BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

I don't know what is going to happen with him. I was just told some progress was being made. No one knows right now, if we'll get a deal done or not. I prefer we trade him actually.

I will be irate if we extend BRob, unless he really can't get diddly in a trade.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More than fair? We can have Pie and Hill for waivers fees in a few weeks. Why give them value by taking them in a deal for arguably our most valuable trade piece.

Your "arguably most valuable trade piece" is nevertheless a 31-YO 2B, a year from FA and making $8M in a depressed market that happens to have available another player with a similar skillset (Orlando Hudson) that could be had for a comparable salary and no talent lost.

I don't think that puts you in a very favorable position to *#%$@ about two of the four pieces you'd be getting back in a hypothetical trade.

That reality check notwithstanding, this is not happening. The Cubs are done tinkering with their hitting lineup: the middle is set with Lee Bradley Ramirez Soto; the top is set with Soriano; and Theriot Fukudome and Fontenot are interchangeable in the 2, 7 and 8 slots.

Hendry's focus now is on the last spot in the starting rotation. That's where his remaining assets (tradeable talent and $$$) are going to be directed.

Now come July, if you still have Roberts and would be willing to give him up for a package the size of what the Indians paid for DeRosa (and further assuming the Cubs' offense needs a boost at that point), then maybe this could heat up again. But for now it's as cold as Chicago in January.

Your "arguably most valuable trade piece" is nevertheless a 31-YO 2B, a year from FA and making $8M in a depressed market that happens to have available another player with a similar skillset (Orlando Hudson) that could be had for a comparable salary and no talent lost.

I don't think that puts you in a very favorable position to *#%$@ about two of the four pieces you'd be getting back in a hypothetical trade.

That reality check notwithstanding, this is not happening. The Cubs are done tinkering with their hitting lineup: the middle is set with Lee Bradley Ramirez Soto; the top is set with Soriano; and Theriot Fukudome and Fontenot are interchangeable in the 2, 7 and 8 slots.

Hendry's focus now is on the last spot in the starting rotation. That's where his remaining assets (tradeable talent and $$$) are going to be directed.

Now come July, if you still have Roberts and would be willing to give him up for a package the size of what the Indians paid for DeRosa (and further assuming the Cubs' offense needs a boost at that point), then maybe this could heat up again. But for now it's as cold as Chicago in January.

Dave, while I agree that Hendry isn't actively seeking Roberts, he does have to deal with the options expiring on Pie, Hill, and Cedeno. I still think the Peavy deal will happen. Having said that, I could picture Hendry looking at Roberts if the Peavy deal does not happen. Of course that's assuming AM would take a package deal that involves players like Pie, Hill, and Cedeno. (I know that's a dangerous assumption.) Roberts at 2B, Fontenot as a bat off the bench, and Miles as utility IF does make the Cubs a little bit better and it solves the roster problems. Adding Soriano to Lee, Bradley, Ramirez, and Soto to the middle of the linep with Roberts at the top with Fukudome and Theriot at the bottom sounds good. Probably won't happen, but you never know.

Dave, while I agree that Hendry isn't actively seeking Roberts, he does have to deal with the options expiring on Pie, Hill, and Cedeno. I still think the Peavy deal will happen. Having said that, I could picture Hendry looking at Roberts if the Peavy deal does not happen. Of course that's assuming AM would take a package deal that involves players like Pie, Hill, and Cedeno. (I know that's a dangerous assumption.) Roberts at 2B, Fontenot as a bat off the bench, and Miles as utility IF does make the Cubs a little bit better and it solves the roster problems. Adding Soriano to Lee, Bradley, Ramirez, and Soto to the middle of the linep with Roberts at the top with Fukudome and Theriot at the bottom sounds good. Probably won't happen, but you never know.

The return is an issue as well. If we get Pie, what do we do with Freel? What happens to the 13 man pitching staff. There are not many bench roles left. Cedeno can be a marginal replacement at second. Hill might be able to find the plate. What I see is not a deal that improves the Orioles three years from now. It would provide filler. Why do we need filler?

Pie makes some sense as he still might be an average outfielder . . . but we have no room for him and we are not really hurting from an outfield standpoint. Hill is coming into his 29yo season and had no control last year. He also has no options. That is not something that looks promising. Cedeno might be something, but he probably is not. He is a utility guy and we already have two. I just do not see the gain for 3 years down the road that we might see if we offer arbitration to Roberts and see him flee.

For some quick reference to the Cubs system, here are the views of Baseball America, Kevin Goldstein, and John Sickels

Baseball America's Top 10 Cubs Prospects

1. Josh Vitters, 3b

2. Jeff Samardzija, rhp

3. Andrew Cashner, rhp

4. Dae-Eun Rhee, rhp

5. Wellington Castillo, c

6. Kevin Hart, rhp

7. Starlin Castro, ss/2b

8. Ryan Flaherty, ss

9. Jay Jackson, rhp

10. Hak-Ju Lee, ss

John Sickels' Top 20 Cubs Prospects

1) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade B+: Hopefully the home run power should start to come in 2009. Great contact hitting skills and still very young.

2) Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Grade B: I have no idea what to expect here. Could be great, could be horrible, track record very erratic.

3) Ryan Flaherty, SS, Grade B: Looks like a solid all-around player to me.

4) Andrew Cashner, RHP, Grade B-: High ceiling due to fastball and slider, command issues may slow progress.

5) Hak-Ju Lee, SS, Grade B-: Scouting reports look great, but want to see some numbers before ranking higher.

6) Jay Jackson, RHP, Grade B-: I LOVE this guy…good athlete, former philosophy major, throws hard, throws strikes, great pro debut. I think he is underrated by other sources.

7) Tyler Colvin, OF, Grade C+: Still worried about his plate discipline.

8) Welington Castillo, C, Grade C+: Good glove, hits well in flashes, maybe a Miguel Olivo type?

9) Dae-Eun Rhee, RHP, Grade C+: Would rank higher if not for Tommy John.

10) Aaron Shafer, RHP, Grade C+: Wichita State product with sharp command. Elbow injury cost him velocity.

11) Starlin Castro, SS, Grade C+: Intriguing toolsy infielder had strong AZL debut. A sleeper.

12) Junior Lake, SS, Grade C+: Intriguing toolsy infielder had strong AZL debut. A sleeper.

13) Dan McDaniel, RHP, Grade C+: Lots of strikeouts and grounders at Boise. Command an issue. Could rank as high as 10th.

14) Micah Hoffpauir, 1B, Grade C: Too old to rank higher but he has a major league bat. Where does he play?

15) Esmailin Caridad, RHP, Grade C: Low strikeout rate a concern, but I think he can do well in relief.

16) Don Veal, LHP, Grade C: Stock has fallen massively due to command and mechanical issues. Not protected for Rule 5, which tells you a lot.

17) Josh Kroeger, OF, Grade C: He finally learned some plate discipline and has done well in Triple-A. Getting old for a prospect.

18) Tony Thomas, 2B, Grade C: Strike zone judgment collapsed in Florida State League.

19) Chris Carpenter, RHP, Grade C: Command problems and poor health record reduce stock, but he throws very hard and has upside if he can stay away from doctors.

20) Mitch Atkins, RHP, Grade C: Possibly a fifth starter type if he can sharpen command more.

Kevin Goldstein's/Baseball Prospectus Top 11 Cubs Prospects

Five-Star Prospects

1. Josh Vitters, 3B

Four-Star Prospects

2. Jeff Samardzija, RHP

3. Jose Ceda, RHP

Three-Star Prospects

4. Hak-Ju Lee, SS

5. Andrew Cashner, RHP

6. Tyler Colvin, OF

7. Dae-Eun Rhee, LHP

8. Ryan Flaherty, SS

Two-Star Prospects

9. Welington Castillo, C

10. Donald Veal, LHP

11. Micah Hoffpauir, 1B

Just Missed: Matt Cedra, INF; Jay Jackson, RHP; Logan Watkins, INF

Sounds good, now all the Cubs need is the Mother of all bakesales to come up with the $8M to pay Roberts ;)

What remains of Hendry's budget will go toward that 5th starter. Hopefully it's Peavy, using some or all of the trade chips you mention. If not, and a different #5 is signed as a FA, then I suspect the Hills and the Pies will be dealt away during the spring to whichever team has the most need, with miscellaneous non-roster prospects coming back.

Now in July, when ~$5M of that 8 has already been paid to Roberts, then maybe.

For some quick reference to the Cubs system, here are the views of Baseball America, Kevin Goldstein, and John Sickels

Baseball America's Top 10 Cubs Prospects

1. Josh Vitters, 3b

2. Jeff Samardzija, rhp

3. Andrew Cashner, rhp

4. Dae-Eun Rhee, rhp

5. Wellington Castillo, c

6. Kevin Hart, rhp

7. Starlin Castro, ss/2b

8. Ryan Flaherty, ss

9. Jay Jackson, rhp

10. Hak-Ju Lee, ss

John Sickels' Top 20 Cubs Prospects

1) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade B+: Hopefully the home run power should start to come in 2009. Great contact hitting skills and still very young.

2) Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Grade B: I have no idea what to expect here. Could be great, could be horrible, track record very erratic.

3) Ryan Flaherty, SS, Grade B: Looks like a solid all-around player to me.

4) Andrew Cashner, RHP, Grade B-: High ceiling due to fastball and slider, command issues may slow progress.

5) Hak-Ju Lee, SS, Grade B-: Scouting reports look great, but want to see some numbers before ranking higher.

6) Jay Jackson, RHP, Grade B-: I LOVE this guy…good athlete, former philosophy major, throws hard, throws strikes, great pro debut. I think he is underrated by other sources.

7) Tyler Colvin, OF, Grade C+: Still worried about his plate discipline.

