Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

He was. Definitely rose up draft boards a ton during his Senior year and big draft time he and Druw Jones were seen pretty evenly. 

Pretty deep at the top but there wasn’t a consensus number 1. Jones was viewed by many to be number 1 but there were many on here that pulled for Holliday. I had Green or Johnson, some had Lee or Jung. 

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

?  My memory must be failing, because I recall Holliday being very much in the conversation for the #1 pick.  Favorite was Jones, as I recall, but I'm pretty sure Holliday was right there in consideration.

In OH polls just before draft day, 17% wanted Holliday, 40% thought we’d take him.  So, he was very much in the conversation.  

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45137-poll-who-do-you-want-the-orioles-to-take-with-pick-11/#comment-2785771

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45136-poll-who-do-you-think-the-orioles-will-take-with-pick-11/#comment-2785765

5 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

So right now who's a modern comp for Holliday, assuming what we've seen so far is legit? Is he Tony Gwynn at the plate w/elite defense at SS? 

He looks solid at SS.  I don’t think he looks elite at all.  Tony Gwynn?  Lol

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He looks solid at SS.  I don’t think he looks elite at all.  Tony Gwynn?  Lol

First off yea, LOL.

Secondly I'm not sure Gwynn even counts as a modern comp.

Twenty seasons, .338 BA, 790 walks, 434 K's, 136 Homeruns.

Nobody is going to put up numbers like that in today's game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

So right now who's a modern comp for Holliday, assuming what we've seen so far is legit? Is he Tony Gwynn at the plate w/elite defense at SS? 

Don’t sleep in Gwynns defense when he got to the league.  Reminder he was an NBA draft pick same year he was drafted by Padres.  I’d need to see Jackson’s handles before throwing Gwynn comps lol.    
The kid is good but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  

18 hours ago, Number5 said:

?  My memory must be failing, because I recall Holliday being very much in the conversation for the #1 pick.  Favorite was Jones, as I recall, but I'm pretty sure Holliday was right there in consideration.

There is a difference between predicting who the Orioles will pick and the consensus re the best player.  Druw Jones  was the easy pick.  A guy that had shot up boards was the riskier one.  That was basically my point.  But agreed Holliday was going in the top 5

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

There is a difference between predicting who the Orioles will pick and the consensus re the best player.  Druw Jones  was the easy pick.  A guy that had shot up boards was the riskier one.  That was basically my point.  But agreed Holliday was going in the top 5

I don't think Druw was the consensus best player.  Didn't some experts doubt the hit tool?  I don't care how good the other four tools are if you can't hit...

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think virtually all of the experts had Druw Jones as the #1 player.   Some thought he was clearly #1.  Others said you could make a case for Holliday or Termarr Johnson and maybe Brooks Lee.  

This is what I remember. If there weren't concerns re: Green's hit tool, he would have had backers from the experts for #1 overall.