Not an April Fools Joke - Lewin Diaz Back, O'Hearn DFA

Yardball85

think this reinforces my view that the “cash considerations” in the O’Hearn trade involved the O’s picking up some but not all of O’Hearn’s salary.   I just don’t think they would have put themselves on the hook for $1.4 mm for a guy they knew they might DFA before the season started.   But this remains speculation on my part.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand that you’re upset with the Orioles off season. We all are. Why be mad when this is just good roster manipulating to get two 1B options which is an area of weakness?

We can’t be SP or bust. There is a grey area. 

I don't see the point in spending time and resources on this.

Mountcastle is very likely better than these options.  Run him out most every day and have whomever fill in at first on his few off days. 

Guys like these are always on the waiver wire or are a phone call away at the cost of cash considerations.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand that you’re upset with the Orioles off season. We all are. Why be mad when this is just good roster manipulating to get two 1B options which is an area of weakness?

We can’t be SP or bust. There is a grey area. 

Who is mad? 

Good lord. 

You do realize you can think moves are dumb, not necessary, not good, whatever, and not be mad right? 

It's not good roster manipulation if they took on a $1.4 million guy to be the AAA 1B. It's actually terrible roster and organizational manipulation but let's not let facts get in the way.

And IF 1B is such a weakness, maybe they should better backup options then guys who have failed miserably at the major league level already? 

Saying that, I like Diaz more than O'Hearn as hopefully the AAA first baseman.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who is mad? 

Good lord. 

You do realize you can think moves are dumb, not necessary, not good, whatever, and not be mad right? 

It's not good roster manipulation if they took on a $1.4 million guy to be the AAA 1B. It's actually terrible roster and organizational manipulation but let's not let facts get in the way.

And IF 1B is such a weakness, maybe they should better backup options then guys who have failed miserably at the major league level already? 

Saying that, I like Diaz more than O'Hearn as hopefully the AAA first baseman.

We bought an extra 40 man spot for O’Hearn for 700k. We did the same thing with Benboom, but for only 800k total. Elias is just simply manipulating the 40 man. Now we have two LH 1B options for ST and it only cost us 700k over the MLB vet min. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

We bought an extra 40 man spot for O’Hearn for 700k. We did the same thing with Benboom, but for only 800k total. Elias is just simply manipulating the 40 man. Now we have two LH 1B options for ST and it only cost us 700k over the MLB vet min. 

But they aren't good players.

Who cares if you game the system to stash a Benboom?  At the end of the day all you've got out of it is an extra Benboom.  You shake a tree in Arizona in March and three Benbooms fall out.

• Upvote 2

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Ah yes, I now see the brilliance of paying over minimum for bad players as backups. My bad. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

think this reinforces my view that the “cash considerations” in the O’Hearn trade involved the O’s picking up some but not all of O’Hearn’s salary.   I just don’t think they would have put themselves on the hook for $1.4 mm for a guy they knew they might DFA before the season started.   But this remains speculation on my part.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

At one point.  KC thought he was worth 1.4M on a ML contract.   The Orioles felt he was worth 1.4M as a depth piece at AAA or it's possible they get some salary relief if they release him before OD.   As of right now, he's a 1.4M AAA player with a chance to make the 26-man roster IF no one claims him.    Absolutely no record or reporting of KC sending money to offset any of the 1.4M salary.   The Orioles sending money to KC wouldn't reduce the 1.4M, obviously.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

And both of those options suck. We would be better off with any random waiver claim or current prospect. It’s like he’s making moves to show he knows how to do it. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they aren't good players.

Who cares if you game the system to stash a Benboom?  At the end of the day all you've got out of it is an extra Benboom.  You shake a tree in Arizona in March and three Benbooms fall out.

C'mon now, where are you going find a 32-year old catcher who slashed .228/.292/.350/.642 in AAA last year and has slashed .160/.231/.265/.496 in 201 major league PAs in March? Most of them have retired.

Now you might get 3 or 4 younger and better catchers out of that spring training tree, but not three Bembooms.   

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the point in spending time and resources on this.

Mountcastle is very likely better than these options.  Run him out most every day and have whomever fill in at first on his few off days. 

Guys like these are always on the waiver wire or are a phone call away at the cost of cash considerations.

If Mountcastle can't play for 3 days but doesn't need to go on the IL, it's convenient to have someone like Diaz or O'Hearn on the 26-man roster.  They aren't good but there may not be a 1B on the waiver wire at that specific time.    If Mountcastle has to go on the IL for 10 days or 2 weeks, again, it's convenient to have someone ready to fill in.   There are always players on the waiver wire but there aren't always what you need.    Now, we can argue over whether it's worth paying 1.4M for that type of player.   I'm surprised if they actually would pay him 1.4M to be in AAA or if they can cut him if he doesn't make the 26-man and not be on the hook for any or part of the 1.4M.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

C'mon now, where are you going find a 32-year old catcher who slashed .228/.292/.350/.642 in AAA last year and has slashed .160/.231/.265/.496 in 201 major league PAs in March? Most of them have retired.

Now you might get 3 or 4 younger and better catchers out of that spring training tree, but not three Bembooms.   

I'm assuming they'd come out of retirement for a ML check.

Just now, RZNJ said:

If Mountcastle can't play for 3 days but doesn't need to go on the IL, it's convenient to have someone like Diaz or O'Hearn on the 26-man roster.  They aren't good but there may not be a 1B on the waiver wire at that specific time.    If Mountcastle has to go on the IL for 10 days or 2 weeks, again, it's convenient to have someone ready to fill in.   There are always players on the waiver wire but there aren't always what you need.    Now, we can argue over whether it's worth paying 1.4M for that type of player.   I'm surprised if they actually would pay him 1.4M to be in AAA or if they can cut him if he doesn't make the 26-man and not be on the hook for any or part of the 1.4M.

I know you love playing contrarian, but come on. That’s a terrible reason to carry someone like OHearn on the roster. Mountcastle might need a few days break? McCann or Adley can play 1B. We could also be proactive and get Stowers some time there in ST. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

I'd just stick Santander there.

I'd rather have someone play slightly out of position over using a roster spot on O'Hearn or Diaz.

If it's an extended absence yea, you have to think on your feet and patch the hole.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd just stick Santander there.

I'd rather have someone play slightly out of position over using a roster spot on O'Hearn or Diaz.

If it's an extended absence yea, you have to think on your feet and patch the hole.

I think Santander must be lacking defensively at 1B.  Errors can cost you games.   They supposedly worked him out at 1B last year and I assume he didn't look good there.   Now, your point is that they should be able to stick someone else there in case of an emergency is a fair one.   I just don't think Santander is that guy.   Apparently, Rutschman and McCann are possibilities.   I'm doubtful they would carry a guy whose main job is to backup 1B but we'll see.

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

And both of those options suck. We would be better off with any random waiver claim or current prospect. It’s like he’s making moves to show he knows how to do it. 

Exactly.

Why are we wasting time on the 39th/40th spots on the 40 man roster instead of acquiring players that will actually make a difference in 2023?