Jurickson Profar

emmett16

.331 OBP last year .322 career .309 MLB avg.

He’s 29 years old and logged 3.1 WAR 2022

-6 OAA v -5 OAA (Hays & Santander in LF)

Switch Hitter.  Plays 1B.  He turned down 7.5MM option.  Santander slated to make 7.5MM next year.  Youngish (will play  @ 30 next year) with some defensive versatility and has the ability to get on base.  What say you about a Profar signing allowing us to trade Santander, play LF on the road, push Mountcastle at 1B, and match up at DH.  By no means flashy but very Orioles.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure I see a spot for Profar if we keep Santander and Hays and everyone else, but if one is traded somewhere in a package for pitching, Profar would be a fine replacement. He's obviously not going to give you the power that Santander does, but he was a 3.1 rWAR player last year and gives you better OBP than most of the team and has had a couple 20 homer seasons (15 last year). 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

.331 OBP last year .322 career .309 MLB avg.

He’s 29 years old and logged 3.1 WAR 2002

-6 OAA v -5 OAA (Hays & Santander in LF)

Switch Hitter.  Plays 1B.  He turned down 7.5MM option.  Santander slated to make 7.5MM next year.  Youngish (will play  @ 30 next year) with some defensive versatility and has the ability to get on base.  What say you about a Profar signing allowing us to trade Santander, play LF on the road, push Mountcastle at 1B, and match up at DH.  By no means flashy but very Orioles.  

So he was 29 in 2022 and put up 3 WAR at the age of 9!!??!?!

Dude I am ALL IN here.  Let's do it O's.

• Haha 1

Depends on what Santander is bringing back. I don’t think he has enough value to really get anything more than a lottery ticket type prospect or maybe back end SP with a year left. So the only real benefit would be some positional flexibility but there’s already a lot of that on the roster. I think I’d prefer to just keep Santander unless they’re moving him to make room for a real difference maker, which Profar is not.

We do have one spot to fill that us currently filled by Vavra. It would be nice to have a another OF bat. I assume Gunnar is the backup 1B as of now. The lineup as of now,

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Santander S DH

5. Mountcastle R DH

6. Stowers L RF

7. Hays R LF

8. Frazier L 2B

9. Mateo R SS

Urias, McKenna, McCann, Vavra

I’ve been thinking that Tommy Pham or one of the remaining 1B/DH types are a good fit. Profar probably wants everyday ABs, and I don’t think we’d give him the money he wants. 

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

A LF acquisition frees up both Santander & Mateo for a trade to the fish. 

I’d rather have one of Wells/Voth in the rotation and not have to trade the package of Santander, Mateo, plus, for Pablo Lopez. That’s giving up a lot of WAR for parts of 3-4 years for Pablo Lopez. I just don’t get the fascination with Pablo Lopez when there are other options likely available on the trade market. For Example Eric Lauer from the Brewers. 

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We do have one spot to fill that us currently filled by Vavra. It would be nice to have a another OF bat. I assume Gunnar is the backup 1B as of now. The lineup as of now,

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Santander S DH

5. Mountcastle R DH

6. Stowers L RF

7. Hays R LF

8. Frazier L 2B

9. Mateo R SS

Urias, McKenna, McCann, Vavra

I’ve been thinking that Tommy Pham or one of the remaining 1B/DH types are a good fit. Profar probably wants everyday ABs, and I don’t think we’d give him the money he wants. 

Not that this is wrong (in fact i agree iwth it, except I don't think Pham plays first?), but it is absurd for Urias to be on the bench.  The only thing that makes sense is trading him or Mateo. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I'm not sure I see a spot for Profar if we keep Santander and Hays and everyone else, but if one is traded somewhere in a package for pitching, Profar would be a fine replacement. He's obviously not going to give you the power that Santander does, but he was a 3.1 rWAR player last year and gives you better OBP than most of the team and has had a couple 20 homer seasons (15 last year). 

He gives you a solid lead-off batter with good OBP.  He has a strong arm is plays a solid D.  Provides versatility that Hyde and Elias seem to value.  He doesn't have the power of Tony, but the 18 HR difference could be picked up internally from Mountcastle and Stowers.  I'm not advocating to sign the guy; he just seems to me like the type of guy the FO is looking for.  I imagine he could be had for 2/16MM which should be slightly lower than Tony's 2022 & 2023 salaries. 

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like another Adam Frazier. One Adam Frazier is more than enough. I may have had a slight preference for Profar but I don't see the need for either one, honestly. If we make additions it should be for above average guys and Profar is just solidly average like Frazier. 

He put up 2.2 more WAR & .030 more OBP than Frazier last year and is a year younger.  What's your threshold for 'above average'? 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d rather have one of Wells/Voth in the rotation and not have to trade the package of Santander, Mateo, plus, for Pablo Lopez. That’s giving up a lot of WAR for parts of 3-4 years for Pablo Lopez. I just don’t get the fascination with Pablo Lopez when there are other options likely available on the trade market. For Example Eric Lauer from the Brewers. 

I'd like to have Wells & Voth in the pen and next man up to rotation when someone goes down inevitably.  I'm not interested in Lopez specifically, The Marlins have a few pitcher worth targeting as do some other teams out there as well.  I think a Mateo/Santander + Prospect could be an attractive deal to someone.