Why We Love Baseball

BRobinsonfan

No, I have not.  So I'm sure this is good, but I really don't have a lot of interest in the recent Posnanski books.  The Top 100, again, it's probably really good but how many books do we need on the best players in baseball history? I've probably read 1000 pieces on Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays, starting when I was about nine years old.

Nothing against Posnanski, I'm sure the writing is good, he loves baseball, and this will probably sell a ton of books.  But I doubt I'll read it.  I'd rather find some obscure bio of Long Levi Meyerle.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, I have not.  So I'm sure this is good, but I really don't have a lot of interest in the recent Posnanski books.  The Top 100, again, it's probably really good but how many books do we need on the best players in baseball history? I've probably read 1000 pieces on Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays, starting when I was about nine years old.

Nothing against Posnanski, I'm sure the writing is good, he loves baseball, and this will probably sell a ton of books.  But I doubt I'll read it.  I'd rather find some obscure bio of Long Levi Meyerle.

Sent me down the rabbit hole.  Thanks.  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi_Meyerle

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/meyerle01.shtml

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just today I was looking for at least the Sabr bio of Meyerle, and it's not there. I think the best there is, is the entry in one of the 19th Century Stars books they put out years ago.

Maybe this can be my retirement gig, researching and writing bios of obscure 19th century players.  After Meyerle I'll tackle Perry Werden, the man who hit 88 homers between 1894-95.