Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

45-28 with a great group of young talent and loaded farm system. I've my entire life for this. It's now arrived. I joined Orioles Hangout to talk more about the Os with my fellow fans. I arrive and discover that even though we are playing so well right now the sky is falling and we suck ass. 

How does discussion of improving the team's weakest links equate to "we suck ass"?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why aren't you questioning their behavior?

I’m just defending him because it seemed like he was being ganged up on for doing the same things everyone else does all the time. If he’s genuinely a troll, my apologies and ya’ll can go ahead and boot him. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

They played Odor and he wasn’t making that much money. I think the front office is an odd mix of a hyper analytical approach but they also seem to value  “veteronisity”. I think they see value in Frazier. It is an extremely odd approach IMO. 

They do have a strange mix of an analytic approach along with some headscratching veteranosity moves.

The one thing they have in their corner though? Winning! 

Saying that, as others have said, winning is great but when you can clearly upgrade a position, the best teams won't hesitate to do so. 

Clearly the organization has better options for regular 2B play, and besides, Frazier actually does strengthen the bench because of his ability to make contact and hit in high leverage situations.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No way you don't know what 4Chan is.

Or is no longer the cool place for the 13 year olds?

I assumed by a certain person's posting style that they were 13...but they claim to have served in the military. Weird, everyone I guess comes out of experiences in life with different lessons, but I really expect someone with a military background to be able to have a grown up dialogue on a fan site message board.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I assumed by a certain person's posting style that they were 13...but they claim to have served in the military. Weird, everyone I guess comes out of experiences in life with different lessons, but I really expect someone with a military background to be able to have a grown up dialogue on a fan site message board.

With Enlisted folks it's a real mixed bag.  Someone that was four (or fewer) and done might not have much of an impact in how they conduct themselves.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

They do have a strange mix of an analytic approach along with some headscratching veteranosity moves.

The one thing they have in their corner though? Winning! 

Saying that, as others have said, winning is great but when you can clearly upgrade a position, the best teams won't hesitate to do so. 

Clearly the organization has better options for regular 2B play, and besides, Frazier actually does strengthen the bench because of his ability to make contact and hit in high leverage situations.

Their approach to playing young guys vs veterans is so odd. If the player is a top talent like Gunnar or Adley, they commit to playing them every day, even Grayson kept getting starts. For every other young guy getting called up though, they bury them on the bench behind mediocre veterans. We're seeing it now with Ortiz, last year (and this) with Stowers (and to a lesser extent Vavra). Even with Gunnar he's played a lot at DH. I don't know if it's Elias or Hyde, or most likely a combination, but they REALLY prefer veterans on defense, and that seems to keep them in the lineup. 

Hyde pre-game today was asked about Mateo and he was like whatever on his offense he's third in MLB for SS DRS, so it makes up for it, and up the middle defense is the most important. Meanwhile, Ortiz who is a good defender, is available to him as a replacement. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Their approach to playing young guys vs veterans is so odd. If the player is a top talent like Gunnar or Adley, they commit to playing them every day, even Grayson kept getting starts. For every other young guy getting called up though, they bury them on the bench behind mediocre veterans. We're seeing it now with Ortiz, last year (and this) with Stowers (and to a lesser extent Vavra). Even with Gunnar he's played a lot at DH. I don't know if it's Elias or Hyde, or most likely a combination, but they REALLY prefer veterans on defense, and that seems to keep them in the lineup. 

Hyde pre-game today was asked about Mateo and he was like whatever on his offense he's third in MLB for SS DRS, so it makes up for it, and up the middle defense is the most important. Meanwhile, Ortiz who is a good defender, is available to him as a replacement. 

It does seem like the Orioles decisions weigh heavily on DRS. Here's what fangraphs says about DRS 

Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) is a defensive statistic calculated by The Fielding Bible, an organization run by John Dewan, that rates individual players as above or below average on defense. Much like UZR, players are measured in “runs” above or below average, and Baseball Info Solutions data is used as an input. Since DRS is measured in runs, it can be compared easily with a player’s offensive contributions (wRAA or similar statistics).

So if it can be compared to wRAA (Weighted Runs Above Average (wRAA) measures the number of offensive runs a player contributes to their team compared to the average player. )for offense, here's what I have for Mateo,Frazier and a few other selected infielders. Seems like Mateo is the only one with the defense that makes him close to an average player, but still his offense brings down his defense.

Henderson    -1 - DRS   6.2  wRAA    Total:  5.2
Mateo            7 - DRS   -8.9 wRAA    Total: -1.9  
Frazier            0 - DRS   -5.3 wRAA    Total: -6.3
Mountcastle - 1 - DRS   -5.6 wRAA    Total: -6.6

So using those runs above average, only Henderson has been above average. Frazier and Mountcastle have been disasters.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It does seem like the Orioles decisions weigh heavily on DRS. Here's what fangraphs says about DRS 

So if it can be compared to wRAA (Weighted Runs Above Average (wRAA) measures the number of offensive runs a player contributes to their team compared to the average player. )for offense, here's what I have for Mateo,Frazier and a few other selected infielders. Seems like Mateo is the only one with the defense that makes him close to an average player, but still his offense brings down his defense.

Mateo            7 - DRS   -8.9 wRAA    Total: -1.9  
Frazier            0 - DRS   -5.3 wRAA    Total: -6.3
Henderson    -1 - DRS   6.2  wRAA    Total:  5.2
Mountcastle - 1 - DRS   -5.6 wRAA    Total: -6.6

So using those runs above average, only Henderson has been above average. Frazier and Mountcastle have been disasters.

Urias: He's been a -2 DRS at 3b and 3 at 2b wRAA .5 Total: 1.5

Adding it all together, and still makes no sense. But the Orioles have an extreme preference to playing vets, and it's just bizarre 

4 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Adding it all together, and still makes no sense. But the Orioles have an extreme preference to playing vets, and it's just bizarre 

It makes some sense if you're going to be second guessed a lot.  Angelos family maybe?  The Baltimore media seems pretty tame.

Frazier's career stats (3,302 plate appearances) show that (i) June, by a large margin, is his worst month and (ii) May and July--again by a large margin--are his best.

May .771

June .644

July .765

So he's been on pattern so far. The career stats also show only a .020 difference between first and second halves, i.e. they largely even out his record of having poor Aprils and Junes.

Edited by LA2