Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

34 minutes ago, joelala said:

Roger Clemens comes to mind. And that’s not necessarily hyperbole. Most likely won’t have anywhere near the career, but I do see some similarities. 

My only concern with Grayson is durability (obviously.) He doesn’t have the build of any of the guys like Clemens or Verlander or Scherzer. It’s mainly his gait that concerns me as it looks like his hips are tilted (i.e. one side higher than the other.) 

I see similarities to Clemens.  The ease with which he throws gives me hope he can be durable.  He’s bigger @ 6’5” 230 than all the guys you mentioned except Verlander, who is listed 6’5” 235.  He will likely add 5-10 lb over the next few years.  He’s a big dude.  First time I saw him up close my jaw almost dropped.  He’s an imposing figure.  Haven't noticed the gait. 

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

What if Angelos broke the bank and we got Blake Snell for 5 years @100 million...if we somehow did that...I think this team with all it's young talent...would be the best team in the AL...Hey, come to think of it...we might be...already...but adding Snell would put us over the top...

Five years at $100M is not in the ballpark.  He's seeking $200M. It may not take $200M, but I would expect the AAV to be closer to $30M per year than $20M per year.  Remember, Snell is the hands-on favorite to win the NL Cy Young and is only 30 years old, while guys like Scherzer and Verlander are pulling in over $43M per year. 

MLB analyst thinks Blake Snell's $200 million contract demands will exceed Padres' resources come offseason (msn.com)

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Say O! said:

Grayson top5 in Stuff+ for SPs since July 1st — link to fangraphs

Vencouraged by both Grayson and Bradish performance this year and both have markers (Stuff+) that will TOR performance will continue, and as Frobby points out, team control for many years into the future.

The O's have two of the top five in the fangraphs ranking (Bradish ranks #2, only behind Corbin Burnes).   Having two aces at the top of the rotation is very nice going into October.  

12 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The O's have two of the top five in the fangraphs ranking (Bradish ranks #2, only behind Corbin Burnes).   Having two aces at the top of the rotation is very nice going into October.  

That puts us solidly in tier 3.  😉

• Haha 1

In the category of contact management, here is 2nd half Grayson being the only qualified SP in MLB smothering Bats to a Barrel percentage less than 4%.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&season=2023&season1=2023&ind=0&type=24&month=31&sortcol=8&sortdir=asc&pagenum=1

A readout like this generally fits with k-bb not standing out as much as ERA and Stuff+.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

It might be time to invest in a sports psychologist. 

The moment was just too big for him and he couldn't self-correct.

It was really painful to watch.

Multi-million dollar arm.....

Yeah you could tell he had good stuff yesterday, but his mind started going bezerko when he didn't get those early strike calls. 

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

It might be time to invest in a sports psychologist. 

The moment was just too big for him and he couldn't self-correct.

It was really painful to watch.

Multi-million dollar arm.....

And yet he came up huge in game 3 of the Tampa series which was huge.  I’m not disagreeing with the idea that the moment was too big for him yesterday but I chalk it up to a painful learning experience.  Also, I believe the Orioles already employ a sports psychologist.