Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I still want him gone. He goes on the crazy streaks which make his overall numbers palatable. But he stinks for large chunks of time too. The O's need more out of 1B. 

Most players stink for large chunks of time.

7 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I disagree. While many players have their ups and downs, his are extreme and there is more down than up. 

His career and season OPS+ is higher than Hays.  His career and season OPS+ is higher than Santander.

Both Hays and Santander have pronounced hot and cold streaks.

I don't understand why he is treated differently by some fans than the other two.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His career and season OPS+ is higher than Hays.  His career and season OPS+ is higher than Santander.

I don't understand why he is treated differently by some fans than the other two.

Probably because of position played. 

That said, I'm not a particularly big fan of either and hope we can upgrade on both in the long-term. In the short-term Mountcastle has grown on me and I probably prefer him to Hays. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well, I was posting in a thread about Mountcastle. I agree with you on Hays and Santander.

17 hours ago, deward said:

Most players stink for large chunks of time.

Yea but a lot of players can contribute in other ways. Some guys are stinking but still draw walks and/or they play good defense.

While Mounty does have good speed on the bases, he is really a one trick pony. He hits the ball hard, which is a great one trick but the lack of walks and defense hurt his overall value in a big way.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but a lot of players can contribute in other ways. Some guys are stinking but still draw walks and/or they play good defense.

While Mounty does have good speed on the bases, he is really a one trick pony. He hits the ball hard, which is a great one trick but the lack of walks and defense hurt his overall value in a big way.

Exactly.  And, it’s not that he’s a bad 1B, it’s just that it’s hard to add defensive value at that spot.  

Anyway, Mountcastle’s on a really good heater now and I’m just going to kick back and enjoy it so long as it lasts.  I’ve never been as high on him or as low on him as some other posters.   I’m glad he’s found his mojo for now, and I hope he has it going come playoff time, when we’re really going to need it (assuming we get there).  

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Exactly.  And, it’s not that he’s a bad 1B, it’s just that it’s hard to add defensive value at that spot.  

Anyway, Mountcastle’s on a really good heater now and I’m just going to kick back and enjoy it so long as it lasts.  I’ve never been as high on him or as low on him as some other posters.   I’m glad he’s found his mojo for now, and I hope he has it going come playoff time, when we’re really going to need it (assuming we get there).  

I've never been super high on him but I'll readily admit I was super low on him and ready to be done before he went on the IL.  

He's certainly made me eat my words in the 2nd half here and I'm super glad to see it.  He seems like a good dude.  Hopefully he can keep it up for a few more months.

Is Mountcastle going to get better? Or has he peaked/plateaued?  Right now he has about half of the career games played and at- bats as Trey Mancini.  Career batting average,  Slugging percentage,  OPS, and OPS+ are nearly identical for the two.   Is a Trey Mancini type of player enough to put in the middle of the lineup on a team at a key power-producing position contending for a World Series?  Houston benched that player.   I just wonder what direction,  if any,  Mounty's production will go in the next 3 or 4 years.  He's still young. 

Just now, Yossarian said:

Is Mountcastle going to get better? Or has he peaked/plateaued?  Right now he has about half of the career games played and at- bats as Trey Mancini.  Career batting average,  Slugging percentage,  OPS, and OPS+ are nearly identical for the two.   Is a Trey Mancini type of player enough to put in the middle of the lineup on a team at a key power-producing position contending for a World Series?  Houston benched that player.   I just wonder what direction,  if any,  Mounty's production will go in the next 3 or 4 years.  He's still young. 

I've always figued he's have one big outlier year in which he'd get some down the line MVP votes.

The Astros benched that player because he'd put up a 75 OPS+ over 51 games with the team.  If Mountcastle closes like that this year I'd expect him to not get much playing time int he playoffs.