Prospects Live Top 100

Mooreisbetter27

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny how rarely we think the outlets overrate our guys.

When 5 places have him 31-40 and two others have him outside their 100, I think it's fair to question why that might be and if their reasoning is sound or MAYBE they are missing something.     Are 5 places overrating him or are 2 places underrating him.   Fair question, I think.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

When 5 places have him 31-40 and two others have him outside their 100, I think it's fair to question why that might be and if their reasoning is sound or MAYBE they are missing something.     Are 5 places overrating him or are 2 places underrating him.   Fair question, I think.

I was speaking in general.

I'm sure the O's fanbase is not alone in this.

These lists are at least partially opinion pieces.  The spread between the 40th and 120th isn't a lot.

The players are going to play the same regardless of where they fall on these lists. 

The differences are interesting of course.  For me I am just happy we have so many players getting looks.  It speaks very well for the future.  

The twitter piece has 11 Orioles in the aggregate top 102.  That is just amazing.   More importantly it means that when some of these guys miss...and of course there will be misses, it means that the talent pool is still pretty deep.

This is such a good place to be.  So much so that the idea of whether someone is 10 or 19... or 35 or not on the list is almost unimportant.  It wasn't long ago that we simply complained that none of our guys were getting a look.

All in all, this is a great problem to have.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny how rarely we think the outlets overrate our guys.

Do you disagree with my statement? You're right though, we're obviously happy to have outlets rate our guys highly. I tend to think Mayo is a bit overrated by a lot of places. In this case, though, I'm really just talking about how a bunch outlets had Cowser on the top 100 and a few outliers did not. They usually cite the strikeouts, etc, and while that's a concern, it kind of misses the larger picture of his season. 

I do admit to souring on Cowser during his long cold stretches last year before kind of coming back around on him by the end of the season. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do you disagree with my statement? You're right though, we're obviously happy to have outlets rate our guys highly. I tend to think Mayo is a bit overrated by a lot of places. In this case, though, I'm really just talking about how a bunch outlets had Cowser on the top 100 and a few outliers did not. They usually cite the strikeouts, etc, and while that's a concern, it kind of misses the larger picture of his season. 

I do admit to souring on Cowser during his long cold stretches last year before kind of coming back around on him by the end of the season. 

I don't feel qualified to judge their method of judgement. 

It's possible that group-think influenced the other groups rankings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It’s worth noting that @Tony-OH ranks Cowser 8th in our system, which seems more consistent with Longenhagen and Law than the other rankings.   

I don’t really see this as a matter of “right” and “wrong.”  There are reasons Cowser could go either way.   My own view is that Cowser was making some pretty substantial swing changes and hadn’t completely adjusted to them yet.   This year we’ll see if he’s been able to fully adjust and “have it both ways” between good power and good contact, or whether he’s going to have to choose which approach is better overall.   

Edited by Frobby

Cowser's last 17 games at Norfolk.

79 PA

67 AB

20 hits (.298 Avg)

7 doubles

4 home runs  (11 of 20 hits for xbases)

8 walks

16 strikeouts (20.2%)

.641 slugging percentage

.417 OBP

I don't think Cowser is given enough credit for how he kept on improving as the year wore on.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I wonder if there are any other prospects that for this type of criteria in these rankings?

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser's last 17 games at Norfolk.

79 PA

67 AB

20 hits (.298 Avg)

7 doubles

4 home runs  (11 of 20 hits for xbases)

8 walks

16 strikeouts (20.2%)

.641 slugging percentage

.417 OBP

I don't think Cowser is given enough credit for how he kept on improving as the year wore on.

To me, this is the best point about Cowser. He struggled when he first appeared at a new level..but he adjusted and did well. Credit should be given for that.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To me, this is the best point about Cowser. He struggled when he first appeared at a new level..but he adjusted and did well. Credit should be given for that.

Maybe it was and that is just where Tony, KLaw and Longenhagen put him?

To me this is just more of the same our guys are getting disrespected stuff.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why is it "our guys our getting disprected stuff" when clearly it's not only Oriole fans who disagree with them?    Clearly, there are many scouts/evaluators who disagree with Law, Longenhagen, and Tony.   That doesn't make one side right and one side wrong but it's fair to ask if maybe the side who doesn't rate him highly is not giving much weight to the fact that he progressed as the year went on.   He cut his K's down in AA compared to A+.    He started to make better contact towards the end of his brief AAA stay.   He OPS'd over .700 against LHP's in both AA And AAA.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t think they are disrespected. I actually side closer to those guys than the guys who have Cowser in the top 40.

That said, I think the way he adjusted to those levels does matter and is the biggest thing that gives me hope.

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why is it "our guys our getting disprected stuff" when clearly it's not only Oriole fans who disagree with them?    Clearly, there are many scouts/evaluators who disagree with Law, Longenhagen, and Tony.   That doesn't make one side right and one side wrong but it's fair to ask if maybe the side who doesn't rate him highly is not giving much weight to the fact that he progressed as the year went on.   He cut his K's down in AA compared to A+.    He started to make better contact towards the end of his brief AAA stay.   He OPS'd over .700 against LHP's in both AA And AAA.

Because I don't see anyone questioning ESPN who has Povich at 54 when no one else has him ranked in the top 100.  😉