Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

On 2/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, Three Run Homer said:

He just made his first out of spring training--now hitting only .800 (4 for 5).

Thinking about the long-term configuration of this team--assuming that both Kjerstad and Mayo pan out, who plays RF and who winds up at 1B or DH?  Who has the higher defensive ceiling in RF?  

I would take into consideration the long term plans the organization seems to be going in the direction in. Mayo has never stepped foot on the outfield grass as a professional and Kjerstad has never played an inning at 1B as a professional, while Mayo has had some experience there. I think my gut reaction is how the organization at least currently sees it (and that's not saying that 3B isn't the priority for Mayo, until he proves otherwise). It'll be interesting over the next few years to see how Mayo fills out, he just turned 21 not that long ago and he's long and tall so he will likely gain some weight/bulk still. 

6 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I would take into consideration the long term plans the organization seems to be going in the direction in. Mayo has never stepped foot on the outfield grass as a professional and Kjerstad has never played an inning at 1B as a professional, while Mayo has had some experience there. I think my gut reaction is how the organization at least currently sees it (and that's not saying that 3B isn't the priority for Mayo, until he proves otherwise). It'll be interesting over the next few years to see how Mayo fills out, he just turned 21 not that long ago and he's long and tall so he will likely gain some weight/bulk still. 

I feel like Gunnar is going to be entrenched at 3B sooner or later, so Mayo will have to move or be traded.   Mayo may have the bat for 1B but he has a 70 arm which would be wasted at 1B, so RF could make sense.   And Kjerstad's arm and outfield defense in general are nothing special according to the scouting reports.  

On 2/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, Three Run Homer said:

He just made his first out of spring training--now hitting only .800 (4 for 5).

Thinking about the long-term configuration of this team--assuming that both Kjerstad and Mayo pan out, who plays RF and who winds up at 1B or DH?  Who has the higher defensive ceiling in RF?  

I am big-time on the move Kjerstad to 1B train. It just makes sense. Obviously depends on if he can transition well enough defensively to make it worth it but yeah.

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I feel like Gunnar is going to be entrenched at 3B sooner or later, so Mayo will have to move or be traded.   Mayo may have the bat for 1B but he has a 70 arm which would be wasted at 1B, so RF could make sense.   And Kjerstad's arm and outfield defense in general are nothing special according to the scouting reports.  

Agreed.  Mayo's arm is special.  Unless Mayo is just horrible tracking the ball, he should be fine in RF.  Tony and Fangraphs have both with the same FV speed (with Mayo a bit faster now).  Have I mentioned that arm is special?

I'm properly talking to the clouds, but I'd like to see Kjerstad (and Westburg/Norby) get some reps at 1B this year.  I honestly don't think playing some 1B would hurt Kjerstad's trade value either (if that's a consideration for the FO and staff).  In fact, I think it would help.  He's never been considered a blazer plus defense guy.  He's always been a bat first OF with average d.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, interloper said:

I am big-time on the move Kjerstad to 1B train. It just makes sense. Obviously depends on if he can transition well enough defensively to make it worth it but yeah.

Sorry.  Somebody had to do it.  😀