Roch forgets about Maverick Handley

wildcard

Handley very well could get an opportunity to start his 2023 in AAA, but the Orioles may prefer that Handley catch pretty much every day in AA vs splitting duties with Bemboom and Kolozsvary in AAA. With only Pavolony potentially coming up from A+ (potentially Florentino), there's more playing time in AA for Handley.

Handley is the best "prospect" among the potential AAA options and I know no ones wants me back on my soapbox about resigning the 32-year old Bemboom, but I could see him starting 2023 now in AA. Saying that, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he has a great spring training and ends up in AAA. 

53 minutes ago, CHIP said:

I'm starting to wonder also if the O's are looking to move Handley. 

I was Googling around online and on Twitter.  There was a thread by somebody talking about Guardians moving some SPs but the start of the thread is not a 'known' account..., Orioles, Cubs, Cardinals are teams more interested in RHPs Aaron Civale and Zach Plesac. Guardians not incentivized to deal either unless return is very good.

There seems to be a group that follows the Guardian's like The Verge does for the O's.  They seem to like the idea of getting prospect(s) from the O's (Handley and a pick) for a SP from the Guardians.  O's have traded with Cleveland in 2021 (Plutko) and 2019 (Wojciechowski).  Looking at the catching depth in Cleveland it is thinner than O's.

I'd be interested in their pitching but not sure about Plesac. Negative WAR last year and I believe he was part of the incident with Clevinger where they went partying during COVID and then exposed the team. 

5 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

The message board as a whole. The Orioles seem to like Anthony Bemboom more and went out and got McCann for backup C. I'm sure McCann is better than Maverick, but the Orioles never seemed interested in playing him at the ML level

If you're correct, then they should trade him ASAP.

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I dunno. To me I think he could be a pretty solid backup catcher in the majors pretty much right now. The Orioles (and maybe the rest of the league) seem to think he's organizational filler 

I don’t know why you say the O’s think he’s filler.  He’s been promoted each year.  But I wouldn’t say he’s ready for the majors.  Last year was the first in which he’s hit decently, and he hasn’t played AAA yet.   That’s why he wasn’t selected in the Rule 5 draft.  Next year could be different if he plays well and moves up.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I dunno. To me I think he could be a pretty solid backup catcher in the majors pretty much right now. The Orioles (and maybe the rest of the league) seem to think he's organizational filler 

You dont think he needs to prove himself in Norfolk first? The O's plan on using their backup catcher alot which is why they got an established vet to play up to 80 games for them according to Elias. I wouldnt trust Handley with that workload when he has zero AAA experience. 

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

You dont think he needs to prove himself in Norfolk first? The O's plan on using their backup catcher alot which is why they got an established vet to play up to 80 games for them according to Elias. I wouldnt trust Handley with that workload when he has zero AAA experience. 

No way McCann starts more than 50-55 games at C unless Adley’s hurt.  Handley could handle the workload.  But I wouldn’t say he’s major league ready.  

11 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

For a guy that was drafted in the 6th round in 2019 I'd say he's about on track. Especially for a guy that's not a high prospect. I'm guessing that with a decent start to the season in AAA he'll be in line for a trade or promotion if they do something with McCann.

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, Tony-OH said:

Handley very well could get an opportunity to start his 2023 in AAA, but the Orioles may prefer that Handley catch pretty much every day in AA vs splitting duties with Bemboom and Kolozsvary in AAA. With only Pavolony potentially coming up from A+ (potentially Florentino), there's more playing time in AA for Handley.

Handley is the best "prospect" among the potential AAA options and I know no ones wants me back on my soapbox about resigning the 32-year old Bemboom, but I could see him starting 2023 now in AA. Saying that, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he has a great spring training and ends up in AAA. 

We are only 5 games in but after Handley got his 15 seconds of fame from the Pirates/Os bottom of the 9th.  As much fun as that was for those that got to see it... I had to start paying attention to what is left after MLB spots... 

The best part of Handley's 4.5 innings I thought (besides 100% of his calls being right) were his stolen base and 'caught stealing' that was waived off because of a 3rd strike 3rd out call.  But as no other Oriole catcher has thrown out a base runner... backs up his defense as well as it sounds/looks like he isn't letting anything get past him.  I tried to time the POP and was about 1.86 and 1.87 which isn't too shabby.  The quickness of transfer is what I see that no one else with the O's has.

Offensively, I just don't know in the limited time they have in camp for Handley to get enough opportunity to out play Bemboom or Kolovsvary.  I'm rooting for him more now after Daschbach's retirement.

Not ignoring Adley or McCann but we know they are at MLB (assuming no injuries)

Bemboom:  3 games, 5 ABs, 1 H, 1K, 0 BB. 0 SB.   Def:  1 start, 5 innings, 1 SB; 1 relief, 4 innings; 1 relief, 4 innings

Kolozsvary:  3 games, 4 ABs, 1 H, 1K, 0 BB, 0 SB   Def:  1 relief, 4 innings; 1 start, 4 innings: ; 1 relief, 3 innings, 2 SB

Handley:  3 games, 3 ABs, 1H, 2K, 1 BB, 1 SB   Def:  2 relief:  3 innings and 4(+1) innings.  And this 'CS' video that didn't count

I understand we are stacked with IF prospects... but who is blocking Handley?  Right now... without a catcher going down to injury, I think they bury him back in AA ball.  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpQY8lygMYr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CHIP said:

We are only 5 games in but after Handley got his 15 seconds of fame from the Pirates/Os bottom of the 9th.  As much fun as that was for those that got to see it... I had to start paying attention to what is left after MLB spots... 

The best part of Handley's 4.5 innings I thought (besides 100% of his calls being right) were his stolen base and 'caught stealing' that was waived off because of a 3rd strike 3rd out call.  But as no other Oriole catcher has thrown out a base runner... backs up his defense as well as it sounds/looks like he isn't letting anything get past him.  I tried to time the POP and was about 1.86 and 1.87 which isn't too shabby.  The quickness of transfer is what I see that no one else with the O's has.

Offensively, I just don't know in the limited time they have in camp for Handley to get enough opportunity to out play Bemboom or Kolovsvary.  I'm rooting for him more now after Daschbach's retirement.

Not ignoring Adley or McCann but we know they are at MLB (assuming no injuries)

Bemboom:  3 games, 5 ABs, 1 H, 1K, 0 BB. 0 SB.   Def:  1 start, 5 innings, 1 SB; 1 relief, 4 innings; 1 relief, 4 innings

Kolozsvary:  3 games, 4 ABs, 1 H, 1K, 0 BB, 0 SB   Def:  1 relief, 4 innings; 1 start, 4 innings: ; 1 relief, 3 innings, 2 SB

Handley:  3 games, 3 ABs, 1H, 2K, 1 BB, 1 SB   Def:  2 relief:  3 innings and 4(+1) innings.  And this 'CS' video that didn't count

I understand we are stacked with IF prospects... but who is blocking Handley?  Right now... without a catcher going down to injury, I think they bury him back in AA ball.  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpQY8lygMYr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The 1.834 POP on that video just seemed awful quick.