2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Unless Mullins needs a rest McKenna should not be replacing him against LH pitchers. Mullins had been very good against them this year.

That is interesting but not his career norm. If you are going to go by small samples, McKenna has also mashed lefties this year. I'm surprised he hasn't spelled Mullins a bit more now that I look at the game logs. 

34 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

ANOTHER LH starter against us. Is it literally half the games or does it just feel like it?

16 out of 35 games now counting tonight.

We are 11-4 vs LH starters so far.

Should be righties the next 5 after tonight.

But then Angels with their lefty-laden rotation come to town next week.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

16 out of 35 games now counting tonight.

We are 11-4 vs LH starters so far.

Should be righties the next 5 after tonight.

But then Angels with their lefty-laden rotation come to town next week.

Don't worry, guess who the Angels right hander we face will be 😛

Edited by Orioles0615

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

That is interesting but not his career norm. If you are going to go by small samples, McKenna has also mashed lefties this year. I'm surprised he hasn't spelled Mullins a bit more now that I look at the game logs. 

I hope that we don’t start playing McKenna over Mullins anymore than we do now. Mullins has been one of our best players this year.

I don't have any data to back this up, but it seems to me that Hyde depends on a very simple, by-the-book approach to platoon advantages. I wouldn't put much weight on Mullins' or McKenna's success againsr lefties this year, other than to conclude that neither is helpless against LHers, and both have a chance of hitting them. The samples are too small, IMO, to put more weight than that on them.

What I would consider is the fact that McCllanahan, over his career, has been more effective against RHed batters than against LHed batters (big difference in BA and OBA, small difference in SLG, slight advantage the other way in HRs). There may be lots of other factors at work other than simple L-R differences: the quality of his pitching isn't constant from game to game or inning to inning, nor is the quality of the opposing hitters he's faced. Maybe the LHers he faces tend to be real good hitters who are in the lineup despite the apparent platoon disadvantage. He's pitched for over 300 innings/1,300 plate appearances (only 200-plus PAs for LHers).

For me, that's enough data to draw the inference that there's probably no significant platoon advantage for batters facing McClanahan. Unles there's another reason not to start Mullins, I'd have him in the lineup.

Atrocious lineup tonight. McCann should strictly be a backup who only plays at C on days that Adley is resting. McCann shouldn't be featured as a regular against LHP. 

Urias is a better hitter than both McCann and Frazier, he shouldn't be hitting 8th behind those two.

Both Westburg and Cowser should already be called up and playing regularly. McKenna and Torrens should be DFA'd immediately to make room for both.

Lineup optimization was a major weakness for Buck Showalter and it's also poor for Hyde. And Elias is mismanaging this roster currently. With the AL East as tough as it is, the organization needs to leverage its strength - offense and position players.

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Atrocious lineup tonight. McCann should strictly be a backup who only plays at C on days that Adley is resting. McCann shouldn't be featured as a regular against LHP. 

Urias is a better hitter than both McCann and Frazier, he shouldn't be hitting 8th behind those two.

Both Westburg and Cowser should already be called up and playing regularly. McKenna and Torrens should be DFA'd immediately to make room for both.

Lineup optimization was a major weakness for Buck Showalter and it's also poor for Hyde. And Elias is mismanaging this roster currently. With the AL East as tough as it is, the organization needs to leverage its strength - offense and position players.

Don't worry, AI will be handling lineup optimization any minute now.  I wish I was joking...

16 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Isn't that basically what's happening now?

Not sure.  There's no technical reason that I can think of preventing all the data out there from being manipulated any way a team would want to.  I just don't know how much AI is being used to process and interpret it.  Maybe not at all yet, but it can't be too far off.  Statistics heavy games are perfect targets.