Next Friday (1/13) is the deadline to exchange arbitration figures

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Happy for these players.  I wonder if the poor, risk averse Angeloses are sad that their payroll went up so much today. 

I am watching for any notable tone in Roch's "$7.5mm for Anthony Santander!" report.     Is it going to be like "this is almost the same as Aaron Judge"?

Its just an Arb3 number for a decent Super Two with a lot of HR and RBI.     Arb4 drama coming up again in ten quick months.     But we'd like to trade him for the Moon and Stars between now and then!

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I am watching for any notable tone in Roch's "$7.5mm for Anthony Santander!" report.     Is it going to be like "this is almost the same as Aaron Judge"?

Its just an Arb3 number for a decent Super Two with a lot of HR and RBI.     Arb4 drama coming up again in ten quick months.     But we'd like to trade him for the Moon and Stars between now and then!

Lol.  I bet the Angeloses, Roch, and a handful of posters on here are just devastated that the Orioles' payroll has increased. Here come the excuses about how expensive things are now and how they simply CANNOT AFFORD to add any more payroll to the major league roster. LOL 

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Lol.  I bet the Angeloses, Roch, and a handful of posters on here are just devastated that the Orioles' payroll has increased. Here come the excuses about how expensive things are now and how they simply CANNOT AFFORD to add any more payroll to the major league roster. LOL 

Elias already laid the groundwork.

It's significant.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure?

I'm not making that argument.  Elias did, months ago.

I don’t think he made an argument.  He made a statement.  

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

Last year’s payroll was $48 mm.  Assuming this year’s lands at $65 mm, is that increase “significant?”   Arguably, but I consider it about the minimum they could have done.   I was expecting something in the $80 - 100 mm range.