Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

Another homer for Westburg. Slugging over .570 now, which is by far the highest for him at any level other than his very first assignment at Delmarva. OBP and K% this year have been as good as they've ever been.

Can't keep this guy down there for much longer. You would think part of the value proposition of drafting him in the first place was that he was pretty polished coming out of college.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

2-3 with 2 BBs. Homer and a double..3 RBIs. OPS is up to 987, including a 313 BA.

Would you just move Frazier out?  We probably should to be honest.  Really makes the signing of Frazier kind of hard to justifiy

I hear all the justification talk for keeping these guys down (ie. maximum value/40 man flexibility/acclimation period) but to me with Cowser and Westburg we have a legitimate chance to reset this roster and for the better. To me, a big part of the hold is that there is no one to play 1st other than Mounty. If they felt comfortable with Santander at 1st here and there, then both these moves makes sense. O’Hearn and Stowers go, leaves Vavra around for a super sub role, and moves Frazier to part time player. Also, with Mateo struggling, it allows Gunnar to play SS 1-2 times a week. In a given week, Westburg can play:

2nd base: 2 games

3rd base: 1-2 games

DH: 1-2 games

In a given week, Cowser can play:

LF: 2-3 games

CF: 1 game

DH: maybe 1 game here or there.

• Upvote 1

Pitching was atrocious on both sides tonight but Cowser and Westburg looked great in person - they mashed the ball. Westburg made a couple of nifty plays at 3rd. Cowser DH’d. Was disappointed not to see him field. They definitely seem more than ready.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Would you just move Frazier out?  We probably should to be honest.  Really makes the signing of Frazier kind of hard to justifiy

Frazier is the poster child and on field coach of their hitting philosophy and what they are teaching.  Solid pay for a teaching gig.  I don’t see him going anywhere this year, especially with the other youngsters they will be bringing up throughout the year. 

11 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Pitching was atrocious on both sides tonight but Cowser and Westburg looked great in person - they mashed the ball. Westburg made a couple of nifty plays at 3rd. Cowser DH’d. Was disappointed not to see him field. They definitely seem more than ready.

Westburg did make some great plays at 3B last night on some difficult balls.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chaka Garcia said:

I keep hearing he has an average, how were the throws across the diamond? 

Good.  I think when folks are saying “average” they mean average for a MLB player which is exceptional and nothing to sneeze at.  He’s a good defender, he’s just not gonna win you a handful of games with his glove like Manny could. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Good.  I think when folks are saying “average” they mean average for a MLB player which is exceptional and nothing to sneeze at.  He’s a good defender, he’s just not gonna win you a handful of games with his glove like Manny could. 

🏻 I think this is fair. No opportunities for crazy plays down the line or anything last night but he did make a pretty running scoop and throw to first on a close play. Looked fluid. Better than Lara did at SS.

• Upvote 1

I was surprised when I checked and found out that Westburg has never played 1B in the minors.  I was thinking a good role was splitting time w/ Frazier at 2b and backing up 1b.  Would be nice to eliminate need for O-'Hearn.  Is backup 1B really worth a roster spot.   Westburg was never likely to end up at SS in the majors, so it would have made sense for him to see time at 1b. 

Elias really needs to make some trades soon.  The O's minor leaguers at 1B to 3B might be better right now than the majors.  Not sure that has ever been true for the O's.  Cowser's .471 OBP is just insane.  Have to find a spot for him somehow, and taking McKenna's role is not it. 

From what I can see, he seems to be a pretty good athlete with pretty good speed.  I wonder if he could play a passable CF?  I've read several times he's an extremely hard worker/gym rat type; wonder if he could pick up multiple positions quickly and become our super utility guy.

12 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Yes, Frazier needs to be moved/phased out. This situation is one of several reasons most of this message board thought the Frazier signing was terrible. Frazier has been blocking two premium prospects who could be helping the team win now (Ortiz is technically helping the team today, but only because Mateo is getting a day off). 

Frazier's OPS+ is 91. He's not a good hitter. Like Odor last year, he's had timely hits. And unlike Odor, Frazier does a decent job taking pitches and working some walks. But Frazier shouldn't have been signed, and the sooner Westburg and Ortiz are everyday players, the better for the major league team both short-term and long-term. 

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 4