Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

11 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Don’t worry, next time he goes 0 for 9, the haters will be back.

Isn’t that baseball?   I can’t keep up with all of the Santander haters right now.   And people wanted Hays gone before his last two games.   

Edited by RZNJ

34 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Could it be the perfect time to package Hays and Mountcastle for that guy named Haul everyone on here wants us to get?  Maybe a three-team trade?

I don't think they'd want to take on Haul's contract. I think Lotto Ticket might be available though.

7 minutes ago, deward said:

I don't think they'd want to take on Haul's contract. I think Lotto Ticket might be available though.

I don't know....I'm sure some team would ignore the last few years worth of data and buy high on the two of them because of the first two games of a four game series.

Maybe this is his “put it altogether season”.  Like Adam Jones, I figure he had a few of those in his career…just enough to show us what he can be but also remind us that is he more of an 800 OPs guy? Give or take 20 points.

But I think he has a few 850-900 OPS seasons in him.

He has been a notoriously slow starter in the past, so maybe this is one of those years.

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's hitting the ball as hard or harder than anyone in baseball right now:

Avg Exit Velocity - 97 percentile

Max Exit Velocity- 85

HardHit% - 94

xwOBA - 95

xBA - 95

xSLG - 98

Barrel % - 96

That's pretty crazy. 

Those numbers, especially the avg exit velocity and hard hit % are up from last year's percentiles, a year which a lot of people think he was running into bad luck consistently.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He's hitting the ball as hard or harder than anyone in baseball right now:

Avg Exit Velocity - 97 percentile

Max Exit Velocity- 85

HardHit% - 94

xwOBA - 95

xBA - 95

xSLG - 98

Barrel % - 96

That's pretty crazy. 

True.  But those aren't that far above last year's markers either.  The only difference is a nip/tuck here and there falling in for an XBH and some RBIs.  His K% and BB% rates are actually worse than last year.  Even the Babip says this can be sustainable.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to give Mountcastle some credit for getting a good jump on Frazier’s ground ball last night to score the winning run.  Would’ve been bang-bang at the plate if Torkelson had thrown to the 3B side of home plate instead of throwing to the catcher’s backhand side. But Mountcastle certainly did everything right on that play. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I want to give Mountcastle some credit for getting a good jump on Frazier’s ground ball last night to score the winning run.  Would’ve been bang-bang at the plate if Torkelson had thrown to the 3B side of home plate instead of throwing to the catcher’s backhand side. But Mountcastle certainly did everything right on that play. 

Flaws and all he’s an easy guy to root for. 

How many major league teams would he start for? At least 27 I’d imagine. 

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He said in the postgame interview that he took advantage of the 3B playing the shift. He was able to get further off the bag to start.

Good stuff.

12 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Orioles fans Hate for Ryan Mountcastle will always confuse me. The kid is good 

I think it’s mostly just on this forum. He’s our best power hitter and a fun guy so I imagine non-baseball nerds like him.