Ramon Urias 2023

Just Regular

18 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the info. See this is why I think we signed Frazier…. Urias’ knee. Maybe why we didn’t trade him also. 

The whole thing is kind of weird...I'm not sure whose insurance didn't want to cover him (Team Mexico? The Orioles? his own personal insurance?) but in any case it's concerning overall.

Urías said the sprained right knee he suffered in Boston last September was the reason he’s not playing in the WBC. He was looking forward to playing with his brother, Luis, an infielder with the Milwaukee Brewers.

“It was medical insurance that they didn’t want to cover me because of the injury that I had last year,” Urías said. “Everything was fine. They just didn’t want to cover me. It was very disappointing because I was very excited to represent my country and play with my brother in that tournament, but unfortunately it won’t happen.”

(Though I still wouldn't have signed Frazier, but that dead horse is getting beaten so much we might actually resuscitate it...and zombie horses seem dangerous so I'll let it lie...)

18 hours ago, interloper said:

No, he was but there was a weird health insurance thing with his knee injury from the end of last season, so he pulled out. 

That's odd, I've read the CBA (albiet last one) but don't remember anything remotely like that in the sections govening winter ball or "barnstorming".  I'm sure he is correct but I don't remember anything about a transfer of medical responsibility.

1 minute ago, SemperFi said:

That's odd, I've read the CBA (albiet last one) but don't remember anything remotely like that in the sections govening winter ball or "barnstorming".  I'm sure he is correct but I don't remember anything about a transfer of medical responsibility.

The CBA is one thing, health insurance is something else.  

10 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

The whole thing is kind of weird...I'm not sure whose insurance didn't want to cover him (Team Mexico? The Orioles? his own personal insurance?) but in any case it's concerning overall.

Urías said the sprained right knee he suffered in Boston last September was the reason he’s not playing in the WBC. He was looking forward to playing with his brother, Luis, an infielder with the Milwaukee Brewers.

“It was medical insurance that they didn’t want to cover me because of the injury that I had last year,” Urías said. “Everything was fine. They just didn’t want to cover me. It was very disappointing because I was very excited to represent my country and play with my brother in that tournament, but unfortunately it won’t happen.”

(Though I still wouldn't have signed Frazier, but that dead horse is getting beaten so much we might actually resuscitate it...and zombie horses seem dangerous so I'll let it lie...)

Will the zombie horse be playing in the WBC?

On 3/11/2023 at 10:46 AM, CharmCityHokie said:

Following Edwin Diaz's injury in the WBC, there was some more clarity (at least for me) regarding the insurance situation for players:

"players who participate in the World Baseball Classic are covered under an insurance policy regardless of the severity of their injury, as Jorge Castillo of the L.A. Times reported back in February. Insurance, or lack thereof, is the reason that Clayton Kershaw did not participate in this year’s tournament, as his injury history was deemed too high-risk to be covered under the umbrella policy. Kershaw looked into taking out a personal insurance policy but ultimately announced that he would not be a part of Team USA."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/edwin-diaz-knee-surgery-eight-months-patellar-tendon.html

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Can we talk about Ramon's delightfully swaggy bat drop after the home run? 

https://www.mlb.com/video/ramon-urias-homers-1-on-a-fly-ball-to-left-center-field-gunnar-henderson?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

Great start for him. 2-4, 2 RBI, good ABs. If he keeps up his home run ability that began to blossom last year, he could be in for a career year.

If he's playing well, it will be a tough decision on whether or not to trade him. My current thought is that I would trade him if the return was a bullpen stud of some kind, because if the team wants to compete for the playoffs, that's the area they need to attack more than even starting pitching IMO. But it would really have to be a back-end stud for the amount of control Urias has left. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Can we talk about Ramon's delightfully swaggy bat drop after the home run? 

https://www.mlb.com/video/ramon-urias-homers-1-on-a-fly-ball-to-left-center-field-gunnar-henderson?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

Great start for him. 2-4, 2 RBI, good ABs. If he keeps up his home run ability that began to blossom last year, he could be in for a career year.

If he's playing well, it will be a tough decision on whether or not to trade him. My current thought is that I would trade him if the return was a bullpen stud of some kind, because if the team wants to compete for the playoffs, that's the area they need to attack more than even starting pitching IMO. But it would really have to be a back-end stud for the amount of control Urias has left. 

He is the most underrated player on the team but what is his long term outlook compared to what we have. He can’t be the long term third baseman and is the glove good enough for second and even if it is, do we want him over Westburg?

I think his value to us is continued good performance and then use him a trade for pitching.  

• Upvote 2