Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

I think Kjerstad slots in as cleanup at this point.  Looks like a 2025-2027 slaughterhouse if all goes right!

C - Adley (s)

1B - Mayo

2B - Ortiz/Westburg

SS - Jackson*

3B - Gunnar*

LF - Cowser*

CF - Bradfield*

RF - Kjerstad*

DH - Basallo*

I’ve noticed that Kjerstad is completely indifferent to whether he’s facing RHP (.318/.398/.565 going into today) or LHP (.330/.497/.583).   That’s always great to see from a LH batter.  Today’s blast was against a lefty.   

I don’t have an opinion as two who will be the best major league hitter among Cowser, Westburg and Kjerstad.  They’ve all raked at Bowie and Norfolk.  I suspect Kjerstad has the most power of the three and that Cowser will put up the best OBP.  But all three can do a lot of things well.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve noticed that Kjerstad is completely indifferent to whether he’s facing RHP (.318/.398/.565 going into today) or LHP (.330/.497/.583).   That’s always great to see from a LH batter.  Today’s blast was against a lefty.   

I don’t have an opinion as two who will be the best major league hitter among Cowser, Westburg and Kjerstad.  They’ve all raked at Bowie and Norfolk.  I suspect Kjerstad has the most power of the three and that Cowser will put up the best OBP.  But all three can do a lot of things well.  

Cowser might turn out to be the best BUT it’s a little like watching Rutschman vs Santander.   Rutschman wants to work the count and get a hitters pitch or a walk.  Santander is looking to unload on the first good pitch he sees.   I feel that way about Kjerstad and Cowser.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I think Kjerstad slots in as cleanup at this point.  Looks like a 2025-2027 slaughterhouse if all goes right!

C - Adley (s)

1B - Mayo

2B - Ortiz/Westburg

SS - Jackson*

3B - Gunnar*

LF - Cowser*

CF - Bradfield*

RF - Kjerstad*

DH - Basallo*

That’s +defense all the way around the field with an insane amount of flexibility.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

That’s +defense all the way around the field with an insane amount of flexibility.  

The two biggest question marks defensively would be Kjerstad in RF and Mayo at 1B.    I don’t know that either would be plus but overall that defense looks really good.

Just now, RZNJ said:

The two biggest question marks defensively would be Kjerstad in RF and Mayo at 1B.    I don’t know that either would be plus but overall that defense looks really good.

Kjerstad in a small RF at OPACY will be solid IMO.  I think his speed is a little underrated.  Mayo is a huge target with wingspan and  has +athleticism for a 1B.  I agree they are the questions marks, but both are playing the least demanding defensive position.  I think they can both grow into above average defenders at RF & 1B.  

The D up the middle is incredible.  

On 7/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, RZNJ said:

Some data on Heston's defense in RF yesterday.

https://www.milb.com/video/heston-kjerstad-s-amazing-throw?t=playerid-677008https://www.milb.com/video/heston-kjerstad-s-amazing-throw?t=playerid-677008

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

A replay is data?  I saw that.  Excellent throw but it hardly gives a total picture on his RF defense.   I think he’s faster than people give him credit for and the arm is at least average for RF.   I’m hoping he’s a step up from Santander but we don’t know.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A replay is data?  I saw that.  Excellent throw but it hardly gives a total picture on his RF defense.   I think he’s faster than people give him credit for and the arm is at least average for RF.   I’m hoping he’s a step up from Santander but we don’t know.

Well I said "some" so perhaps I should have said "some info", my bad. Wasn't trying to portray a complete picture of his RF defense. I think he is faster than he is credited to be. Maybe not in sprint speed but the Fangraphs Spd ranking likes him on the base paths so instinct and decision making play a part. He has 5 triples bet Bow and NOR this year in about 325 ABs and each video isn't a close play. I hope he could be a step up from AS but his reads and routes need to improve per Tony. It seems like the transition to upper deck MLB parks really hurts some players.

The defensive position question marks around Kjerstad (and Mayo) are a bit concerning. Yet, if he hits like we think he can, Kjerstad could DH maybe 70% of the time and perhaps play a bit in RF or even 1B (if he can develop there.)  If it comes to fruition that he's mainly a DH instead of a RF (or 1B), being a big contributor at the plate will alleviate any prior concerns.

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

The defensive position question marks around Kjerstad (and Mayo) are a bit concerning. Yet, if he hits like we think he can, Kjerstad could DH maybe 70% of the time and perhaps play a bit in RF or even 1B (if he can develop there.)  If it comes to fruition that he's mainly a DH instead of a RF (or 1B), being a big contributor at the plate will alleviate any prior concerns.

I don’t get the feeling Kjerstad is a liability in RF.  I think he’s good enough to be an average defensively RF.   I think he’s Santander with better speed and that’s meant as a compliment.

4 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Well I said "some" so perhaps I should have said "some info", my bad. Wasn't trying to portray a complete picture of his RF defense. I think he is faster than he is credited to be. Maybe not in sprint speed but the Fangraphs Spd ranking likes him on the base paths so instinct and decision making play a part. He has 5 triples bet Bow and NOR this year in about 325 ABs and each video isn't a close play. I hope he could be a step up from AS but his reads and routes need to improve per Tony. It seems like the transition to upper deck MLB parks really hurts some players.

And an inside the park homer to boot.

https://www.mlbdraftleague.com/video/kjerstad-s-inside-the-park-homer?t=milb-top-videos