8) Welington Castillo, C, Grade C+: Good glove, hits well in flashes, maybe a Miguel Olivo type?

9) Dae-Eun Rhee, RHP, Grade C+: Would rank higher if not for Tommy John.

10) Aaron Shafer, RHP, Grade C+: Wichita State product with sharp command. Elbow injury cost him velocity.

11) Starlin Castro, SS, Grade C+: Intriguing toolsy infielder had strong AZL debut. A sleeper.

12) Junior Lake, SS, Grade C+: Intriguing toolsy infielder had strong AZL debut. A sleeper.

13) Dan McDaniel, RHP, Grade C+: Lots of strikeouts and grounders at Boise. Command an issue. Could rank as high as 10th.

14) Micah Hoffpauir, 1B, Grade C: Too old to rank higher but he has a major league bat. Where does he play?

15) Esmailin Caridad, RHP, Grade C: Low strikeout rate a concern, but I think he can do well in relief.

16) Don Veal, LHP, Grade C: Stock has fallen massively due to command and mechanical issues. Not protected for Rule 5, which tells you a lot.

17) Josh Kroeger, OF, Grade C: He finally learned some plate discipline and has done well in Triple-A. Getting old for a prospect.

18) Tony Thomas, 2B, Grade C: Strike zone judgment collapsed in Florida State League.

19) Chris Carpenter, RHP, Grade C: Command problems and poor health record reduce stock, but he throws very hard and has upside if he can stay away from doctors.

20) Mitch Atkins, RHP, Grade C: Possibly a fifth starter type if he can sharpen command more.

Kevin Goldstein's/Baseball Prospectus Top 11 Cubs Prospects

Five-Star Prospects

1. Josh Vitters, 3B

Four-Star Prospects

2. Jeff Samardzija, RHP

3. Jose Ceda, RHP

Three-Star Prospects

4. Hak-Ju Lee, SS

5. Andrew Cashner, RHP

6. Tyler Colvin, OF

7. Dae-Eun Rhee, LHP

8. Ryan Flaherty, SS

Two-Star Prospects

9. Welington Castillo, C

10. Donald Veal, LHP

11. Micah Hoffpauir, 1B

Just Missed: Matt Cedra, INF; Jay Jackson, RHP; Logan Watkins, INF

As has been discussed, the Cubs' trade inventory starts with guys that aren't on these prospect lists: Hill, Pie, Cedeno, Wuertz, and others past their rookie eligibility.

The return is an issue as well. If we get Pie, what do we do with Freel? What happens to the 13 man pitching staff. There are not many bench roles left. Cedeno can be a marginal replacement at second. Hill might be able to find the plate. What I see is not a deal that improves the Orioles three years from now. It would provide filler. Why do we need filler?

Pie makes some sense as he still might be an average outfielder . . . but we have no room for him and we are not really hurting from an outfield standpoint. Hill is coming into his 29yo season and had no control last year. He also has no options. That is not something that looks promising. Cedeno might be something, but he probably is not. He is a utility guy and we already have two. I just do not see the gain for 3 years down the road that we might see if we offer arbitration to Roberts and see him flee.

Pie starts in LF....Scott starts at Dh...Huff is the first baseman.

Freel still gets time throughout the lineup.

Sign Garland to a 1 year deal, so they can stop thinking they need 13 pitchers.

Pie, Wuertz, Cedeno and Hill is better than 1 or 2 picks IMO.

As has been discussed, the Cubs' trade inventory starts with guys that aren't on these prospect lists: Hill, Pie, Cedeno, Wuertz, and others past their rookie eligibility.

Yep...They aren't going to trade Vitters for BRob in all likelihood and the rest of their better prospects aren't eligible to be dealt yet.

Yep...They aren't going to trade Vitters for BRob in all likelihood and the rest of their better prospects aren't eligible to be dealt yet.

This is another reason why I don't see the Cubs as a decent trade partner anymore.

Trade partners for Roberts are limited until some other events materialize (ie. Hudson signs, Peavy gets traded, injuries, etc).

More than likely AM will have to go outside his comfort zone on any trade involving BRob. When I say comfort zone, I'm thinking he should be dealing with teams he isn't typically used to dealing with, such as SF or Colorado.

Yeah, unfortunately, the entire NL would get a shot before we would.

I hear what you are saying about Pie/Hill...they are high risk/reward types, but I'd rather trade Roberts for that potential than get two draft picks. I'd make Scott the full-time DH, and let Pie and Freel platoon in LF. I'd give the second base job to Cedeno and give him time to see if he can handle it.

Yeah, I know what you mean, when faced with trusting our FO to make decent draft picks, ANYTHING seems like a better deal. At this point, I would rather try to extend him (you could always trade him later), and if not, wait for someone else to realize they need a leadoff man or a 2B, it will happen, and then see what you can get. I would rather get 1 really good prospect from someone later, than get 2 guys that have done more to prove they shouldn't be in MLB than prove they should. (not that I am completely against Hill and Pie, I just think there should be a real prospect in there as well)

Archived