THe Sun states the obvious (re: trade deadline)

blueberryale77

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really.

If someone wants to block someone like Trachsel or Payton through waivers, we let them go.

Minor leaguers don't have to go through waivers, do they?

I think anyone on the 40-man roster does. Is that correct?

Not really.

If someone wants to block someone like Trachsel or Payton through waivers, we let them go.

Minor leaguers don't have to go through waivers, do they?

Minor leaguers could be PTBNL.

I think the O's would pull Payton back if he were claimed.

If someone puts in a claim, and we say "he's all yours", what happens? Do they have to take on the remainder of his contract? Even if it's a multi-year deal?

I remember reading somewhere Steve Phillips claimed a few hundred players one year. So I don't think they have to make a deal happen.

A primer:

Revocable Waivers

A player placed on waivers is offered to the other teams over a window of 47 hours (starting at 2 p.m. EST and ending at 1 p.m. two days later). After the trading deadline on July 31 and before the end of the World Series, players on the 40 man rosters must pass waivers before being traded.

* If another team makes a claim on the player, the team waiving the player may take him back or give him to the team making the claim.

* If two teams claim him teams in the same league have priority over those in the other league. After this consideration, the team with the worst record upon expiration of the waiver window is the team whose claim is considered valid. For all players waived in the first month of the season, the previous year's team records are used to determine waiver claim priority instead of the current year's records.

* If no team claims him, the player is said to have cleared waivers for the remainder of the waiver period, and the waiving team may keep, trade, or release the waived player, or they may send to the minors if he doesn't have five full years of service time.

* A team may only post a player and pull him back once during a waiver period, so if a player is posted for waivers twice by the same team in the same waiver period, the team which claims him the second time gets him with no possibility for the initial team to pull back. August is its own waiver period, so a team may only post and pull a player once between the trading deadline and September.

link

I remember reading somewhere Steve Phillips claimed a few hundred players one year. So I don't think they have to make a deal happen.

He probably only clamed guys that he really wanted and guys that the other teams wanted to keep. I think if you claim a guy, you have to be willing to take him. Teams have gotten stuck with guys that they've claimed.

If someone puts in a claim, and we say "he's all yours", what happens? Do they have to take on the remainder of his contract? Even if it's a multi-year deal?

Yep. It's the same as regular waivers.

Before Phillips, there was an unwritten rule where no team claimed other players when they went through waivers during that time, because you didn't want a situation where you wanted to make a deal and the other owner would block you. Then, showing the amazing baseball acumen that has made him part of the regular rotation of Baseball Tonight as opposed to having a real job, Steve Phillips started claiming everything that wasn't nailed down, and that was that.

Reason Infinity+1 that his opinion on matters should be taken with a grain of salt the size of a small gas-giant planet.

Bradford and Walker could fetch a top 5-10 prospect IF we pay half of the their contract or so.

We signed these guys as long-term bullpen help. That's why we gave them those contracts.

We aren't going to trade them anyway, but we definitely aren't going to do that AND pay the other team money. Nor should we since unless we get a very good hitting prospect it doesn't make much sense.

Payton should be dealt for anything...Trax same thing(or he should be released).

That's all well and good, but we aren't going to get anything for Trachsel, and likely not Payton.

Pathetic absolutely pathetic. There is no excuse for inaction, none. We've got moveable pieces. MacPhail just doesn't have the balls to trade them...

A 14 year old could have evaluated this team in a month. Hell a 14 yr old might do a better job in the FO than the guys that are there...

They might as well start having DCab take grounders at 1st... :mad:

Archived