Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Great news.  Bencosme and Holliday probably splitting time at SS/2B.    That didn't take long.   No 200 AB minimum for Holliday!

When he said in an interview that he was surprised how easy it was to take walks in professional ball, it was clear he needed to be moved up (that and his outstanding numbers in general of course)!

• Upvote 2

Just told my Dad that since Aberdeen is at home on 6/18/23 that him and I will have to go there for Father’s Day to see Holliday.

Then again, if he’s even there. Though Bowie is also home that day and it’s (much) closer to where my old man lives! 😄

Appreciate the Orioles making sure it’s a good Father’s Day (with the O’s in SF).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Great news.  Bencosme and Holliday probably splitting time at SS/2B.    That didn't take long.   No 200 AB minimum for Holliday!

Bencosme does not need to be playing SS anyways so Jackson should see 80% of the time at SS at least. 

Now we'll see how he handles the notorious Sally League where Orioles prospects bats traditionally go on slumber.  

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bencosme does not need to be playing SS anyways so Jackson should see 80% of the time at SS at least. 

Now we'll see how he handles the notorious Sally League where Orioles prospects bats traditionally go on slumber.  

Is there any thought in the org to figure out how to make Aberdeen play more like a normal park?  That place is where bats go to die.

Interesting they moved so fast on Jackson....probably the right move.   This kid is going to be special.  If he keeps hitting he will be in Bowie before long.   What did Cal Ripken Sr used to say "oh to be young and an Oriole"  

Great days ahead.  

Edited by Gurgi
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Is there any thought in the org to figure out how to make Aberdeen play more like a normal park?  That place is where bats go to die.

No idea. I don't think the organization has much to say about the affiliates once an agreement is in place. The Orioles choose vey unwisely keeping Aberdeen instead of Frederick IMHO. I miss Frederick being an affiliate. I wish they would upgrade their stadium and get the Bowie franchise since that ownership is embarrassing and Prince George's stadium is as well now.

But saying that, as long as Holliday keeps hitting gap to gap and working pitchers, he should be fine.

• Upvote 1

I thought they’d wait one more week, but I’m happy with the move.  

So now I’ll use the Gunnar yardstick for Aberdeen.  Gunnar played 65 games there (289 PA) and posted a .231/.343/.432 line before his late-season promotion to Bowie.  

Another yardstick would be Coby Mayo, who played 68 games and had 288 PA at Aberdeen last year, and posted .251/.326/.494 before his midseason promotion.  

Relative to those two, Holliday is about 5-6 months younger than Gunnar was when he was at Aberdeen, and a year younger than Mayo was.   But I think he’ll be promoted to Bowie about as quickly, if he can match or exceed their Aberdeen performance.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought they’d wait one more week, but I’m happy with the move.  

So now I’ll use the Gunnar yardstick for Aberdeen.  Gunnar played 65 games there (289 PA) and posted a .231/.343/.432 line before his late-season promotion to Bowie.  

Another yardstick would be Coby Mayo, who played 68 games and had 288 PA at Aberdeen last year, and posted .251/.326/.494 before his midseason promotion.  

Relative to those two, Holliday is about 5-6 months younger than Gunnar was when he was at Aberdeen, and a year younger than Mayo was.   But I think he’ll be promoted to Bowie about as quickly, if he can match or exceed their Aberdeen performance.  

Mid July to early august for his AA promotion sounds right.

But if he has an 850+ OPS and is playing really well by mid June or so, I can see him coming up sooner.

Gunnar and Mayo look like keepers, but I hope Holliday plays circles around their performances and keeps up with the high school bat 1-1 cohort:

Ye olde 1-1 group since '87 Griffey:

'90 Chipper, '93 A-Rod, '99 Hamilton, '00 A. Gonzalez, '01 Mauer, '03 Delmon, '04 Matt Bush*, '05 J. Upton, '08 Beckham, '10 Bryce, '12 Correa, '16 Moniak, '17 Royce

9 out of 14 have gotten MVP-adjacent or better somewhere along the road.

In this summer of Diesel in the concert series, we know our Shaq...how fast can Kobe join him?

*I guess also 1 in 14 chance that in 2041 Jackson Holliday is a middle reliever.

• Upvote 1