Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

19 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

The more important question is: So, who still wishes we had Bobby Witt Jr instead of Rutschman? 😆

Advantage Rutschman so far, and I strongly preferred him, but it will take several years to truly know who turned out better.  Witt is off to a slow start but 10 games won’t decide what kind of season or career he has.  

Tom Davis got Elias to sit down in Florida and I saw the episode this past weekend.    Not sure if the Take Me Out to the Ballgame was a rerun by then, or fresh the other day.

Elias volunteered there was a Bobby Witt camp in his draft room, but also the viewpoint that today "we don't want to give him back".

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

To give some idea of how WAR can fluctuate day to day, yesterday Adley was at 0.2 for the season. After his 4 for 4 with a homer, today he’s at 0.5.   

WAR for catchers is useless. It's simply far too difficult to measure a catcher's defensive and game calling impact. There was a reason we sucked before he got here and then started winning when he arrived. We cant measure his contributions behind the plate.

Not to be lost among the other great offensive performances of the past few days is that Adley is currently slashing .395/.490/.628.  I've liked that of his 3HR, 2 have been moonshots, the type he hit consistently in the minors.  His throwing has been on point as well.  He looks every bit as good as advertised in the early going.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Not to be lost among the other great offensive performances of the past few days is that Adley is currently slashing .395/.490/.628.  I've liked that of his 3HR, 2 have been moonshots, the type he hit consistently in the minors.  His throwing has been on point as well.  He looks every bit as good as advertised in the early going.

Adley is just ridiculous.  Other guys will have hot and cold spells, and maybe someone will have a career year and put up a higher OPS than he does, but Adley is as reliable and consistent as they come.  By the way, I love him in the 2 spot.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Adley is just ridiculous.  Other guys will have hot and cold spells, and maybe someone will have a career year and put up a higher OPS than he does, but Adley is as reliable and consistent as they come.  By the way, I love him in the 2 spot.  

Right now Hays, Adley and Mountcastle are a problem sandwiched together. I like that 1-2-3 punch. I'm sure Adley likes the protection. Mullins wasnt giving him much in the way of RBI opportunities.

If Adley can continue this from the right side of the plate, (And there is no reason to think that he cannot, given his non-Major League history of being a very good hitter from both sides) he is an MVP caliber kind of player. His plate discipline is beyond elite and he is SO consistent from AB to AB and game to game!

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

If Adley can continue this from the right side of the plate, (And there is no reason to think that he cannot, given his non-Major League history of being a very good hitter from both sides) he is an MVP caliber kind of player. His plate discipline is beyond elite and he is SO consistent from AB to AB and game to game!

I know its early, but if Ohtani didnt pitch then you would have to say Adley would be a 2nd tier MVP candidate. It would be Trout and Judge as the favorites. Followed by Adley, Rodriguez and Guerrero. Hes right there and that good.

4 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

I know its early, but if Ohtani didnt pitch then you would have to say Adley would be a 2nd tier MVP candidate. It would be Trout and Judge as the favorites. Followed by Adley, Rodriguez and Guerrero. Hes right there and that good.

I agree on everything you say except for Trout. I am not as high on him now as some. He definitely is showing signs of age. I’m not sure he can handle high heat very well. Unless balls are down in the zone (in his sweet spot) I think he can be pitched to. Also, his arm in the outfield has become a liability. And he is starting to become injury prone. I would take Adley over him now and definitely going forward.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree on everything you say except for Trout. I am not as high on him now as some. He definitely is showing signs of age. I’m not sure he can handle high heat very well. Unless balls are down in the zone (in his sweet spot) I think he can be pitched to. Also, his arm in the outfield has become a liability. And he is starting to become injury prone. I would take Adley over him now and definitely going forward.

96 MPH average EV is signs of age?  60% HH%?  19+% BB%?  Man, you've got high standards for a 31 y/o future first round HOF ballot guy...  

33 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

96 MPH average EV is signs of age?  60% HH%?  19+% BB%?  Man, you've got high standards for a 31 y/o future first round HOF ballot guy...  

Don’t get me wrong is still a wonderful player. He’s just not the guy he used to be… To be fair neither am I…lol

I don’t think he will keep that up as the season wears on and fatigue sets in.