keep him for two years or $3.25 million if not

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/reds-designate-mike-moustakas-sign-curt-casali.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/casalcu01.shtml

McCann is $2.5 per

• Upvote 1

#3 SP ✅

LH batter ✅

back up catcher ✅

#1 SP ☑️

#buckleup #liftoff  #lol 

All jokes aside, after digesting this for a day now I really like the deal.  I keep telling myself to be patient and the off-season is far from over.  This move gives me a little more hope a game changing move is on the horizon.  Very creative and aggressive move taking advantage of Met’s circumstances.  I’m excited to see what move is next.  Imagine it will be the last significant move and the most exciting.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty much a toss-up for me.  

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks ….Still think I’d rather have Casali.

I think its a fair comparison, its the only real true backup thats worth more than league min. 

Casali has a WRC+ over his career of 92 and is projected by Fangraphs for 81 this year.  Looks like hes gained 20dWAR over 9 years and 4.8WAR total.  He's also a career backup never having over 84 games.

McCann has a WRC+ over his career of 83 and is projected by Fangraphs for 86 this year.  Looks like hes gained 24.3dWar overe 9 years and 4.5WAR total.  

So pretty equivalent players.  I'll take the dWAR from McCann knowing he's "only" my backup.

Anyone know more on how to breakdown the quality of defensive metrics?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw the MLB Network coverage of the transaction (Melanie Newman anchoring the studio show - last couple weeks are first time I've seen her in live episodes of some of their staple programming).

Feinsand had the detail McCann had a limited no-trade clause of 5 teams including the White Sox, a little interesting as he had his best years there.    The Mets and White Sox had had Liam Hendriks rumors, and White Sox may be about as disappointed in their Yasmani Grandal as the Mets were their McCann.   

It'd seem if CHW wanted a catcher for Hendriks, Toronto could help but maybe they are trying to be cagey not placing him with a team they hope to battle for one of the 6 spots.

Another SEC guy - this time Arkansas, so at some point we may hear if he ever saw collegian Kjerstad much like Frazier says he saw Westburg some at MSU.     He was wearing 33 in his Mets highlights (not many) reel footage, so will need a new uniform number. 

4 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I think its a fair comparison, its the only real true backup thats worth more than league min. 

Casali has a WRC+ over his career of 92 and is projected by Fangraphs for 81 this year.  Looks like hes gained 20dWAR over 9 years and 4.8WAR total.  He's also a career backup never having over 84 games.

McCann has a WRC+ over his career of 83 and is projected by Fangraphs for 86 this year.  Looks like hes gained 24.3dWar overe 9 years and 4.5WAR total.  

So pretty equivalent players.  I'll take the dWAR from McCann knowing he's "only" my backup.

Anyone know more on how to breakdown the quality of defensive metrics?

Yes but he didn’t cost a player and we wouldn’t be stuck with him for 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

My takeaways from the presser:

-the 2018 non-tender to 2019 All-Star biographical detail was new to me.    In division too, sure Tigers fans love him.

-I thought Stan the Fan's "you tell us what went wrong in 2021" was a good question.    He had the Adam Frazier "learning pitchers in a new league" thing, with the add-on of "I was hitting in front of a pitcher too" after mostly having hit 6th/7th in the AL.

The peak cliche moment was getting the "fail 70% of the time and be the best" one into the interview.

I wonder if they'll shoehorn him into the Chris Sale lineup.