Spring Training TV & Radio Broadcasts

rm5678

4 hours ago, rm5678 said:

I do too. He's not afraid to criticize when it's appropriate, and he's not afraid to "tell it like it is."

I think the DJ has done well for himself. I don’t typically mind him but for some reason he annoyed me yesterday. He seemed to drone on fairly often. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have mixed feelings on Dave.  Let’s just say that his performance yesterday wasn’t good.   

I typically enjoy Dave, but he was unprepared yesterday and couldn't stop talking. I don't know if it was because they were trying to do it from the studio that threw him off, but in the innings I watched, he struggled. Combine that with the amateurishness of Newman throwing out tired age old "throw out the scorebook late in spring training games" cliches and good lord that was not a good broadcast.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I typically enjoy Dave, but he was unprepared yesterday and couldn't stop talking. I don't know if it was because they were trying to do it from the studio that threw him off, but in the innings I watched, he struggled. Combine that with the amateurishness of Newman throwing out tired age old "throw out the scorebook late in spring training games" cliches and good lord that was not a good broadcast.

Fundamentally, they weren’t paying attention to what was happening in the game, or providing any information about the players who the average fan wouldn’t know.  They were like that couple who sits behind you at the game who are talking incessantly about other stuff and barely notice that a baseball game is taking place in front of them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Rest of way 

3/20 @Phillies 1pm   MLB.TV 

3/21 Boston 1pm MASN and MLB.com radio 

3/22 @TOR 1pm. MLB.TV and MLB.com radio 

3/23 DET 6pm ( no TV or radio )

3/24 NYY 6pm  WBAL radio 

3/25 @Pittts  6pm  MLB.TV and 98 Rock 

3/26 PHI  1pm  98 Rock and mlb.com radio 

3/27 STL 1pm   MASN and mlb.com radio 

When I listed MLB.com radio or MLB.TV simply means visitor broadcast. Every game but one will have some coverage.  

8 spring games left.

Opening Day in Boston is 10 days away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fundamentally, they weren’t paying attention to what was happening in the game, or providing any information about the players who the average fan wouldn’t know.  They were like that couple who sits behind you at the game who are talking incessantly about other stuff and barely notice that a baseball game is taking place in front of them. 

That's as good an explanation of that broadcast as anything! :D

One of the things that annoyed me was when Johnson was talking about the Boston minor league lefty and was like, "I don't know if the stats say it, but this guy must be tough on lefties." Really? Does he not have a laptop or smart phone? What is that like a 30 second lookup on baseball reference or Baseball savant? 

The one thing that bothers me are color guys that don't do their homework. There is an announcer in AAA (Gwinnett I believe) that is the best at knowing everything he can about the other team as well as his team. Now, this i spring training, and who knows when Johnson got the lineup and the pitchers, but even if he went into the game with no information, how do you not have some simple facts set up after seeing the lineups? How do you not have Baseball reference open at all times? 

It boggles my mind. Now in Johnson's defense, he may have gotten word late about this assignment and he usually is decent at giving information out, but he's always talking about himself and his pitching compared to nowadays. We get it Dave, you were able to get by with two pitches and they figured you out pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Now in Johnson's defense, he may have gotten word late about this assignment and he usually is decent at giving information out, but he's always talking about himself and his pitching compared to nowadays. We get it Dave, you were able to get by with two pitches and they figured you out pretty quickly.

And Melanie kind of fed into that, with questions about what it was like for him when he was in spring training and if he always felt like he was fighting for a job. That discussion took up an entire half inning.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And Melanie kind of fed into that, with questions about what it was like for him when he was in spring training and if he always felt like he was fighting for a job. That discussion took up an entire half inning.

I have heard Dave do some radio work. Not a big fan. He is knowledgeable about the game but talks too much and it interferes with the action.

Melanie once spend a half inning talking about Nestor Cortes turtle " Bronxsie". It was not humorous, entertaining or enlightening. .On the radio she has trouble describing the play by play. 

• Upvote 1

It was a bizarre broadcast. It was like the NESN feed with half NESN graphics and half MASN graphics, but no actual MASN or NESN language/logos anywhere. At one point Melanie thanked NESN for "throwing us this one". Which is a weird look for MASN? I dunno, it was bizarre. 

Edited by interloper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, interloper said:

It was a bizarre broadcast. It was like the NESN feed with half NESN graphics and half MASN graphics, but no actual MASN or NESN language/logos anywhere. At one point Melanie thanked NESN for "throwing us this one". Which is a weird look for MASN? I dunno, it was bizarre. 

I agree it was bizarre. I did see "NESN" on the screen at times, I think it was on the scorebug. And a couple of times below the scorebug it said "Today's Broadcasters" and listed the NESN broadcasters' names.