Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

I'm with Roy on this one, Irvin strikes me as a reasonable back of the rotation piece, but nothing more. I remain unconvinced that the strategy of putting out mediocre pitchers and relying on the park to bail them out of trouble is a playoff formula. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pretty rough game for Irvin yesterday, walking 4 guys.   He’s definitely is one of those guys who’s going to look bad on days when his command isn’t quite up to its usual standards.   Still, he kept us in the game.  

He may have walked 4 guys, but I personally think he was getting screwed by the home plate umpire, and then he totally lost it.  He threw two pitches to Hicks before the single....one on which Jim Palmer said, "right down the middle".....the next one was pretty much the same spot.  

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

He may have walked 4 guys, but I personally think he was getting screwed by the home plate umpire, and then he totally lost it.  He threw two pitches to Hicks before the single....one on which Jim Palmer said, "right down the middle".....the next one was pretty much the same spot.  

Here is the scorecard:

I don't see anything "Right down the middle" that wasn't called.  Do you?

The zone was a bit tight there at the bottom of the zone but it wasn't that bad, at least it was pretty consistent.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Here is the scorecard:

I don't see anything "Right down the middle" that wasn't called.  Do you?

The zone was a bit tight there at the bottom of the zone but it wasn't that bad, at least it was pretty consistent.

Well, the only logical explanation is that the scorecard must be wrong.   And how dare you bring facts to a hypothetical argument 🙂   Seriously, they are showing one of those pitches (#2) above at the bottom of the zone, but a strike.  The pitch right before or after it was just about the same place, possibly also on this chart, but not called out??  

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Well, the only logical explanation is that the scorecard must be wrong.   And how dare you bring facts to a hypothetical argument 🙂   Seriously, they are showing one of those pitches (#2) above at the bottom of the zone, but a strike.  The pitch right before or after it was just about the same place, possibly also on this chart, but not called out??  

The one call was a miss...at the edge of the strike zone.  Not something I would call right down the middle.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Didn't think they would act that fast on Irvin, but I haven't seen anything from Irvin so far that suggests he will fare well in the AL East.

He’ll be back at some point.  He’s a command pitcher but his command has been way off. 

This is wonderful news and music to my ears. When you are afraid of the Triple A A’s and nibbling and throwing 3-2 change ups to their 9 hitter. You have no place on a major league roster as a starting pitcher, especially for a team that at least gives lips service to attempting to be a playoff caliber team. He was horrible and I saw absolutely no hope with the stuff he has for that changing right now. I hope Kremer’s leash is getting shorter as well. We cannot survive the season when 3/5ths of the rotation are this bad. Grayson is understandable because he’s young and trying to find command. The other 2 inexcusable for the performance.

7 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I can't imagine they're planning on going without a lefty in the starting rotation long term. Could this just be a move to add add some arms to a depleted bullpen with the idea that they'll call Irvin back up for his next scheduled start? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Didn't think they would act that fast on Irvin, but I haven't seen anything from Irvin so far that suggests he will fare well in the AL East.

Me neither. With odd quirk in schedule next week he could really only miss one start. Two game series in DC sandwiched around 2 off days.