Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

3 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

To further complicate things he has a $15m club buyout, which I think likely will be exercised freeing up more space for LA and rendering him a FA.  Bauer could make out pretty well and allows him to operate under a short term which is his stated preference.

"Bauer’s deal remains one of the more bizarre situations we’ve seen. A three-year, $103 million deal with a player option for the 2023 season that’s worth $35.3 million and has a $15 million buyout. As he did last year, Bauer is widely expected to opt in for the remainder of his contract while the legal battle continues. If MLB rules in his favor, that could create a very awkward financial scenario for the Dogers."

https://tinyurl.com/59r9nybt

I don't think that's a club buyout.

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

I don't think that's a club buyout.

Yep-sorry other way around:

"The Dodgers on Thursday finalized their three-year contract with Trevor Bauer, with the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner guaranteed up to $102 million over the life of the deal.

Bauer’s contract is structured in such a way that he can opt out of the deal after 2021 or after 2022. The payout, per Jabari Young at CNBC, is as follows:

$10 million signing bonus
2021: $28 million
2022: $32 million
2023: $32 million

If Bauer opts out after 2021, he gets an extra $2 million. If he opts out after 2022, he gets $15 million. That effectively makes this potentially either a one-year, $40 million deal, or a two-year, $85 million deal, though with three guaranteed seasons the total contract has a lower average annual value ($34 million) for competitive balance tax purposes.

“I’ve said it a lot this entire process, I’m looking for a partnership. I want a chance to win,” Bauer said at his introductory press conference on Thursday. “I don’t want to be a player that signs a long term deal and towards the end is resented either by the fan base by the organization, or on my end for having my performance slip below what my contract dictates. So I wanted something with with flexibility.”

A contract with various levers has some caveats. Bauer’s $28 million salary for 2021 is all due on November 1, per Ronald Blum of the Associated Press. If Bauer opts out after the 2021 season, the Dodgers can defer $20 million.

From Blum:

If he opts out after this year, he would receive a $2 million buyout, but the Dodgers would be able to defer $20 million of his 2021 salary without interest and pay that money in $2 million installments each Dec. 1 from 2031-40.

The Dodgers don’t generally give out no-trade clauses, but Bauer has a limited one. Again, per Blum at the AP:

Bauer has a limited no-trade provision that requires his consent to be dealt to an American League team from opening day through the All-Star Game. He has a contingent limited no-trade provision for the rest of each season requiring his approval to be dealt to an AL team if he is an All-Star, has thrown more than 80 innings before the All-Star Game or pitches at least one inning in each start before the All-Star Game."

And of course the Dodgers are dragging their feet on what to do with him because they were surprised by the arbiter's quick decision. It had originally been reported that a decision wouldn't come before the New Year. I guess a lot of folks were surprised by that. 

They have until Jan 6 to add Bauer to their 40 man. 

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors-front-office-undecided-on-trevor-bauer/2022/12/27/

Edited by banks703

I'm not particularly fragile.  And, where I come from (father, veteran and MC member), men who get pleasure from beating women unconscious and then having sex with them after they've passed out get the sh*t kicked out of them.  I've not weighed in on this but it's pretty obvious where I stand.

Luckily, I don't think this will be an issue with Orioles.

• Like 1