Ramon Urias 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As to Stowers, it’s a matter of an infielder getting hurt, so he is not needed.  Nothing astonishing about it.  Westburg vs. Ortiz would be a tougher choice, but with Ortiz on the 40-man he probably gets the nod.  

Not the move, just in general.  If you had told me this time last year Ortiz was up and Westburg & Stowers weren’t, I wouldn’t have believed you. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Ortiz is 6 months older. I am guessing he was Rule 5 eligible and Westburg wasn't. Unless you want to push someone off our 40 man roster or lose Ortiz it makes sense for Ortiz to be the first add and for Westburg to wait. 

Stowers is in AAA because he isn't great at defense and isn't a better hitter than Santander or our DH options. Eve Rosenbaum had a good explanation of this the other day. Now, you could make an argument to trade Stowers or trade someone to make room for Stowers, but for now he doesn't really have a role. 

I completely get it, it’s just a wild turn of events.  This time last year Ortiz was a level below both.  I was also a little shocked that Westburg wasn’t on 40 man.  All the roster adjustments/manipulations aren’t my forte.  Why would he not have been eligible for Rule 5?  MiLB service time?  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

I completely get it, it’s just a wild turn of events.  This time last year Ortiz was a level below both.  I was also a little shocked that Westburg wasn’t on 40 man.  All the roster adjustments/manipulations aren’t my forte.  Why would he not have been eligible for Rule 5?  MiLB service time?  

Age and *minors* service time. Ortiz was drafted a year earlier.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Not the move, just in general.  If you had told me this time last year Ortiz was up and Westburg & Stowers weren’t, I wouldn’t have believed you. 

Fair enough.  Ortiz really turned things around last July.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

From Roch:  "Ramon Urias has returned to the lineup and is playing second base.  He left Saturday's game after being  hit in the head by a 96.2 mph singer."

So, how in the hell do you get hit in the head with a sinker?

The correct question is how in the hell do you get hit in the head with a singer?

• Upvote 1

It feels like Ramon has had so many big moments recently. Several web gem plays at second base. Starting key double plays. Clutch RBI hits.

Adley and Mountcastle's bats have been quiet during this win streak.

Over the past four games, Ramon is batting .307 with 5 RBIs. His OPS is up to .744. That's top 5 among the regulars and ahead of guys like Santander, Mountcastle, Frazier, and Gunnar.

He's on pace for 2.95 rWAR and that's while playing just 80% of the time.

Nice to see him playing well! 

• Upvote 4

Reposting from the thread I'll be deleting shortly:

After 1 month:

.274/.369/.397/.766, 115 OPS+, 0.6 bWAR

He's out-pacing his good 2022 by a fair margin offensively, but he's been worse defensively. Well below average in OAA, if you like that stat. Could be a lot of noise with the sample size, or that he's playing a good amount of 2B, etc. 

Honestly I haven’t noticed his defense being off. Rdrs has him +2 at 2B, -2 at 3B so far.  UZR has him +0.9 at both.  He’s looked pretty good at both to me. 

In any event, 0.6 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR is very healthy for the 28-game mark.