2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I don’t get why we need Hicks here anymore. We got his hot streak this season. He’s been injured or terrible since. Cut your losses. Keep Cowser and let he and McKenna get whatever playing time Hicks was gonna get. 

Exactly. I don't understand why Elias and Hyde overvalue mediocre veterans so much. Hicks, Odor, Frazier, Voth, and now even Jorge Lopez. They give them so much playing time and such a long leash despite a lack of production to justify doing so. 

I've posted this multiple times now, but Hicks has a long and clearly established track record of being a replacement-level player at best. He's also injury prone. Elias was fortunate to get a hot streak out of Hicks when we needed it with Mullins out, but now Elias and Hyde are treating Hicks as some sort of proven commodity. The only thing Hicks has proven over a long career is that he's not very good anymore. Hicks was so bad earlier this season (and last season) that the Yankees released him to play for the Orioles on the Yankees' dime. And before Hicks went down twice to the same injury, he started showing a lot of the shortcomings - poor fielding and scant production at the plate - that led to the Yankees releasing him.

The smart move would have been to simply release Hicks and give Cowser some more playing time, especially with Hays banged up and Mountcastle possibly missing more time. Cowser has a long future ahead of him with this team, and he has the talent to help the team not only in September, but also in the playoffs. 

Keeping Hicks and demoting Cowser is bad roster management and poor player development. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Is it taking extra long to load now? They’ve always taken 5 seconds at most to load. Now I wait 30 seconds and still nothing. 

Using your phone or PC? My PC loads in about 10 seconds or so. I think I read people using phones can take forever.

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Exactly. I don't understand why Elias and Hyde overvalue mediocre veterans so much. Hicks, Odor, Frazier, Voth, and now even Jorge Lopez. They give them so much playing time and such a long leash despite a lack of production to justify doing so. 

I've posted this multiple times now, but Hicks has a long and clearly established track record of being a replacement-level player at best. He's also injury prone. Elias was fortunate to get a hot streak out of Hicks when we needed it with Mullins out, but now Elias and Hyde are treating Hicks as some sort of proven commodity. The only thing Hicks has proven over a long career is that he's not very good anymore. Hicks was so bad earlier this season (and last season) that the Yankees released him to play for the Orioles on the Yankees' dime. And before Hicks went down twice to the same injury, he started showing a lot of the shortcomings - poor fielding and scant production at the plate - that led to the Yankees releasing him.

The smart move would have been to simply release Hicks and give Cowser some more playing time, especially with Hays banged up and Mountcastle possibly missing more time. Cowser has a long future ahead of him with this team, and he has the talent to help the team not only in September, but also in the playoffs. 

Keeping Hicks and demoting Cowser is bad roster management and poor player development. 

They have to be really bad in an Orioles unform before they really believe they're bad.

8 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I feel like the last thing they are worried about in the last 3 1/2 weeks of the season or whatever is player development. I think they are more focused on what got them where they are and pushing through with it and seeing where the chips fall.

Batting Hicks 6th and treating him like some sort of All-Star that the team has been missing is absolutely outrageous. 

Elias is a great GM, but keeping scrub players on the roster for way too long is a weakness of his. It's crazy how many opportunities he gave to Austin Voth, and keeping Odor on the roster all season last year was the most negligent thing he's done as O's GM. 

Can't stand Cowser and Westburg not being given playing time in favor of players that aren't very productive. Hicks has an OPS+ of 95 for the season, it's pathetic to utilize him as anything other than bench depth. He belongs on waivers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Batting Hicks 6th and treating him like some sort of All-Star that the team has been missing is absolutely outrageous. 

Elias is a great GM, but keeping scrub players on the roster for way too long is a weakness of his. It's crazy how many opportunities he gave to Austin Voth, and keeping Odor on the roster all season last year was the most negligent thing he's done as O's GM. 

Can't stand Cowser and Westburg not being given playing time in favor of players that aren't very productive. Hicks has an OPS+ of 95 for the season, it's pathetic to utilize him as anything other than bench depth. He belongs on waivers.

Cry harder

• Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

If you are using OPS+ as your argument, Hicks is higher than both Cowser and Westburg. I'm not advocating for him being in the lineup, just pointing that out.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I feel like the last thing they are worried about in the last 3 1/2 weeks of the season or whatever is player development. I think they are more focused on what got them where they are and pushing through with it and seeing where the chips fall.

It's still stupid to use a player with the production and talent level Hicks offers. And I don't want to hear about the Orioles being in first place, it's the process and decision-making that matters. Put your most talented team on the field and maximize wins. They're not doing that by keeping Hicks and starting him. 

The Orioles coudl easily lose the division by a game or two to the Rays. Decisions like this eventually add up and hurt the team, even if Hicks goes 3-3 today with a home run.

This is shameful management by Elias and Hyde. The team wins despite their decisions because the team has so much talent. But that's not an excuse for poor decisions like this.

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

It's still stupid to use a player with the production and talent level Hicks offers. And I don't want to hear about the Orioles being in first place, it's the process and decision-making that matters. Put your most talented team on the field and maximize wins. They're not doing that by keeping Hicks and starting him. 

The Orioles coudl easily lose the division by a game or two to the Rays. Decisions like this eventually add up and hurt the team, even if Hicks goes 3-3 today with a home run.

This is shameful management by Elias and Hyde. The team wins despite their decisions because the team has so much talent. But that's not an excuse for poor decisions like this.

Is your argument that the process and decision-making that has gone on up until today is not the reason they are in first place, and they have continued to win despite being continuously hamstrung by Mike Elias? That would be a hard pill for me to swallow.

Just now, Malike said:

If you are using OPS+ as your argument, Hicks is higher than both Cowser and Westburg. I'm not advocating for him being in the lineup, just pointing that out.

Yeah and I'd say that Cowser and Westsburg would both be better right now had they been given time and every day at bats to acclimate themselves. Just like Gunnar and Adley struggled early in their careers and eventually their talent won out. Gunnar and Adley got the benefit of playing time, and even though Cowser and Westburg aren't on their level as prospects, they have the talent and potential to be WAY better than guys like Hicks, McKenna, and Frazier. And I think Westburg would be and will be better than Urias as well.

• Upvote 1