Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

I had my doubts about Bradish going into the season. I thought he would be a good #3 type. He has been incredibly consistent putting us in a position to win just about every time he takes the mound. To finish with an ERA under 3 is tremendous. He might be the biggest breakout story for the O's this year and we have a lot of them. If he can continue this in the playoffs we really might win the WS. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Bradish has also lowered his ERA to 2.86, still 3rd albeit much closer to Cole and Gray's 2.75 and 2.80

a slip up by both , or even just pedestrian outings could give Bradish a real shot at the AL ERA title.  no risk of qualifying  now

As mentioned on the broadcast, Bradish’s ERA is the lowest by an Orioles’ qualified starter since Mike Mussina in 1992.  In terms of ERA+, I’ll need to see what it is in the morning, but I believe it’s the best since Bedard in 2007 (146).   

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think you are right.  I don't know if he knew...not sure anyone did.  Well maybe Wildcard...ha ha.

Hell, Bradish is 6-1 with an ERA in the neighborhood of 2.25 since the trade deadline.  Nobody saw that coming.  The entire rotation is stepping up when it matters most, but I don't think anybody should feel embarrassed about thinking the O's needing pitching any time during the season.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Hell, Bradish is 6-1 with an ERA in the neighborhood of 2.25 since the trade deadline.  Nobody saw that coming.  The entire rotation is stepping up when it matters most, but I don't think anybody should feel embarrassed about thinking the O's needing pitching any time during the season.

You can never have too much pitching.

I’m not sure how he isn’t considered a true ace with his performance this year and I think he still has another level. I’ve posted many times that Bradish’s growth (and TWells before the arm fatigue) has been the single most important development for the big club this year. 

I maintain that management needs to prioritize an elite starter this off-season. A rotation with Bradish, GrayRod, Means, Kremer and (insert elite starter) has to be considered one of the best in baseball.

I posted this a while back in another thread; if this version of GrayRod (since his recall) is the pitcher that he will be going forward, the O’s have four guys in their rotation who have pitched to sub 4 ERAs either in their careers (Means), this year (GrayRod if we count only the second half and Bradish) or last year (Kremer who has flirted with sub 4 ERA for a lot of the season). That could mean going into the playoffs and going into next year that they have four pitchers who can pitch to sub 4 ERAs. No other team in baseball has that rotation talent. Add another elite arm and the O’s could have a legitimate argument for the best rotation in baseball…anchored by Kyle Bradish.

I really hope that the Yankees don’t hold out Cole from his last start to preserve the ERA title. That’s a very Yankee thing to do. I don’t expect Gray to start another game with the Twins having locked up their division but I suppose we’ll see. It would be awesome for Kyle if he were to win the ERA title. Maybe he throws 8 more shutout innings against the Sawx and gets it anyway. 

Edited by banks703

8 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I really hope that the Yankees don’t hold out Cole from his last start to preserve the ERA title. That’s a very Yankee thing to do. I don’t expect Gray to start another game with the Twins having locked up their division but I suppose we’ll see. It would be awesome for Kyle if he were to win the ERA title. Maybe he throws 8 more shutout innings against the Sawx and gets it anyway. 

The best thing would be if the Yanks hold Cole out for the ERA title and Bradish pitches the last game of the season and throws another shutout to beat Cole (which I believe is possible).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluedog said:

The best thing would be if the Yanks hold Cole out for the ERA title and Bradish pitches the last game of the season and throws another shutout to beat Cole (which I believe is possible).

I believe tomorrow is Cole’s day to pitch.  I very much doubt he will be held out.  Toronto is in a wild card race and the Yankees will do their best to knock them off.   

27 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I believe tomorrow is Cole’s day to pitch.  I very much doubt he will be held out.  Toronto is in a wild card race and the Yankees will do their best to knock them off.   

Then there’s the small matter of Sonny Gray.   His natural turn falls on Friday, but I can’t imagine him starting that day with a Tuesday playoff game looming.  He’s probably going to sit there at 2.80.   It would take 4 shutout innings for Bradish to finish under that.  It might not be a terrible idea to let Bradish go 4-5 innings on Sunday to keep too much rust from accumulating before a start the following Saturday.  But I don’t know how the O’s would feel about that.  

A Cole clunker, and a Sunday hero turn in a hot game that would only become necessary if the Orioles flub the next few days might make it interesting.

I think 50-ish pitches in a cool game Sunday could be useful for one fringe benefit - Bradish only had 20-25K attendance tonight and in the Thursday Tampa opener.

Sunday might give the life experience going to the OPACY mound in a fuller house as will happen again next weekend for real real.

I do think tonight may have clinched him getting the 3rd finalist spot over Castillo, Gausman, Eflin, etc for the promotional programs around the award reveals, assuming MLB does those kind of shows again this year.

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

No chance that Hyde let's Bradish throw more than 5 innings Sunday.  They'll want him fresh for the 1st playoff game.

If Bradish and Grayson are TOR starters, all of the sudden the need for a TOR free agent seems to go out the window, especially given the uncertainty of the guys out there.  Yamamoto is the only guy that I would be interested in who is possible TOR, and I think he is going to go for big $$$--maybe $200mm